Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:56 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

TR nailed it.

All of these cars are spendy and they all have followings. They're all for "sport" and are therefore emotionally based discretionary purchases. There's a certain emotional vesting that's bought in either way.

What's interesting about C8 (on a Porsche forum) is that it's not just Vette vs 911 fanboys going at it. There's a LOT of Porsche lovers and owners (many lifetime) taking a serious look at C8 for what it is and it's not just HP/0-60/etc for the money. It's the total effort.

Performance, sure. But style, exterior, interior, the engine where it finally needs to be to lay that power down and you can see it through glass like an Italian super car, the whole thing. So far the two strongest counter points are it's only as rigid as a new 911 vert and it's much less likely to grace the pages of the Robb Report years down the road as a bubble wrapped 300 mile museum piece like many 911's and it's less likely to be an "investment" (as if a garden variety 718, 991.2 or later non GT car will ever be LOL!)

Cool. Points deducted from C8. Duly noted.

Meanwhile, 992 base (for sure) to S (probably) to GTS (reasonably likely) to even Turbo...possibly Turbo S level performance out of an amazing looking car, NA V8, what *could be* a PDK-esque DC, for the cost of a base almost stripped Cayman.

But muh torsional rigidity!! It's (suddenly) the end all be all for a sports cars worth!! Ignition issues from the past!! It's a waste of $60K because it's not an appreciating asset!!! LOL ok.

Obviously it won't put the 911 out of business no matter how well they may be able to execute. I don't think anyone anywhere even wants it to. But this breathless speculation of potential Achilles heels as a defense mechanism to justify Porsche's premium hierarchy make it seem all the more that C8 is going to be a disrupter and reach even further out of its caste than ever before.

And that's just the base version.
The following 2 users liked this post by StudGarden:
Caustic (07-31-2019), SoCal-NSX (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, call it coincidence or not, but there's a lot more C7 for sale now than there was a week ago.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:08 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
BTW: You math is a bit off regarding the 981 vs 987 Boxster torsional stiffness percentage increase:

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...2013-boxster-s

As fast1 posted earlier The 718 Boxster S torsional stiffness is 19,000 N-m/deg.
I googled up the "40% stiffer" data point from this article about 981:
https://www.autozine.org/Archive/Por...xster_981.html
"Overall, torsional rigidity has been lifted by 40 percent from the old car, while kerb weight has been cut by 25-35 kg with all things considered. "

But, correct, if the 718 is 19,000 Nm/deg then the numbers don't quite add up -- close enough for govt work.

Porsche has had many years to work on the Boxster platform (introduced in 1996 + 4 years in development), they have been making steady improvements to the chassis which is very commendable.
Yes, and I believe they need to re-focus to their original light-weight and driver involvement/feel ethos, instead of joining everyone else in the race for more HP, more LBs, and more driver detachment.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
As I'm enjoying my 05 Boxster S on my back-roads every day, a thought would sometimes come that I need extra 200hp and extra 600lb like I need a bullet to my head, regardless of price and 0-60 times. The fact that it's <1/3 the price of a new C8 doesn't hurt either.

Sure, I'll test drive a C8 in a year or two when new ones get discounted by 10-20% and slightly used ones by 35%+, but I doubt it will be more fun on my back-roads than either my Boxster or my 996 GT3. We will see. There are infinite amounts of sports car bargains out there that EXACTLY match what anyone wants in a sports car. The trick is to step away from the marketing Kool-Aid machines, know yourself, know what makes you happy, and just go get that.
Looking great , looks like new except for the scored front rotor
Old 07-31-2019, 03:44 PM
FType-R
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
There are car enthusiasts and brand ******. Enthusiasts can appreciate Porsche and Corvette for what they offer.

May borrow that for my sig on another forum, with your OK.
The following users liked this post:
Caustic (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
As I'm enjoying my 05 Boxster S on my back-roads every day, a thought would sometimes come that I need extra 200hp and extra 600lb like I need a bullet to my head, regardless of price and 0-60 times. The fact that it's <1/3 the price of a new C8 doesn't hurt either.

Sure, I'll test drive a C8 in a year or two when new ones get discounted by 10-20% and slightly used ones by 35%+, but I doubt it will be more fun on my back-roads than either my Boxster or my 996 GT3. We will see. There are infinite amounts of sports car bargains out there that EXACTLY match what anyone wants in a sports car. The trick is to step away from the marketing Kool-Aid machines, know yourself, know what makes you happy, and just go get that.
NA Goodness. Loved mine, and while fast as sin, sound enhanced with sport cats, and a better all around driver my 3.0TT does not have the soul of the 3.6 NA in my very similar now departed 08’ Boxster S RS60. THIS speaks to the appeal of the C8 - 6.2L of NA V8 goodness. Overbuilt, under-stressed beast of a motor. Despite people waiting for the Z06, ZR1, etc., the NA LT2 might be the best of the bunch for the real world, much like the LT1 was in the C7 GS. The GS was just a Stingray with the GTS treatment - that you can still option on the C8 now, so if pure NA is what you want, the C8 now, barring any QC teething issues may be the best deal going.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:26 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Guys since Ive been around Porsche - a long time now - its always been if the 911 has a 0.01 second better lap time it is absolute proof that it is a superior car. If it loses by a full second the other car has less interior or isn't built as well or is some other kind of inferior junk. It is a 911 thing I guess. Guys would say about my 981 they didnt know it was THAT fast. Ha. You just stand on that right peddle and turn.

