Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Factory service manual states anytime the trapezoidal pan is removed/replaced an alignment is required.

V6
Is everyone getting an alignment with the new gearbox?

What happens if they do not do an alignment? Is there a way to ensure alignment isn't moved while removing/replacing the new transmission?

Voyager6 - this is the first I've read of an alignment included in the protocol. Is the factory service manual on-line?
Thanks for the info.

Would appreciate hearing from others who had the job done, and whether an alignment was included. If not - did they notice a difference in tire wear or handling that would be attributed to a change in alignment?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

Take a sharpie and put a witness mark on both of the eccentric’s for the camber and the toe in the rear. That way you can just look under the car and see if the alignment has been changed. You also can request a print out if they insist on aligning the car . Carl
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM
noddy981
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage

What happens if they do not do an alignment? Is there a way to ensure alignment isn't moved while removing/replacing the new transmission?

Voyager6 - this is the first I've read of an alignment included in the protocol. Is the factory service manual on-line?
Thanks for the info.

Would appreciate hearing from others who had the job done, and whether an alignment was included. If not - did they notice a difference in tire wear or handling that would be attributed to a change in alignment?
I will say again "Yes an alignment is carried out under the direction of the technical bulletin". If you want proof an alignment has been carried out then request the 'initial' and 'final' printouts. The dealership should be happy to supply you with a copy of these if requested in advance.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked my service advisor when I dropped off my car for its transmission replacement today and he confirmed that they need to do an alignment as part of the job.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Repair complete.
No break in necessary.
I did not get an alignment. My tech indexes everything he does on the car. The alignment is indexed, and they took great care not to change anything. No alignment needed.
They have done several of these gearbox replacements with no issue and no alignment needed.
Clearly - if care is not taken and adjustments are not indexed - one would need an alignment.

Service manager explained no coolant flush because the factory sends a new oil to coolant heat exchanger with the transmission and they disconnect what is on the car and reconnect the new parts as one unit (how it was sent from Porsche). They check and confirm proper transmission fluid level and proper coolant level making sure everything is working to spec, and everything was assembled and torqued by hand to spec.
They also checked (at my request) the clutch pressure plate (removing what was needed to check the consumables). All was good - no new clutch needed so they buttoned it up.

After test driving to be sure it was good - I got the call to pick it up.

I saw the cost for the warranty repair (my copy says 00.00). Just over $13,500. Labor was $1222.

Invoice said WJ88 replace manual transmission
Cause: 066
Manual gearbox part #: 1 000-043--210-99
same gasket and hex nuts, spacer sleeve, hex screws, hex bolt as listed by another member above.
Based on my math it took about 8.5 hours (labor total $1222 divided by $145/hour = 8.43 rounded)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Repair complete.
No break in necessary.
I did not get an alignment. My tech indexes everything he does on the car. The alignment is indexed, and they took great care not to change anything. No alignment needed.
They have done several of these gearbox replacements with no issue and no alignment needed.
Clearly - if care is not taken and adjustments are not indexed - one would need an alignment.

Service manager explained no coolant flush because the factory sends a new oil to coolant heat exchanger with the transmission and they disconnect what is on the car and reconnect the new parts as one unit (how it was sent from Porsche). They check and confirm proper transmission fluid level and proper coolant level making sure everything is working to spec, and everything was assembled and torqued by hand to spec.
They also checked (at my request) the clutch pressure plate (removing what was needed to check the consumables). All was good - no new clutch needed so they buttoned it up.

After test driving to be sure it was good - I got the call to pick it up.

I saw the cost for the warranty repair (my copy says 00.00). Just over $13,500. Labor was $1222.

Invoice said WJ88 replace manual transmission
Cause: 066
Manual gearbox part #: 1 000-043--210-99
same gasket and hex nuts, spacer sleeve, hex screws, hex bolt as listed by another member above.
Based on my math it took about 8.5 hours (labor total $1222 divided by $145/hour = 8.43 rounded)
Great info as always.....I'll see how mine goes next week since it will be the first for my dealership.......Phil
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the update "needmoregarage", I'll have my dealer inspect the clutch/pressure plate while they're in there. I'll try to talk my SA into swapping out the coolant as its "suggested" ; )
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
Great info as always.....I'll see how mine goes next week since it will be the first for my dealership.......Phil
What dealership do you use Phil? Mine goes in to Porsche North Houston today.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Klepper
What dealership do you use Phil? Mine goes in to Porsche North Houston today.
I'm doing a early morning drop at West on Monday morning......You and I will need to compare work orders when we're all wrapped up.......Phil
Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Got my car back today with new transmission. Car drives great and shifts exactly as before. Dealership noticed my custom suspension and set up. They offered to do an alignment or at least check the alignment. Tech stated he did nothing to modify or even touch the suspension components. Therefore I politely declined. Couldn't be happier with service I received from my local dealer.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:05 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

I dropped my car off at the dealer they're going to do the replacement tomorrow should have the car back on Monday. When I was there they were doing another one and had the new transmission on the stand . The good thing is the new transmission comes with a new throwout bearing and release fork ..I believe that is what was causing the squeaking from the clutch pedal when the car was hot. We'll see if it does it again with a new transmission . I'll update l know other fourm members have experienced the same problem. Carl
Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Just dropped my girl off for her transplant.....I'll keep you posted.......Phil
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM
SteveDoubleU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped mine off this morning for an "inspection"... Just got a call that they ordered the trans but don't know if they will end up replacing it or not since it might be a "good one". Interesting... Anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 PM
jaygoldfarb
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My April 2016 build qualifies for the replacement. That is even after having it replaced over a year and half ago. Going in May 13th.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 AM
gac1077
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygoldfarb
My April 2016 build qualifies for the replacement. That is even after having it replaced over a year and half ago. Going in May 13th.
Mine was replaced about the same time over a year, April 16 build and my dealer tells me I'm not on the list, do you know the part number for the transmission that it's on the car? Thanks
Garrick

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure