Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a needle-style tire pyrometer a while back and have used it sporadically. Beyond the obvious issue of having to pit in the middle of a session and then test and record twelve individual temperatures, I'm also concerned about heat-soaking the brakes coming in sans cool-down lap. How do people handle things here? Can you still get useful readings testing in the paddock after the session is over? I know temps won't be at their peak, but they might still show relative levels across the tread face.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I bought a needle-style tire pyrometer a while back and have used it sporadically. Beyond the obvious issue of having to pit in the middle of a session and then test and record twelve individual temperatures, I'm also concerned about heat-soaking the brakes coming in sans cool-down lap. How do people handle things here? Can you still get useful readings testing in the paddock after the session is over? I know temps won't be at their peak, but they might still show relative levels across the tread face.
That is the trade off. You do have to pit in while hot with no cool down to really get a gauge.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:09 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Did the whole pyro thing on the GT3. Even tire temps across, but still had outer edge wear. It's a problem specific to the tires, I think. No problems with edge wear when I drove on TrofeoR. I'm guessing no problems with RE71R either since these tires are not dual compound like the cup2
The Cup 2 is a triple compound tire (PSS is dual), which in both cases was done to preserve grip at the limit while improving the treadwear rating over their predecessors (180 Cup 2 vs 60 Cup 1 and 300 PSS vs 220 PS2). So if the RE-71R can grip as well or better than the Cup 2 while lasting longer both according to both the (admittedly unreliable) treadwear rating and owners' actual track experiences, and all with a single compound design, it's all the more reason to be amazed with that tire. Can't wait until they're available in stock GT4 sizes!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jphughan
The Cup 2 is a triple compound tire (PSS is dual), which in both cases was done to preserve grip at the limit while improving the treadwear rating over their predecessors (180 Cup 2 vs 60 Cup 1 and 300 PSS vs 220 PS2). So if the RE-71R can grip as well or better than the Cup 2 while lasting longer both according to both the (admittedly unreliable) treadwear rating and owners' actual track experiences, and all with a single compound design, it's all the more reason to be amazed with that tire. Can't wait until they're available in stock GT4 sizes!
Triple? Didn't know that. Re71r looks to be the holy grail right now. Can't wait to try them out in less than 2 weeks
Old 05-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Re71r looks to be the holy grail right now. Can't wait to try them out in less than 2 weeks
They really are incredible.

Was just at Lime Rock Park for 3 days straight on the 19" RE-71Rs. I also had 3 days previously on the OEM 20" Dunlops. I set a new PB on the RE-71Rs!

I feel they have the same grip as the Dunlops, same or better communication, half the wear and half the price. I can't believe they are considered 200 treadwear STREET tires. Never been this pleased before with a tires performance vs price vs life.

I can't wait for you to post your experience on them.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

... PFC08, and I don't think it is even available in GT3/4 sizes. PFC11 is better. I like the DS1.11. ....
Right now I'm running the PFC11s on AP J-hook rotors. 4 track weekends with 4 sessions a day and this combo holds up very well IMHO. I measured the pads and they are @ 8.5 mm versus 12 mm new. So based on those numbers and orthojoe's posted history these pads should last approximately another 8 weekends on the tracks I go to. After that I will switch to the DS1.11 and see what results I get there.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the trade off. You do have to pit in while hot with no cool down to really get a gauge.
The spread is what we want most to understand pressures and if we are over driving the car. That spread is going to be theoretically close to how it is when the tires are at max temp, even after a cool down lap. But yes, it's a trade off.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 366 Posts

Regarding diff ramping, I took what Tecce and Matt at Guard recommended (50/50). I'm not exactly a student of diff tech and maybe either of these gentlemen could chime in to give us a 101 class.

For the PFC11's, are they similar to the 08's in noise? Similar bite?

