Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 11:02 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 249 Posts

Watkins Glen - 981 GT4 - 2:05.46

I was slightly caught out by the rear end instability coming into T1 which meant I butchered the corner and was 3/10ths down straight away. Mistake at T7 as well cost some time. I think the car had an 2:04 in it but I couldn't quite put it together. This was lap 7 hence the tires crying a bit, they had about 12 HC at this point. Anyway I'll stop making excuses here is the lap

Stock power
245/295 Cup2’s
DS1.11 / Girodiscs
Tarrett Camber Plates
Tarrett Rear Toe Links
Bbi rear cage / Schroth 6 point harness

The following 2 users liked this post by Montaver:
JAhmed (12-20-2022), thedude14 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver

I was slightly caught out by the rear end instability coming into T1 which meant I butchered the corner and was 3/10ths down straight away. Mistake at T7 as well cost some time. I think the car had an 2:04 in it but I couldn't quite put it together. This was lap 7 hence the tires crying a bit, they had about 12 HC at this point. Anyway I'll stop making excuses here is the lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7WuBcFz7c

Stock power
245/295 Cup2’s
DS1.11 / Girodiscs
Tarrett Camber Plates
Tarrett Rear Toe Links
A fast lap, yet you look so calm it's like your not even trying or having fun.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:25 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
A fast lap, yet you look so calm it's like your not even trying or having fun.
I'll take that as a compliment! Trust me I am having fun, I was buzzing when I came back into the pits after that session. It's really pushing the car that gets the adrenaline going. The GT4 rewards being smooth, particularly as the stock suspension is quite soft. I was just focused on getting the max I could out of the car - this was pretty close. After this I spent a few sessions having fun chasing my friends, also drove my friends 718 GT4 PDK on slicks to help with dial in his setup. Always impressed with that motor, couldn't get a clean lap but that thing has a notably higher potential ceiling than the 981 IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (10-10-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:09 AM
thedude14
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran a 1:00.61 at Lime Rock this past weekend. I moved my rear sway bar to hard just before the event and really enjoyed the new feel. Had a lot of fun floating the car through T1-4. I definitely feel like I can get into the 50's with more confidence in West Bend and the Downhill.

In early September I spent a few days at WGI and my best lap was a 2:10.5. I ran three 2:10's in a row that session. Felt like decent laps, and I was thinking I could cut a couple seconds off with more practice and sway bar adjustment (understeering a bit). @Montaver I don't know how you do it! Absolutely amazing lap time sir!

Cup 2's (20" 245/295)
Ferodo DS1.11 pads
Girodisc rotors (front only for now)
Tarett rear toe links
DBJ springs

@FAhmed Great to see you're getting use out of those anti-sub bars!!

Last edited by thedude14; 10-11-2022 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Car setup info
Montaver (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 06:20 PM
Helix8
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Easiest time to pickup would be to carry more speed through Bus Stop. VMin 80mph, then carry more speed into Carousel. Looks like you are driving cone-to-cone and IMO the organizers have about every cone "late" (which is safer so I get it but not quicker). Enter Turn 1 earlier and use the curbing. Anyway my .02 Enjoy!
thedude14 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 08:24 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thedude14
I ran a 1:00.61 at Lime Rock this past weekend. I moved my rear sway bar to hard just before the event and really enjoyed the new feel. Had a lot of fun floating the car through T1-4. I definitely feel like I can get into the 50's with more confidence in West Bend and the Downhill.
https://youtu.be/hQtSZLEnKoo

In early September I spent a few days at WGI and my best lap was a 2:10.5. I ran three 2:10's in a row that session. Felt like decent laps, and I was thinking I could cut a couple seconds off with more practice and sway bar adjustment (understeering a bit). @Montaver I don't know how you do it! Absolutely amazing lap time sir!
https://youtu.be/Yh6tsIhwrbc

Cup 2's (20" 245/295)
Ferodo DS1.11 pads
Girodisc rotors (front only for now)
Tarett rear toe links
DBJ springs

@FAhmed Great to see you're getting use out of those anti-sub bars!!
Nudging 60 secs is a good time at LRP, nice work!

2:10 is a solid time at WGI, you have a good base to work from. Nice and smooth with decent lines. WGI is such a fast, flowing track but lots of potential for a big shunt so really need confidence in the car to push it. Here are some things you can try and see how they feel for you -

T1 - You are turning in on the later side, which makes you over slow for the corner. Try turning in slightly earlier with a higher entry speed, and as you near the apex turn in more aggressively. There is a ton of camber on the inside of 1 that will catch you, don't be afraid to go right up onto the curb at exit. Tons of camber into T2 which will help you too.. From T1 you can be flat all the way to the crest at T3, breathe the throttle for 1/2 second at turn in, then back flat as you track out to the right. If you are feeling really brave, it can be done flat from T1 to bus stop.
Bus Stop - Take a straighter line through there, aggressive brake in a straight line followed by light trail it into the entry. Your wider entry is causing you to over slow. All of curb 1, most of curb 2, nibble on curb 3, straight over curb 4. I am flat on the throttle once I am lined up for the 3rd curb.
T5 - Lean into it a bit harder, the tires should be crying and you should be brushing the edge of understeer. Get back to WOT throttle earlier.
T6 - Brake deeper and more aggressively. Get to WOT throttle earlier, you should be changing to 4th gear by the end of the exit curb. Lots of camber in this corner so you can really lean into it.
T7 - Looks pretty good, brake later and harder followed by trailing it into a late apex. Let the hill catch you and help rotate the car in combination with the brakes. Once I am done braking here I am flat straight away. If your on maintenance throttle you came in too early and will just pickup understeer.
T8 - Looks good, try moving your brake zone back a bit and see how it feels. Threshold brake, trail to the apex. Use the whole track and curb on exit.
T9 - Get back on WOT throttle more quickly
T10 - Get back on WOT throttle more quickly
T11 - Looks nice, you can carry more entry speed

I'll caveat I am just some punter who likes driving fast around the track, I have no qualifications

There are lots of good videos on Youtube, or you could send your vid to racers 360 and get a coach to look at it. You have data so they will be able to give you really good feedback.

Last edited by Montaver; 10-11-2022 at 08:25 PM.
thedude14 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:41 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7WuBcFz7c

Stock power
245/295 Cup2’s
DS1.11 / Girodiscs
Tarrett Camber Plates
Tarrett Rear Toe Links
Well done. Really flying to get into the 2:05s on Cup 2s. The laptime board shows that to be Hoosier and Pirelli slick territory.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Well done. Really flying to get into the 2:05s on Cup 2s. The laptime board shows that to be Hoosier and Pirelli slick territory.
Thank you! I saw your 992 lap vid, looks great. Must be mega having that combination of double wishbone front end and proper punch at the top of the power band. How do you like it compared to the GT4?
Old 10-11-2022, 11:00 PM
thedude14
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Nudging 60 secs is a good time at LRP, nice work!

2:10 is a solid time at WGI, you have a good base to work from. Nice and smooth with decent lines. WGI is such a fast, flowing track but lots of potential for a big shunt so really need confidence in the car to push it. Here are some things you can try and see how they feel for you -

T1 - You are turning in on the later side, which makes you over slow for the corner. Try turning in slightly earlier with a higher entry speed, and as you near the apex turn in more aggressively. There is a ton of camber on the inside of 1 that will catch you, don't be afraid to go right up onto the curb at exit. Tons of camber into T2 which will help you too.. From T1 you can be flat all the way to the crest at T3, breathe the throttle for 1/2 second at turn in, then back flat as you track out to the right. If you are feeling really brave, it can be done flat from T1 to bus stop.
Bus Stop - Take a straighter line through there, aggressive brake in a straight line followed by light trail it into the entry. Your wider entry is causing you to over slow. All of curb 1, most of curb 2, nibble on curb 3, straight over curb 4. I am flat on the throttle once I am lined up for the 3rd curb.
T5 - Lean into it a bit harder, the tires should be crying and you should be brushing the edge of understeer. Get back to WOT throttle earlier.
T6 - Brake deeper and more aggressively. Get to WOT throttle earlier, you should be changing to 4th gear by the end of the exit curb. Lots of camber in this corner so you can really lean into it.
T7 - Looks pretty good, brake later and harder followed by trailing it into a late apex. Let the hill catch you and help rotate the car in combination with the brakes. Once I am done braking here I am flat straight away. If your on maintenance throttle you came in too early and will just pickup understeer.
T8 - Looks good, try moving your brake zone back a bit and see how it feels. Threshold brake, trail to the apex. Use the whole track and curb on exit.
T9 - Get back on WOT throttle more quickly
T10 - Get back on WOT throttle more quickly
T11 - Looks nice, you can carry more entry speed

I'll caveat I am just some punter who likes driving fast around the track, I have no qualifications

There are lots of good videos on Youtube, or you could send your vid to racers 360 and get a coach to look at it. You have data so they will be able to give you really good feedback.
Thanks so much for the write-up, its super super helpful!! I can't wait to go back to the Glen and get back to work. I'm definitely hearing you on getting back to WOT earlier in most corners. With medium/medium sway bar settings, I was feeling a bit of push that led me to delay my throttle input. I loved trying medium/hard configuration at LRP and look forward to trying it out at WGI.

