Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 07:18 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 GTS is engine out today for this . I was right at the end of warranty which I wouldn't do again . If you have a problem get it fixed .It was about a 3 month cycle to get it in get the authorization from Porsche ,schedule a loaner . They clean the engine first time in and spray or coat on a telltale solution ,revisit in 1000km and then get approval from Porsche .

I rarely take a car in for warranty but this is too big a number to miss when its going to be for sale . Otherwise I am one of those just live with it people .

If I have post repair issues I will update .This Macan never thru a code ,never had a update .
Old 01-11-2022, 01:45 PM
burgerdog
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just hoping that the leak doesn't come back after getting it fixed. I'm still under warranty for three more years, but either way I hope it's something I never have to deal with again.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:24 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 421 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by w2ge
I didn’t look at my dealers hourly rate, but 25 hours of labor to come up with $10,500 is $420 per hour. Ummm, really?😳🤬. I can’t find my quote papers at the moment and iirc it did not list labor hours, but I think from other threads Porsche TSB specifies 20 hours to do the job. Seems like it would take more, but I think that’s the rate. So the hourly tech rate is even higher? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yeah, labor seems really high, parts too. Not sure what it was to get to 4,500 but in looking at the diagrams it didn't look like it should come close to that. And 10,500 in labor, even at $200 an hour is 52.5 hours which seems excessive (maybe the rate is slightly higher, but it won't make that much of a difference, even at $250 it's still over 40 hours). I can't see how, even with dropping the engine, a tech would be working on the car continuously for 6 1/2 days straight (assuming 8 hour days). I wonder what they budgeted for in the work and parts. I wish it were easier to trust the dealers to do the right thing.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:45 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Yeah, labor seems really high, parts too. Not sure what it was to get to 4,500 but in looking at the diagrams it didn't look like it should come close to that. And 10,500 in labor, even at $200 an hour is 52.5 hours which seems excessive (maybe the rate is slightly higher, but it won't make that much of a difference, even at $250 it's still over 40 hours). I can't see how, even with dropping the engine, a tech would be working on the car continuously for 6 1/2 days straight (assuming 8 hour days). I wonder what they budgeted for in the work and parts. I wish it were easier to trust the dealers to do the right thing.
Parts are easy to figure out, there's a few list around so one can just look up the MSRP form the part number.

Number of hours... I had mine done under the warranty and reviewing the dashcam after I got the car back it was on the lift for 6 full days, and that's before the calibration and alignment,
so 40ish hours sounds right.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Laboring

If Porsche says 21.5, that’s their reimbursement to servicing authorized dealer albeit at a lesser hourly rate if under warranty or CPO or 3rd party insurance methinks… a competent tech can probably do this blindfolded by now in less actual time…
Old 01-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by w2ge
I didn’t look at my dealers hourly rate, but 25 hours of labor to come up with $10,500 is $420 per hour. Ummm, really?😳🤬. I can’t find my quote papers at the moment and iirc it did not list labor hours, but I think from other threads Porsche TSB specifies 20 hours to do the job. Seems like it would take more, but I think that’s the rate. So the hourly tech rate is even higher? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Last time I read it was a 40+ hour job, they are dropping the entire front end of the powertrain from A/C to transfer case..... Wonder if we can get a tech to inform us on actual hours to do this job?
Old 01-12-2022, 07:16 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Faust T.
Parts are easy to figure out, there's a few list around so one can just look up the MSRP form the part number.

Number of hours... I had mine done under the warranty and reviewing the dashcam after I got the car back it was on the lift for 6 full days, and that's before the calibration and alignment,
so 40ish hours sounds right.
It was on the lift for 6 days, but were they working on it the whole time? I've seen cars on the lift at the dealership for half a day and no one touched it. You shouldn't be paying labor for it to just be there. Not that I drop engines all the time, but a full week of work just seems excessive.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:33 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 885 Likes on 543 Posts

So here's my theory on the labor cost. Because of how involved the project is and even though someone isn't working on it 24 hours for 6 days straight because that's just not possible, the car ties up a lift AND an engine stand which most dealers only have one or maybe two of if that so that delays or potentially loses revenue. So maybe there's some "labor" algorithm that is applied to the car taking up the space so the dealer can bill back to Porsche for. I suspect this is the case as that is how some dealers can magically lower the quote if you are out of warranty and push back. Again, I'm not saying I agree with this. Just throwing out an idea.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:00 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rasetsu
So here's my theory on the labor cost. Because of how involved the project is and even though someone isn't working on it 24 hours for 6 days straight because that's just not possible, the car ties up a lift AND an engine stand which most dealers only have one or maybe two of if that so that delays or potentially loses revenue. So maybe there's some "labor" algorithm that is applied to the car taking up the space so the dealer can bill back to Porsche for. I suspect this is the case as that is how some dealers can magically lower the quote if you are out of warranty and push back. Again, I'm not saying I agree with this. Just throwing out an idea.
If that's really what happens, then that's BS. They should have the parts before the fix is started and the tech should be working on that project until it's done. If that takes 20 hours then it's not quite three days of work, with no overtime. The lifts, etc. being used is factored into the labor rate already. You aren't paying for storage while they fix your car. The items should only be tied up while the work is being done. If they pull the tech for something else then that's on the service department. And most likely if the estimate to fix is 20 hours the techs probably can actually get it done quicker. At least that's been my typical experience.

Too bad there isn't a tech, or service advisor, to chime in here as to why a quote for something like this fix would be so costly.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:40 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
It was on the lift for 6 days, but were they working on it the whole time? I've seen cars on the lift at the dealership for half a day and no one touched it. You shouldn't be paying labor for it to just be there. Not that I drop engines all the time, but a full week of work just seems excessive.
look, a lift is valuable for any shop so there's no reason to let a car to sit on it if it's not being work on, especially when it's done under warranty,
Porsche pays the dealer a fixed rate and hour so there's absolutely no reason for them to make it longer than it should.

You may not see them actually working on the car, but the tech can be working on the engine itself while the vehicle sits on the lift.
The following users liked this post:
Slow Guy (01-18-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 12:04 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Faust T.
look, a lift is valuable for any shop so there's no reason to let a car to sit on it if it's not being work on, especially when it's done under warranty,
Porsche pays the dealer a fixed rate and hour so there's absolutely no reason for them to make it longer than it should.

You may not see them actually working on the car, but the tech can be working on the engine itself while the vehicle sits on the lift.
I'm not an idiot I understand a lift is valuable for a shop. However, what I referenced there were absolutely not working on anything related to the car, the engine was in front of it, nothing on anything around the car being worked on, not tech and no one touching anything in that service bay. It did appear this was a lift that was most likely used for these situations where a car may be on it for a while, i.e. they needed to diagnose something and weren't going to waste time putting the car back to together. It was obviously not a normal tech station (i.e. no fixed cabinets, tool boxes, etc. at the station like the others in the shop). If you can afford it and are able to put in enough lifts it would make sense to have an "extra" for certain situations.

That said, in the scenario we are talking about here they don't need to take the car apart to diagnose the problem so the Macan should not be sitting on a lift waiting for anything. When the car goes in the parts should be available and it should be getting worked on and completed without delays. You shouldn't be paying "extra" labor hours because it's on a lift waiting to be worked on. I still stand by not understanding how this particular fix would take enough time for over $10k in labor. Especially for a skilled technician.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:24 PM
macan2021
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by missmy993
I recently bought a CPO '16 Macan S with 30K miles. A few weeks later I was learning about the new to me car and removed the lower engine cover to check out the oil filter location etc. When I did that I noticed oil on the lower radiator hose near the front passenger side tire. This did not seem right so I took it to the P car dealer near me (not the dealer I purchased it from) and they discovered an oil leak from the valve/timing cover. The dealer ordered the parts and repaired the car under warranty. I asked the service adviser how much the repair would have cost out of pocket, he said around $9000. The invoice lists 20 hours of labor and states "preformed val, pictures taken, removed engine and resealed timing cover".

I have no beef with the servicing dealer as they provided me with a brand new Macan (a good car but I missed the extra HP of the S). I do wonder about the selling dealer. As part of the CPO process the car had an oil change done and it seems to me that a technician would have noticed that leak (I noticed it). I suspect most owners do not ever look under the car so this could have gone unnoticed and would have been a huge issue if the car was out of warranty. The CPO status was not enough to protect me from this.

I have seen other posts about Macans leaking oil, hard to say if this will become a known issue or not. I also just saw a video about a Macan oil leak discovered by an indy shop with the narrator suggesting that people should have a good indy shop inspect your car as the dealer may overlook things like this.

I am posting this as a reference point, no replies needed.
2017 Macan S 46k miles, just barely out of warranty period (approximately 6 months). An oil change tech noticed engine leaking oil from above this week. this is after a 40k scheduled service at a porsche dealer last year with no flags.

Took it to a Porsche specialized independent mechanic and he diagnosed the problem as a timing cover leak. Quoted the cost to fix of ~$4,500. He said there are 2 solutions: (1) engine out fix and and (2) complete remove/disassemble the front of the car (bumper, radiator, maybe some a/c components) and he recommended #2 as the cheaper solution. Seemed like a knowledgeable guy. Said it would take 5-6 days to fix, but I unfortunately don't have time to get it fixed now as I'm on a road trip and we are leaving the area before that. Worth checking him out if you are in Miami - Roly's European Auto Center. Obviously can vouch his solution works fully, but seemed like a knowledgeable guy and has good reviews online.

Last edited by macan2021; 01-14-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 AM
macan2021
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macan2021
2017 Macan S 46k miles, just barely out of warranty period (approximately 6 months). An oil change tech noticed engine leaking oil from above this week. this is after a 40k scheduled service at a porsche dealer last year with no flags.

Took it to a Porsche specialized independent mechanic and he diagnosed the problem as a timing cover leak. Quoted the cost to fix of ~$4,500. He said there are 2 solutions: (1) engine out fix and and (2) complete remove/disassemble the front of the car (bumper, radiator, maybe some a/c components) and he recommended #2 as the cheaper solution. Seemed like a knowledgeable guy. Said it would take 5-6 days to fix, but I unfortunately don't have time to get it fixed now as I'm on a road trip and we are leaving the area before that. Worth checking him out if you are in Miami - Roly's European Auto Center. Obviously can vouch his solution works fully, but seemed like a knowledgeable guy and has good reviews online.
can't * vouch
Old 01-15-2022, 05:28 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by macan2021

That seems more like what it should be...
Old 01-19-2022, 08:11 PM
misterioso
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own a Macan, but I've been actively researching the S, GTS, and Turbo to ensure I have all the facts needed to make an informed decision when purchasing. I hope the folks here don't mind a few questions.
  • I see that typically only one or two bolts are replaced during the repair and that Porsche doesn't completely remove and replace both covers with all new bolts. They simply replace the bolts that show signs of fatigue. The remaining original bolts are left in place untouched. Is that an accurate assessment?
  • The OEM replacement bolts are aluminum, with the exact same spec as the original bolts. There was no change to components, but the torque specification was changed. Is that accurate?
  • I've seen a few posts where Macan owners suffered a 2nd incident of timing cover leaks after undergoing a previous warranty repair. Are these isolated incidents or is this a situation where failure will possibly occur again after a certain amount of age and mileage"
  • I've seen forum members say they planned on finding steel bolt replacements. Has anyone successfully sourced steel replacements and were they successful in making the conversion?
  • The aftermarket has been able to solve issues that Porsche refused to address. LN Engineering's IMS bearing and Nickie cylinders come to mind. Considering the number of Macans on the road, are any aftermarket companies looing at the situation?
I've used ARP fasteners in a lot of projects and swear by them. I would think the folks at ARP, if involved, would be able to look at sheared OEM bolts and recommend and/or make a better and possibly permanent solution. Hypothetically, if they did make a solution, such a fix would require completely removing both covers and replacing all bolts with their product. That would not fit the recommended Porsche service bulletin procedure as it calls for replacing only the broken bolts without completely removing the covers. I'm thinking an aftermarket solution could only be accomplished without the coverage of warranty repairs, meaning it would have to be covered out of pocket.

I hope I don't impose on anyone by asking these questions, but this TCC issue could make or break my decision to buy a pre-owned Macan. Thanks

Last edited by misterioso; 01-19-2022 at 08:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by misterioso:
JSchilberg (07-04-2022), MTVP49 (01-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Cautionary Tale of Oil Leak (timing cover)