Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by morefun
59.8 is v quick! Throw on some HoHos and you will be in the 57s, damn good for a street car. I doubt I'll ever see that with me at the wheel. Simon, no problem!
Thanks, it's a milestone but I want 58s on street tires now.
I have no interest in the cost of Hoosiers, plus I live close by so I just drive to LRP.

I've got a video up on youtube if it helps you at all. The best tip I can give you is to get back to full throttle sooner everywhere.

Originally Posted by morefun
I run with CVR, do @4-5 track days a year since 2012. Just enough to get the cob webs out but not enough to "improve". Still having fun though...
How I am missing you? I'm in black run group and I've been to every CVR LRP event in '16! The only GT Silver I've seen is Alex. Make sure we meet next time!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:43 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did first two days with the GT4 with Metro NY, April 29 & 30. I'm leaving the RE71rs on the car for the street as well. HooHoos are stupid $$ for DEs!

Thinking about booking a day soon with the Club and a coach to get on top of this puppy! Its way better than I am...

Where do I find your video? Always looking to learn!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:05 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Ran a 59.8 on Monday but I think there at least another second for me to find before going to better pads and getting serious about the suspension bits and alignment.
Awesome stuff. Please post your LRP video link so I can learn your GT4 lines and mimic them. Sub-1:00 at LRP is my personal Everest. Got down to 1:00.4 last fall in my 991 Carrera S. Hoping to get that next half a second with the GT4.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Waiting on a Bluetooth OBD2 module so I can capture throttle and steering data on the overlay so I'm not sure how helpful the video will be but here it is:

Joe sorry for derailing your thread here...started out with RE-71R tire pressure info on the previous page I swear!

Last edited by Jenner; 05-18-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice lap, looked really clean! Thanks for putting that up.

I have to work on the uphill and/or grow a pair...
Old 05-18-2016, 04:50 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Waiting on a Bluetooth OBD2 module so I can capture throttle and steering data on the overlay so I'm not sure how helpful the video will be but here it is:

Joe sorry for derailing your thread here...started out with RE-71R tire pressure info on the previous page I swear!
Ok, Joe, one more LRP question for Jenner--
It sounds like you were in third through Big Bend, the Left Hander, the Right Hander, then up to fourth on No-name Straight, stayed in fourth through the Uphill, West Bend, and the Downhill. Is that correct? And then did you shift up to fifth on the front straight, or do you just get to redline in fourth before hitting T1 again?
BTW, love the "woo!" at the end...
Old 05-18-2016, 04:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Jenner, put a fish eye on your IPhone and hang it between the seats so we can see input. Please.
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradocs98
It sounds like you were in third through Big Bend, the Left Hander, the Right Hander, then up to fourth on No-name Straight, stayed in fourth through the Uphill, West Bend, and the Downhill. Is that correct? And then did you shift up to fifth on the front straight, or do you just get to redline in fourth before hitting T1 again?
Correct. 5th on or after the start/finish. I may try shifting to 5th before the start finish to see what affect it has on lap time.

Previous laps I was only using 3rd and 4th and was running out of RPM on no name in 3rd and main straight in 4th. As my corner exit speeds increased I was hitting the rev limiter so I had to use 4th on no name and 5th on main. Since the power falls off after 7000 it turns out the time wasted shifting is still faster...go figure!

Originally Posted by paradocs98
BTW, love the "woo!" at the end...
I've got my lap timer wired into my Stilo helmet communications so I can get my times without having to look at anything. It works great except I forgot the mic would pick up my voice! The "wooting" continued up until left hander in the full video.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Jenner, put a fish eye on your IPhone and hang it between the seats so we can see input. Please.
I'll see what I can do. I've got a RSS rollbar to attach to, but it's hard to set up the my iphone when I can't see it. Last time I did that the video was upside and useless. If I put it on a long enough extension to interact with it, then the camera shake will be awful. I'm open to suggestions. I don't have the open area behind me like one does in a 911.

Long time no talk BTW! I see you are enjoying the RS! How's my steering rack doing in your RSA? Don't see you speak much about the RSA anymore(or perhaps I'm not looking in the right places!)

What's wrong with the uphill?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

I plug in my IPhone to 12V, use a Imvio case with fish eye.
Via Bluetooth with GPS amplifier on the dash as well as the OBD thing for extra data, but doesn't do much, see my video.

Go Pro I phone holder with a big GoPro Flex Clamp thing to clamp it to the CF part / harness holes in the seats.
Works OK.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:24 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OBD2 is useless on the GT4. Must go CAN bus tap. Lots on this in other threads for those new to the topic.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
OBD2 is useless on the GT4. Must go CAN bus tap. Lots on this in other threads for those new to the topic.
^^^True dat
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Had the front wheels re-balanced with the weights on the inner barrel and mounted all 4 wheels today.

***NOTE on OZ 19" FRONT wheels. Very little clearance from the caliper if you place the wheel weights on the outer edge of the barrel.
HOWEVER, if you place the weights on the inner edge of the barrel, once you load the car and start driving, you will hear a clicking sound. That is because the brake duct is hitting the wheel weights.
***You will need to trim the front brake ducts in order to make these wheels work. Not a big deal, but be aware

Ready for next weekend.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,342 Posts

1, is that ben in your garage? kick him out. he breaks everything.... or was it you who broke the GT3?

2, nice tire storage in ctr bay. what are those two little doors up there lead to?

3, i think i have more wheel wt clearance to caliper than your do. that said, always put wts out the very back side of the wheels so as not to interfere with anything. you want STATIC balance not ROAD FORCE.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
1, is that ben in your garage? kick him out. he breaks everything.... or was it you who broke the GT3?

2, nice tire storage in ctr bay. what are those two little doors up there lead to?

3, i think i have more wheel wt clearance to caliper than your do. that said, always put wts out the very back side of the wheels so as not to interfere with anything. you want STATIC balance not ROAD FORCE.
1. Yes, that is Ben. GT3 isn't broken! Not yet! LOL

2. Thanks. Doors lead into attic for additional storage. You access the tire shelf and the door by taking a ride up the lift. Cool, eh?

3. Yeah, I think the OZ wheels have less inner diameter clearance. What do you mean by back side of the wheels. Inner side where I have them right now? Or somewhere else?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Tape your weights!!!
Gaffers or aluminum duct tape

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings