Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by faizaan2000
1:54.52 at Pitt Race with ARPCA July '22. Falken RT660, camber plates, toe links, DSC

https://youtu.be/RSwf3-smxxA
Nice lap at Pitt! That is my favorite track of all times!!!! That beats my October 2020 of PB which is a 1:54.78 (981 GT4 w/ MPSS2 tires, toe links, DSC).

The following users liked this post:
faizaan2000 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:20 AM
Chris Hebert
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbpeirce
That's too bad. This was always my go-to page to see what was possible in a GT4. Where do we go now?
Good question.. if anyone ever finds a new/better goto for GT4 good laptimes, please let us know on this page. Until then, this is my goto as well.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:35 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Hebert
Good question.. if anyone ever finds a new/better goto for GT4 good laptimes, please let us know on this page. Until then, this is my goto as well.
even more impressive. Good driving
Old 08-15-2022, 02:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

From this weekend's club race @NJMP Thunderbolt
1:25.838
GT4 Clubsport MR
Ballasted to 3100lbs min weight with driver. Pirelli slicks. No other mods.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:07 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

This is 718 only but seems to be a split off of this page that also has not been updated.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-a-gt4-22.html
Old 08-15-2022, 03:12 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Nice lap at Pitt! That is my favorite track of all times!!!! That beats my October 2020 of PB which is a 1:54.78 (981 GT4 w/ MPSS2 tires, toe links, DSC).
I'm still trying to figure out how you did 1:20 at Summit Point. I've only driven it in Assetto Corsa but the best I've done is 1:27.8. That's with an 85 grip level instead of 100 and with ABS turned on but everything else off. I use 85 because it comes closest to my actual Pitt Race times, where I can sometimes get under 2:00. I just installed a DSC controller and I'm hoping it will get me another second or two.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,414 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how you did 1:20 at Summit Point. I've only driven it in Assetto Corsa but the best I've done is 1:27.8. That's with an 85 grip level instead of 100 and with ABS turned on but everything else off. I use 85 because it comes closest to my actual Pitt Race times, where I can sometimes get under 2:00. I just installed a DSC controller and I'm hoping it will get me another second or two.
He's a very good driver. Pushes the car very hard and drives with confidence and control. Not a driver that one should try to emulate unless one has that level of experience and skill.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:14 AM
rbpeirce
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
He's a very good driver. Pushes the car very hard and drives with confidence and control. Not a driver that one should try to emulate unless one has that level of experience and skill.
This wasn't about Chris. It was about the track! I only actually go to Pitt Race anymore but I drive another 10 tracks in Assetto Corsa. Summit Point, without a doubt in my mind, is one of the most deceptively easy tracks anywhere. It is just plain difficult. As far as I can see every turn is tough, either in its own right or because of what comes before or after.

I drive a 981 GT4 in Assetto Corsa. As much as possible it is set up to match my 718 to the extent I get comparable feel and track times at Pitt Race. Based on this thread and other sources I know I am 5-10% slower than the best amateurs at just about every track. Some might say I've plateaued. I say I'm just getting old. I expect to get slower as time goes by. Nevertheless, I'm only 6% slower at Summit Point, but nevertheless, it is the toughest track I drive.

When I say I'm still trying to figure how Chris did a 1:20 it is mostly because I lack data. For example, I comfortably run at around 2:00 at Pitt Race but Faizaan Shamsi did a 1:54.5. I got his Vbox data and video and compared it to mine and promptly knocked a second off my best time, and that was only from improving T1! I don't have Chris's video or data so I'm struggling.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:07 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

A completely stock 981 GT4 should comfortably be doing 1:22 at Summit Point, if you are doing 1:27 there is tons of time left everywhere.

Here is a video (not mine)

Anu2g (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

This wasn't about Chris. It was about the track! I only actually go to Pitt Race anymore but I drive another 10 tracks in Assetto Corsa. Summit Point, without a doubt in my mind, is one of the most deceptively easy tracks anywhere. It is just plain difficult. As far as I can see every turn is tough, either in its own right or because of what comes before or after.

I drive a 981 GT4 in Assetto Corsa. As much as possible it is set up to match my 718 to the extent I get comparable feel and track times at Pitt Race. Based on this thread and other sources I know I am 5-10% slower than the best amateurs at just about every track. Some might say I've plateaued. I say I'm just getting old. I expect to get slower as time goes by. Nevertheless, I'm only 6% slower at Summit Point, but nevertheless, it is the toughest track I drive.

When I say I'm still trying to figure how Chris did a 1:20 it is mostly because I lack data. For example, I comfortably run at around 2:00 at Pitt Race but Faizaan Shamsi did a 1:54.5. I got his Vbox data and video and compared it to mine and promptly knocked a second off my best time, and that was only from improving T1! I don't have Chris's video or data so I'm struggling.
Originally Posted by Montaver
A completely stock 981 GT4 should comfortably be doing 1:22 at Summit Point, if you are doing 1:27 there is tons of time left everywhere.

Here is a video (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEWKnvthxM
1:22 in a stock 981 GT4 is very fast, it would take a very good driver who's pushing hard and not making significant mistakes. The guys who are doing 1:20 on a tire like Cup 2 are excellent drivers and the setup of their cars has typically been tuned for the track. 1:26 is not a terrible pace, and 1:24 is decent. The good news with 1:27 is that the driver has plenty of room to enjoy getting better.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:05 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

1:22 in a stock 981 GT4 is very fast, it would take a very good driver who's pushing hard and not making significant mistakes. The guys who are doing 1:20 on a tire like Cup 2 are excellent drivers and the setup of their cars has typically been tuned for the track. 1:26 is not a terrible pace, and 1:24 is decent. The good news with 1:27 is that the driver has plenty of room to enjoy getting better.
Excellent is the key word. I seem to do 5-10% slower than excellent. When I'm around 10% I feel like there is plenty of room for improvement. When I get to 5% I feel like that is about as good as I'm going to get. That would be around 1:24 at Summit Point.

I do a little better than that at Pitt Race mostly because I actually drive that track and have close to 10,000 miles on it. I have some advantage over those who only get there once or maybe twice a year, but it still isn't enough for me to match excellent.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:31 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

For sure, wasn't trying to be critical. More give confidence that at that pace, you can push everywhere.

Summit point is not a particularly good track though in my opinion. Track has no flow, the T1 brake zone is egregious and absolutely destroys brakes for no benefit. Turn 5 same, downhill into an overly slow corner that unnecessarily hard on high horsepower cars. The entire carousel section is just an exercise in managing understeer, the only parts of the track which flow properly are 3,7,8,9. Maybe its fun in a Miata, but it doesnt suit anything with power in my opinion. That and the paddock has no shade, floods when it rains, gas is 20 minutes away and the actual track is in the middle of no where. If you are down there just go to VIR, or up here WGI, NJMP etc. much better.

Summit point is the only track I have ever been to where the blag flag was thrown, entire rest of day cancelled, because some bored locals had decided it would be fun to shoot guns in the direction of flag workers...
Old 08-19-2022, 01:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Excellent is the key word. I seem to do 5-10% slower than excellent. When I'm around 10% I feel like there is plenty of room for improvement. When I get to 5% I feel like that is about as good as I'm going to get. That would be around 1:24 at Summit Point.

I do a little better than that at Pitt Race mostly because I actually drive that track and have close to 10,000 miles on it. I have some advantage over those who only get there once or maybe twice a year, but it still isn't enough for me to match excellent.
You really only need to be 'excellent' if you're racing. Otherwise, the key is to just have fun and not crash.

Originally Posted by Montaver
For sure, wasn't trying to be critical. More give confidence that at that pace, you can push everywhere.

Summit point is not a particularly good track though in my opinion. Track has no flow, the T1 brake zone is egregious and absolutely destroys brakes for no benefit. Turn 5 same, downhill into an overly slow corner that unnecessarily hard on high horsepower cars. The entire carousel section is just an exercise in managing understeer, the only parts of the track which flow properly are 3,7,8,9. Maybe its fun in a Miata, but it doesnt suit anything with power in my opinion. That and the paddock has no shade, floods when it rains, gas is 20 minutes away and the actual track is in the middle of no where. If you are down there just go to VIR, or up here WGI, NJMP etc. much better.

Summit point is the only track I have ever been to where the blag flag was thrown, entire rest of day cancelled, because some bored locals had decided it would be fun to shoot guns in the direction of flag workers...
It's my home track, about 1.5 hours from my home. I've done more than a hundred days at this track. I quite like it:

- T1/2 is challenging because of the large speed drop and the need to get the apex late enough.
- T3 is challenging because of the complex geometry and being blind at the top.
- T4 is challenging because it's quite fast.
- Yeah, T5 is just hard braking into a slow corner, but much time is elapsed in that corner, so you still have to get it right.
- T6/7 is good for trying to being on the limit while still getting to the correct apex.
- T8/9 has a nice build in speed and T9 has somewhat complex geometry.
- T10 is fast when done well, and need to manage the corner entry as the car lands coming down the hill.

I much prefer SP over the NJMP tracks, which I got bored with fairly quickly.
Anu2g (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 02:37 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...l#post16201274

Last edited by BillC3; 08-19-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:00 PM
rbpeirce
Instructor

You really only need to be 'excellent' if you're racing. Otherwise, the key is to just have fun and not crash..
I'm not racing. I only do 7-10 track days a year and I'm gong to be 82 tomorrow. However, I need to have a basis to determine if I'm doing any good and that is 5% slower than excellent. According to the recap at the top, excellent at Pitt Race used to be 1:58. I could do 2:00 all day so I figured I was doing pretty well. Then somebody did a 1:54.5 and I realized I was still 5% slower than excellent.

Throughout this side-thread I've sort of forgotten I'm talking about a sim, not actual track experience. To recap I set up my car in the sim to match my actual car at Pitt Race. A large part of this was grip. I needed to set this too 85% of optimum to slow the car down enough. I use the same setup at every track I drive in the sim and I have absolutely no idea how accurate that might be. I do have a rule-of-thumb. A 5% change in grip is worth about 1mph/mi. I use the same RoT for slicks. Both seem to be close enough.

Just for fun I set grip to optimum and ran a few laps at PIRC and SP. There's a fair amount of muscle and mark memory to overcome so I didn't do as well as I would with more practice. Nevertheless, the calculation suggested 1:52.7 at PIRC and 1:21.6 @ SP. I actually did 1:53.3 and 1:22.9. Both these times are good but neither is anywhere close to what I am actually capable of achieving. The interesting thing is you can do almost anything you want in a sim and it may bear little relation to real life. That's why I spent so much time trying to get PIRC fairly accurate. I just wish I knew how that carries over to other tracks.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4