When we first had the first year 951s we knew we could toast those 911s. We had at least as much and maybe more hp and better handling for sure. Suddenly it was that we didnt have Real Porsches! Uhhh yeah. That crest on it looks the same to me.

I never knew what caused 911 Craziness and now Porsche Complete Craziness. It must somehow be related to the fact that the cars roots are in Volkswagens.

I told this before. One of the girls here bought her own base Cayman. She wanted it and got it. No husband of boyfriend thing. One of the guys at PCA always gave her a hard time about her car. Yeah she's a babe. But anyway I bring mine and she asks me to hang with her so she can get away from that mess. Sure enough the guy comes to badger her. I say hey what are you in? He points to it and says 911. I say " A 996? Those things are worth about as much a lawnmower huh ?" That ends all that and she is delighted. I mean Cmon man.

I love the Porsche cars and the heritage. But I'm not blinded either.... REALLY!
Your post reminds me of an incident that occurred to me about a year ago. My brother took a six month assignment in Europe, and rather than putting his GT4 into storage, he asked me to drive it periodically. So I drove the GT4 to a country restaurant where I was to meet my wife after work. The restaurant had an outdoor bar, and I ordered a drink while waiting for my wife. While at the bar I noticed a 997 pull into the lot. The car looked great, and the only thing I didn't like was the Carmax badge on the rear of the car. If it were my car, I would have removed that badge as soon as I got home from the dealership. So a young couple got out of the car, and went to the bar and sat close enough to me where I could easily hear their conversation. The woman who appeared to be in her early 20s told her companion that the GT4 looked really fantastic. I had to smile when he told her that it wasn't a "real Porsche", and that it was just a Cayman. I was tempted to educate the guy about the pseudo Porsche, but I thought he was just trying to impress his date. So I let it pass. I wonder if the guy realized that the pseudo Porsche cost at least $50K more than his used 997.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:42 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 900 Likes on 402 Posts

FWIW,

Talked to my Chevy dealer today and he told me that's an internet rumor about being sold out....said most of the dealers first allocations are spoken for, but it's a misleading rumor that they're almost sold out... pricing isn't even released until Aug 15th, besides the $59,955 base...he's guessing the z51 pkg will be about $10k.

Regardless, I think it's safe to say, like it or not, there has never been a car released with as much buzz as this C8 Corvette and it's not even close.

I must say, even in its base form, the white one looks clean as f***

The following users liked this post:
Craigy (08-05-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I must say, even in its base form, the white one looks clean as f***
That looks sweet, clean design without the Z51 spoilers.
I wasn't impressed with the C7's paint consistency, at least the first ones off the line, will check out the C8 when they start being delivered.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 PM
timlot
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
+10

The high quality C8 interior. Really? You can't line that shyte up any better than that?
This would drive my OCD a little nuts.
That angle makes it appear misaligned, but the stitching continues around the edge. That looks to be clip from Donut Media. If you look around the 7:45 mark you can see its a straight continuation. Slowing the video down helps.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA will have the new C8 Corvette at their facility August 1 and 2, 11 am until 7 pm.
Thanks for the info. Drop by today to check out the C8. The C8 was even more stunning in person than the pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by LnC993:
Craigy (08-05-2019), Dan87951 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

First he says the car in the video is a Z51 and eludes to it having the "0-60 Z51 Performance Package", then I think I heard him say it was $55K !!!!
He started the car and rev'd the engine, but he didn't drive it.. not even one inch.
Sometimes people mis-speak, just like sometimes people mis-spell.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by timlot
That angle makes it appear misaligned, but the stitching continues around the edge. That looks to be clip from Donut Media. If you look around the 7:45 mark you can see its a straight continuation. Slowing the video down helps.
https://youtu.be/U-JiQZPiIXU?t=465
Nah, it's misaligned. I hope that stuff gets ironed out before delivery.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
That looks sweet, clean design without the Z51 spoilers.
I wasn't impressed with the C7's paint consistency, at least the first ones off the line, will check out the C8 when they start being delivered.

I posted an article that they built an entirely brand state of the art new paint shop.

Some more info on options:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...-trim-options/

Name:  photo899.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  728.3 KB
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Thanks for the info. Drop by today to check out the C8. The C8 was even more stunning in person than the pics.

Good to hear. Nice pics.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?