Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 PM
msdunkel
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The good news is there are lots of Porsche dealers. If I were you I'd make some calls. Although I appreciate that Porsche dealers will try to sell GT4s with ADMs, there is no reason whatsoever to pay them.
There are only 2 dealers in the Atlanta area and it was almost as if I was talking to the same guy. I get it that repeat customers will get priority and this would be my first Porsche which puts me at the bottom of the list. Regarding ADM, I know its business but I take it personally and wouldn't buy a car that required such an absurdity. Once dealers get their allocations and it becomes obvious that either they will have plenty of inventory or the car will be scarce I'll be able to make a better decision; hopefully I can buy locally but I'd travel/ship if I had to. (Un)fortunately? I've also got my eyes on fire-sale '19 ZO6's or even ZR1s. I know its not cool to admit it here, but I like GM products and with only 1 exception in 25 years of continuous ownership they've caused me very little trouble. It is my belief that in the month following the C8 release there will be a sweet spot where there's still enough existing inventory to get something close to what I want and the price will be low enough to the bottom that it will make sense to stop waiting and buy. At that point my choice will be made for me if I haven't already ordered a Spyder.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Getting "off topic"? It's about a Corvette on a Porsche forum. That's like a 180 deal, the motorcycles and A Basin are actually bringing it back....
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Snowboarding on loose granular popcorn is a colorful topic all by itself.
pizza burns/serious skin off from ice crystals is a real thing when it's 70F outside.... then there's UVB/cosmic, alpha/gamma rays, mesons, high energy barions and serious skin cancer risk taking root from one end of your body to the other but i digress-----
Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
There are only 2 dealers in the Atlanta area and it was almost as if I was talking to the same guy. I get it that repeat customers will get priority and this would be my first Porsche which puts me at the bottom of the list. Regarding ADM, I know its business but I take it personally and wouldn't buy a car that required such an absurdity. Once dealers get their allocations and it becomes obvious that either they will have plenty of inventory or the car will be scarce I'll be able to make a better decision; hopefully I can buy locally but I'd travel/ship if I had to. (Un)fortunately? I've also got my eyes on fire-sale '19 ZO6's or even ZR1s. I know its not cool to admit it here, but I like GM products and with only 1 exception in 25 years of continuous ownership they've caused me very little trouble. It is my belief that in the month following the C8 release there will be a sweet spot where there's still enough existing inventory to get something close to what I want and the price will be low enough to the bottom that it will make sense to stop waiting and buy. At that point my choice will be made for me if I haven't already ordered a Spyder.
I don't believe that C8s will be available until late 2019. So maybe January 2020 will be a good time to shop for a Z06 or ZR1, but I already saw a 2019 Z06 for under $70K at the Kerbeck site. If I were you I'd be patient with ordering a GT4. In six months, a year at the latest, it's a virtual certainty that you'll be able to order a GT4 at sticker. The GT4 should be awesome on the track, and I can't wait to read reviews from Rennlist owners.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 AM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
I somewhat envy you guys who have a hankering for a new hot rod........ I just do not feel it any more....... reached a point where a NICE car is simply a comfortable appliance to me.........

Mebbe I will go blow a wad on a new pickem up truck with all the toys......... but that is about it.

my Carerra 4 is 20 years old and truth is I like looking at it more than I actually like driving it. Haven't been on the Harley in 4 years and don't have a hankering to, any more.

When I was a young punk I had vets, a '72 soft top and '60 I never got put back together......... I was a rabid fan at that time, then cam the rug rats.....
I was pretty much thinking these very same thoughts a couple of days ago - for the very same reasons. Plus, since I live in winter snow country, a high performance sports car pretty much spends 4 months in the garage. My Audi A6 Quattro is 13 years old, still handles quite nicely, has decent speed, looks great, and can easily out-perform any 4x4 SUV or pickup in the snow. Plus it rides comfortably.

We're gettin' old, Gretch! Maybe it's not even a matter of "gettin'" anymore!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Last edited by odurandina; 07-13-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 AM
Crisis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
I sure hope not. That first rendering of the front 1/4 view looks very awkward. And the plastic in the front fascia looks really cheap.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:17 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

I remember reading/seeing in Car and Driver a few years back about how many competitions they did about the Vette vs 911. It came out fifty/fifty for the most part.
And yes, I just read this week GM is 'X'ing the Camaro.
Have a buddy I track with, drives a Camaro ZL1-1LE, super reliable, drives to track, drives home. I just have a 7.2 C2S and he kicks my butt. However, my first day on the track
in 2014 with my pro-touring Camaro, I had an instructor named Bill Gleason. He took me out in his Cayman S (may of been an R) and rode the a$$ of a C-7r for about 10
laps until we spun off course. He had me in the passenger seat while the Vette driver had "no bags of sand" in his passenger seat.
Two each there own, driver, driver, driver....I'm looking forward to seeing it and hopefully driving one, but I think you'd have to pry my 911 from my cold dead hands for any
other sports car.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:58 PM
polecat702
Vegas, Baby!
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
IF I had a Corvette it would be a 65-67 coupe with a new 6 speed and LS. Lots of other underneath upgrades = resto rod. We have like a neighbor hood car show out my back door a couple of miles every October in Westlake. Guy had a '60 Vette in yellow with a black interior with yellow stitching. Then I started looking more. Big red "Corvette" brakes, LS under the hood. Guy was watching me as I got down and half way crawled under it. He was smiling at me when I came up. So, custom frame, rack and pinion coil overs, late model Vette IRS. So I asked what did this little project cost? " don't want to say. I loved the old Corvettes but wanted a new one underneath".

As for lust, I'm happy right were I am Gretch. I only take it out on nice days when the mood hits me. 90% of my driving is my new F150 crew cab. Got it optioned just the way I wanted it. It fits us old guys real well. I give Kirk a hard time but he got a new pick'em up last year too. Down our way nice trucks just do the job.

Last time I was working in the patch in Midland, I could have sold my El Camino, on the spot every time I stopped for gas, or to grab a bite. Never saw another one in the 3 months I was there. Lot of older men would have traded me their crew cabs too for it. I'll keep it till I croak, it's paid for it self many times over and I still drive it almost every day. Best $6200.00 I ever spent, and for it's day it was loaded.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM
polecat702
Vegas, Baby!
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 163 Posts

Here is THE DEAL: IF the new Corvette passes muster with Joe.....I'll go check one out. Not saying ready to part with Ms.911 but willing to get curious anyhow.
As for that "dry heat" comment, only Texas guys can say that.
It's furnace hot here in Vegas, like 108. FWIW, it's always a dry heat! I like the picture of the new Vette, I'm not a fan of blue, but I think it'd look awesome in badass black. IMHO, all sport cars look better in black, but that's just me.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Don't know about your ElCamino, but I had a red '79 back when. The new Vette will be Intresting.
by the way, do you still on some property around Fredricksburg?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Looking forward to the launch. If GM pulls it off it will be a disposable track car. Buy first year, drive snot out of it. Trade in for year 2. Rinse and repeat. Bring to Porsche dealer. Do donuts in parking lot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mussl Kar:
ajcjr (07-15-2019), stephen k (07-23-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Looking forward to the launch. If GM pulls it off it will be a disposable track car. Buy first year, drive snot out of it. Trade in for year 2. Rinse and repeat. Bring to Porsche dealer. Do donuts in parking lot.
I want it to succeed as much as anybody, but I am thinking it won't get there in the first year. Let's see how it goes....
Old 07-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As for that "dry heat" comment, only Texas guys can say that.
Add Texas to Bakersfield, CA! We've been saying, "Yeah, but it's a 'dry heat,'" for twenty years!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 07-16-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:35 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 519 Posts

Did one of these run at this years Le Mans 24hr race back in June

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?