What sway bar settings are you using?

Originally Posted by Helix8
Easiest time to pickup would be to carry more speed through Bus Stop. VMin 80mph, then carry more speed into Carousel. Looks like you are driving cone-to-cone and IMO the organizers have about every cone "late" (which is safer so I get it but not quicker). Enter Turn 1 earlier and use the curbing. Anyway my .02 Enjoy!
Great advice, thank you! My first time ever driving the car when I got it last year (ever, like not even on the street) was at WGI and I spun out in the bus stop. It's been a slow process gaining confidence to build up speed there, but I know its the lowest hanging fruit in terms of improving my times.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:40 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Easiest time would be being flat thru the esses. It’s not really that hard to be honest. That is something like 1.5+ secs of time lost. It almost doesn’t matter where you turn into T2 as there is so much banking and compression. If you have to breath off the throttle, do it right before T3, and dont come off all the way to 0%. Work up to it.

busstop you are losing like 0.6s, carousel another 0.5s It all adds up.

a really good lap would be in the 2:02 range. That would take new tires and good conditions. A Clubsport on new slicks can be in the 56s.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:03 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Easiest time would be being flat thru the esses. It’s not really that hard to be honest. That is something like 1.5+ secs of time lost. It almost doesn’t matter where you turn into T2 as there is so much banking and compression. If you have to breath off the throttle, do it right before T3, and dont come off all the way to 0%. Work up to it.

busstop you are losing like 0.6s, carousel another 0.5s It all adds up.

a really good lap would be in the 2:02 range. That would take new tires and good conditions. A Clubsport on new slicks can be in the 56s.
No one is doing a 2:02 on Cup2's in a stock power 981 GT4. 718 PDK may have a shot at it. Hoosiers/slicks and some power mods different story.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much for the write-up, its super super helpful!! I can't wait to go back to the Glen and get back to work. I'm definitely hearing you on getting back to WOT earlier in most corners. With medium/medium sway bar settings, I was feeling a bit of push that led me to delay my throttle input. I loved trying medium/hard configuration at LRP and look forward to trying it out at WGI.

Soft front/hard rear
Old 10-12-2022, 06:10 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Thank you! I saw your 992 lap vid, looks great. Must be mega having that combination of double wishbone front end and proper punch at the top of the power band. How do you like it compared to the GT4?
Yes, new GT3 is fantastic. The place where I notice the improved front end the most is T1-2 Big Bend at LRP, where it tracks right through instead of understeering. I’m slowly building confidence in the higher limits of this car. Still getting a sense of the differences in layout and power vs my former GT4. Really loved that car too!
Montaver (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:22 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Great advice, thank you! My first time ever driving the car when I got it last year (ever, like not even on the street) was at WGI and I spun out in the bus stop. It's been a slow process gaining confidence to build up speed there, but I know its the lowest hanging fruit in terms of improving my times.
Cautious reminder one of the biggest causes of track accidents is when people have the wheel turned and get on throttle too quickly and lose the rear end Hence lots of accidents at T7 where people end up on the inside wall.
thedude14 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 02:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

That is a FLYING lap if stock power!

No one is doing a 2:02 on Cup2's in a stock power 981 GT4. 718 PDK may have a shot at it. Hoosiers/slicks and some power mods different story.
Agree - a stock powered, stock aero 981 can't get to 2:02 on spec Cup2s and keep 2 tires on track surface at all times. Possible on new hoosiers I think!

Yes, new GT3 is fantastic. The place where I notice the improved front end the most is T1-2 Big Bend at LRP, where it tracks right through instead of understeering. I’m slowly building confidence in the higher limits of this car. Still getting a sense of the differences in layout and power vs my former GT4. Really loved that car too!
GT3 seems to break the laws of physics compared to my old GT4. GT4 is more of an "honest" track car. GT3 has magic dust sprinkled all over it.

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4