Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 G81 Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Guys - we asked about what else should be done - specifically pressure plate. Mine has 16000 miles. Several track days.
They anticipate it should need nothing additional, but once the gearbox is out they will look at pressure plate and other consumables.
They can make a last minute decision on what to recommend based on what they see.

I expect them to say everything looks great and to put it all back together without needing additional parts, but they are on notice that
we want to understand the condition of consumables to determine if it makes sense to replace things like pressure plate once the gearbox is out.

I will be stopping by the dealer when the car is apart to see for myself. If I'm out of town my husband will stop in (and maybe both of us if we are around).

I'm relieved to have the new transmission coming in. I've been wondering if/when the car will fail and now it should not fail (at least not for THAT reason).
Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

needmoregarge - I look forward to hearing about any other items that could be replaced such as pressure plate, clutch, etc. Do you mind also asking what other fluids they'll flush during the transmission replacement?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

KOTYKB - I plan to get all details and am happy to share.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wondering what those who already had their transmissions replaced did?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

I have a 12/15 build and was notified today that mine qualifies for a transmission replacement. I booked my appointment for May 2nd. I asked about replacing the clutch or other wear items while in there and they said the Clutch Disk, Release Bearing, and Screws are $1088. With only 7k miles on the car, is it worth doing?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The parts diagram makes it look like the clutch disk and pressure plate are sold as one unit. Anyone know if that's correct?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFL
The parts diagram makes it look like the clutch disk and pressure plate are sold as one unit. Anyone know if that's correct?
Yes, it is sold as a set.
I just called my local dealer.
$848.91
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 PM
GT4 FUN
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello fellow GT4 owners. My first post, and it's related to the transmission service bulletin.

So, as more than a few USA members here have suggested, I decided to call my local dealer about the status of this since the Porsche website says there are no 'recalls' for the car.
Sure enough, my car is on the list (6/2016 build). It's the first time this service adviser has heard of the transmission replacement.
He called me back later (voice mail) and said it would take about 10 calendar days for the new transmission to arrive once ordered.

Anyway, my first Porsche has been a lot of fun so far. Not really happy about having to leave it with a dealer. They do provide customers with a similar or better-than loaner car, right?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT4 FUN
Hello fellow GT4 owners. My first post, and it's related to the transmission service bulletin.

So, as more than a few USA members here have suggested, I decided to call my local dealer about the status of this since the Porsche website says there are no 'recalls' for the car.
Sure enough, my car is on the list (6/2016 build). It's the first time this service adviser has heard of the transmission replacement.
He called me back later (voice mail) and said it would take about 10 calendar days for the new transmission to arrive once ordered.

Anyway, my first Porsche has been a lot of fun so far. Not really happy about having to leave it with a dealer. They do provide customers with a similar or better-than loaner car, right?
I wouldn't trust them, install it yourself ; )
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I think there are MANY with no idea about 3rd gear.. I met some at the track this weekend. I explained it & told them not to worry. AND just drive it home .
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM
ndamiani
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll lay out my experience so far for those interested. I'm located in SoCal and my car is a daily driver with about 23k miles, a number of track days, and no issues to speak of.

My service adviser called me yesterday to arrange the replacement. Said it would take a couple days to receive the tranny, and another couple days for the install. I mistakenly referred to it as a recall and he immediately went on the defensive making sure I was clear that it was a TSB. My bad! I asked him about replacing the clutch if it looked like it could use it and he confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem and would only be the cost of parts, I knew it would be a stretch, but I tried to see if they'd be willing to replace the flywheel and clutch assembly with some aftermarket units (I've been eyeing the BBi ltw flywheel/clutch kit), and while he didn't immediately say no, he also was not confident that they would permit that (not all that surprising, I suppose). I also asked about how soon I needed to act to get it addressed. I figured there is no urgency, but I have a track day scheduled in May and would rather put that wear and tear on the current tranny before doing the swap, and he agreed that I'd be fine waiting and said I had plenty of time.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by ndamiani
.... I also asked about how soon I needed to act to get it addressed. I figured there is no urgency, but I have a track day scheduled in May and would rather put that wear and tear on the current tranny before doing the swap, and he agreed that I'd be fine waiting and said I had plenty of time.

One never knows when the tranny will fail. It may not fail the next track day...or the one after that...but it will fail sometime. I got very lucky: Mine failed half way through the very last session on the second day of a two-day track event. Others have not been so lucky, and when it fails, you're done for the day. Just keep all that in mind.

Good luck...and, BTW, another track day isn't going to materially change the wear and tear on a new tranny much anyway.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

apologies for the late entry - are all trans being replaced or just some early cars?
Mine is Oct 15 build and not being recalled - make sense?
Are they getting orig or 718 gearboxes as replacement? (my SA hinted it was the new box .. hmm)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 AM
ndamiani
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
One never knows when the tranny will fail. It may not fail the next track day...or the one after that...but it will fail sometime. I got very lucky: Mine failed half way through the very last session on the second day of a two-day track event. Others have not been so lucky, and when it fails, you're done for the day. Just keep all that in mind.

Good luck...and, BTW, another track day isn't going to materially change the wear and tear on a new tranny much anyway.
True enough on both counts. Thanks!

Originally Posted by HiWind
apologies for the late entry - are all trans being replaced or just some early cars?
Mine is Oct 15 build and not being recalled - make sense?
Are they getting orig or 718 gearboxes as replacement? (my SA hinted it was the new box .. hmm)
My car has a June 2016 build date and the tranny is being replaced. For what it is worth, my SA was insistent that it isn't a recall, but rather a technical service bulletin.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 PM
sho-one
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick and easy, mine was replaced in about a day.

Quick Reply: GT4 G81 Transmission Failure