Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:05 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Hmmmm....
Old 07-19-2019, 03:09 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Why can't GM make a good looking vette? The rear is absolutely terrible, appears designed by amateur children again.
Agree. I don't know why they would cheapen the rear by making it look like a Camaro. I mean the Camaro is the Lada of sports cars.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Post up links and more images please very interested to see the new Car .............
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Looks interesting with the Z51 package - C8Z51 Vs 718GT4 will be very, very interesting in the US market
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
C6 Vettes are the best looking. The mid-engine version is interesting enough to me that I’ll test drive one, but the 981 cars are better looking and I have no reason to believe the GM product will have equal quality, fit and finish.

Looks are are subjective and I love the 981, but this is on another level imo

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

I think that for some fun tomorrow, I'll call my Porsche sales rep and tell him that I want my deposit back on the Spyder, because I'm buying the Corvette.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 AM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Comes with a removable top too. Too bad it’s auto only.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:29 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

$60k mid engine car that does 0-60 in under 3.0. Very intresting.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
I never ever thought that I would be typing these next words, but after the C8 reveal: I’m considering a Corvette over a GT4. What? Am I crazy???

Key wins for the ‘vette:

1) 0-60 sub 3 seconds! GT4 is 4.4, that’s leagues slower.

2) Mid-engined now so potential for similar handling to the GT4. Will await reviews.

3) Removable roof panels for a bit of open air driving. Nice optional touch. I don’t like convertibles, but have always thought this is a fun option.

4) Apparently one journalist said the C8 can fit 2 golf bags in the back trunk. GT4 fits zero. I enjoy golfing and the ability to take 1 set of clubs to the course is a huge plus.

5) Better HP/weight ratio.

6) More importantly, I can walk into any Chevy dealer next year and buy one at or below MSRP without ANY BS! I can’t say how much the BS has turned me off of Porsche as a brand. Had a deposit for the OG GT4, didn’t get allocation. Transferred deposit to 991.2 GT3, didn’t get an allocation. Transferred deposit to 718 GT4, dealer requires $10K ADM to get allocation. For those of you who have a relationship with your dealership and walk in and buy a car at MSRP may not understand this point, but for a new Porsche customer this has been infuriating. I just want to drive a beautiful fun sports cars with my hard earned money, not have to beg and bribe my local dealer to get the “opportunity” to buy a car. It’s not an exclusive club, it’s a car. If Porsche doesn’t want my money then I might move on and say good riddance.

7) HALF PRICE for BETTER PERFORMANCE - I can take a C8 on the track, crumple it into a ball of metal, go buy another new one and still be at the same price as a GT4.

I might need you guys to talk me off of this ledge, but the new C8 especially if I wait for a Z06 or whatever, seems very enticing. Oh and I’m not at all an old-school Chevy fanboy. I’m 34 years old and typically dislike North American cars. It’s been a dream of mine to own a Porsche since grade school. However I’m also smart with my money though and can start to see when I’m being taken advantage of. Porsche is doing that now with all the allocation, ADM BS. Like many dreams, maybe not everything that glitters is gold........
In general, you’re right, it’s about twice the car for the money compared to Porsche. While adding the track tire/brake etc package and upgrading the interior to be comparable to Porche in materials would probably push the price up to $75k USD, a new GT3 costs double that. While the GT3 is probably still a better car, this should be comparable by most performance metrics while half the cost.

Regarding GT4 0-60 MPH, Porsche claims 4.2 seconds (4.4 is 0-100 km/h). Also, given past test results of the 981 GT4, US magazines will probably measure a time around 4.0 seconds. Next year, a PDK version will come out, with 0-60 probably around 3.5 seconds according to US magazine numbers.

For reference, for the 718 GTS, under Elon Musk’s favourite performance metric, Car and Driver got 3.6 seconds PDK and 4.1 seconds manual. Given that they got 4.0 for the old 981 GT4, and the new one has similar low end torque better high end, 4.0 or 3.9 is likely for Car and Driver with the manual 718 GT4. The PDK is probably half a second quicker as it was with the GTS, so 3.5 seconds sounds likely.

I suppose the other differences are big car vs small car, dual clutch vs manual (if you want the manual GT4), loud budget Ferrari styling vs more restrained Porsche styling. I’d also question first year C8 Corvette reliability, but that will probably improve with time.

Historically, Porsche GT cars have held their value well compared to Corvette, so for say a 4 year period of ownership, if you can get the car for MSRP (as in the Canadian market) or at least near MSRP, the depreciation of the Porsche GT car is less than than the depreciation of the equivalent Corvette, despite the Corvette having half the MSRP. I don’t know how 718 GT4 depreciation will play out given the economy, longer production run, and competition from the mid engines Corvette.

Am I questioning my 718 Spyder order? At least somewhat. I have a Spyder order at MSRP that’s reasonable (equivalent to $84k USD before options, $95k USD after options and dealer fees). I don’t know what Canadian Corvette pricing will be, but let’s say it’ll be equivalent to $70k USD after some reasonable options are added. The 718 Spyder’s depreciation per year will probably still be lower, and I prefer the more restrained/elegant exterior styling, much more elegant and space efficient interior, much more compact dimensions, lighter weight, and manual transmission. However, the Spyder will still have around 10% worse power to weight ratio than the Corvette, and the Corvette should be a whole second quicker 0-60 MPH, not that I care.

Last edited by wizee; 07-19-2019 at 04:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wizee:
Latitude34N (07-19-2019), Rxpert (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

I think it looks really good almost reminds me of the Acura nsx. The bang for buck on performance is amazing as well
Old 07-19-2019, 05:30 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
In general, you’re right, it’s about twice the car for the money compared to Porsche. While adding the track tire/brake etc package and upgrading the interior to be comparable to Porche in materials would probably push the price up to $75k USD, a new GT3 costs double that. While the GT3 is probably still a better car, this should be comparable by most performance metrics while half the cost.

Regarding GT4 0-60 MPH, Porsche claims 4.2 seconds (4.4 is 0-100 km/h). Also, given past test results of the 981 GT4, US magazines will probably measure a time around 4.0 seconds. Next year, a PDK version will come out, with 0-60 probably around 3.5 seconds according to US magazine numbers.

For reference, for the 718 GTS, under Elon Musk’s favourite performance metric, Car and Driver got 3.6 seconds PDK and 4.1 seconds manual. Given that they got 4.0 for the old 981 GT4, and the new one has similar low end torque better high end, 4.0 or 3.9 is likely for Car and Driver with the manual 718 GT4. The PDK is probably half a second quicker as it was with the GTS, so 3.5 seconds sounds likely.

I suppose the other differences are big car vs small car, dual clutch vs manual (if you want the manual GT4), loud budget Ferrari styling vs more restrained Porsche styling. I’d also question first year C8 Corvette reliability, but that will probably improve with time.

Historically, Porsche GT cars have held their value well compared to Corvette, so for say a 4 year period of ownership, if you can get the car for MSRP (as in the Canadian market) or at least near MSRP, the depreciation of the Porsche GT car is less than than the depreciation of the equivalent Corvette, despite the Corvette having half the MSRP. I don’t know how 718 GT4 depreciation will play out given the economy, longer production run, and competition from the mid engines Corvette.

Am I questioning my 718 Spyder order? At least somewhat. I have a Spyder order at MSRP that’s reasonable (equivalent to $84k USD before options, $95k USD after options and dealer fees). I don’t know what Canadian Corvette pricing will be, but let’s say it’ll be equivalent to $70k USD after some reasonable options are added. The 718 Spyder’s depreciation per year will probably still be lower, and I prefer the more restrained/elegant exterior styling, much more elegant and space efficient interior, much more compact dimensions, lighter weight, and manual transmission. However, the Spyder will still have around 10% worse power to weight ratio than the Corvette, and the Corvette should be a whole second quicker 0-60 MPH, not that I care.
What a well thought out and informative response, thank you. Although I’m questioning the GT4 a bit at the end of the day your post solidifies the decision for a GT4. I can be in the Porsche spring 2020 and enjoy it for a few years. If the Corvette is actually the bees knees I can trade out the GT4 in a few years with less loss and pick up a Vette probably for a discount and after all the year 1 and year 2 kinks are worked out. Or if I love the P-car I can keep it and enjoy
Old 07-19-2019, 05:51 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Good:
- Front profile
- Side profile
- Interior look (esp tan)

Neutral:
- interior button layout
- infotainment screen

Bad:
- Back bumper design and lights and exhaust layout
- Weight
- Rear spoiler

Overall a mixed bag. Unfortunately I expect the Z06 variant to be even heavier which is unfortunate.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Initial impression: looks really good in the pics. Bet it's even better in person.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 103 Posts

60k, 500hp, and 3300 lbs? Oh man. This or a base 718?
Old 07-19-2019, 07:25 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks pretty slick and is 1/2 the price as my current spec'd Spyder. Maybe I need to rethink this, lol. The lift sounds cool but no way I would trust a Chevy auto lift. I can only see this breaking and randomly lifting the nose while on the track.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?