For the track rats out there, has anyone gone thru a set of rotors yet? I've found so far that the rotors seem much less prone to cracking than on my 997.2 GT3. They seem to be holding up really well. Will take a thickness measurment next time the wheels are off but guessing the ME20's are much less harsh on rotors than what I had been previously using.

Very much want to try the RE71's. usctrojanGT3 was crazy fast on them and they last too.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChrisF

For the PFC11's, are they similar to the 08's in noise? Similar bite?.
Pfc11 much more quiet, better and more consistent bite than pfc08. I'm pretty sure pfc08 destroyed by Brembo type3 rotors on the spyder prematurely too
Old 05-17-2016, 02:05 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katmeho
The spread is what we want most to understand pressures and if we are over driving the car. That spread is going to be theoretically close to how it is when the tires are at max temp, even after a cool down lap. But yes, it's a trade off.
^This. However, I've taken readings for others & had friends take my readings many, many times in the hot pits with no cool down and no issues. With a decent memory pyrometer (I use an Intercomp) all 12 readings take under a minute.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 759 Posts

FWIW on RS, I did 20 very hard braking days when I replaced my OEM front rotors.

They still had many days in them, I would guess front rotors to last 30 days on a GT4. Rears forever, mine don't even look used. The brakes are so much stronger than 997, I don't see a reason to upgrade.

PFC11 on my RSA you drove, now after a week of DD the car they squeal as they do.
The RE10 start to squeal lightly but I haven't been on the track a while. 4 hard stops probably fixes it.

The RE10's last minimum 50% longer than PFC11 and I would guess closer to twice as long. I think, but have no proof that the RE10's make rotors last better due to cooler temps.
Not much initial bite until they warm up, so in daily driving no bite until a good hard stop is made.

GT4's are probably looking at pads and Rotors every 20 days, maybe stretch out the rotors another 10 days and forget rear brakes exist :-)
Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the track rats out there, has anyone gone thru a set of rotors yet? I've found so far that the rotors seem much less prone to cracking than on my 997.2 GT3.
I've got 6 track days at LRP on stock rotors/pads (5 30 min sessions on average) only upgraded fluid and lines so far. Only 2000 miles on my GT4.

Pads are getting low...need to measure but haven't had time yet. Guessing 1/3 pad left on fronts about 50% on rears. Front rotors are showing lots of minor cracks from the holes, but thickness seems untouched. I expect to run into touching cracks or cracks to rotor edge long before thickness issues. Rear rotors have no cracks.

Anyone else have stock rotor info? I'm curious to know how much life I have in the rotors to see if I can get away with just switching pads for now.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:03 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Anyone else have stock rotor info? I'm curious to know how much life I have in the rotors to see if I can get away with just switching pads for now.
14 Days out of front rotors and then replaced with AP Racing. 24 Days and counting on oem rears.

PFC11's seems to give me around 14 days on the front. Rears also now have 24 days on and counting.

Based on this I concluded my car does not have rear brakes lol!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 366 Posts

My only data point so far is with the ME20's. 4 days Sebring, 1 day Thunderhill West; 2 days Buttonwillow; maybe 5K light street miles. Fronts near gone. Rears still very thick.

Front rotors are showing microscopic cracks but WAY less than 997.2 GT3 rotors with equal wear. Some uneven surface wear on rotors; might require turning if there is plenty of thickness. Rears look new.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 PM
katmeho
Pro

My only data point so far is with the ME20's. 4 days Sebring, 1 day Thunderhill West; 2 days Buttonwillow; maybe 5K light street miles. Fronts near gone. Rears still very thick.

Front rotors are showing microscopic cracks but WAY less than 997.2 GT3 rotors with equal wear. Some uneven surface wear on rotors; might require turning if there is plenty of thickness. Rears look new.
with the ME20s with less street miles and 5 track days, Fronts are mid way with through. Although they squeal like a pig now after warming up on the street. I must have some build up, been a few weeks since I was on the track. Starting to see the smallest rotors lines on the fronts.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings