Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the cost for the wheel bearings? Same price for all four?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
What's the cost for the wheel bearings? Same price for all four?
All 4 bearings are the same part. About $140 each
Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Has anyone had any failed wheel bearings? All FOUR of mine have gone bad and need to be replaced already. GT3 did over 60 track days with no wheel bearing issues, but the rears were replaced under track maintenance guidelines. I'm really starting to wonder about the durability of the GT4. My buddy's boxster spyder had 3 times the amount of track time my GT4 does and the wheel bearings never went bad.
All 4 bearings are the same part. About $140 each
Sounds like an opportunity for some aftermarket parts. Wonder if anyone is offering upgraded replacement wheel bearings?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by okie981
Sounds like an opportunity for some aftermarket parts. Wonder if anyone is offering upgraded replacement wheel bearings?
Turns out the bearing parts are the same as the gt3, which have been solid for me. Maybe I got a bad batch or hit something harder than I thought. That being said, I've haven't been off track yet in the gt4, but I have been off track multiple time in the gt3 though....
Old 07-12-2017, 01:53 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be right joe on possible bad batch. Plus you aren't really using sticky tires (Hoosier for example) that puts extra stress on parts. It's mainly heat and load that kills those bearings - having said that, it is odd and surprising all 4 corners are bad all at once!! Is it a significant wobbling on the hub ?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DC640
You may be right joe on possible bad batch. Plus you aren't really using sticky tires (Hoosier for example) that puts extra stress on parts. It's mainly heat and load that kills those bearings - having said that, it is odd and surprising all 4 corners are bad all at once!! Is it a significant wobbling on the hub ?
Yup. Re71r and cup2 only. One of the front hubs is pretty bad wobble. The rest are subtle but definitely need to be replaced for track use.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:26 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, heat is the killer - hub temps are incredibly hot...take an on-track laser measure...you will be stunned
Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Yup. Re71r and cup2 only. One of the front hubs is pretty bad wobble. The rest are subtle but definitely need to be replaced for track use.
Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Yeah, heat is the killer - hub temps are incredibly hot...take an on-track laser measure...you will be stunned

Thinking about this some more after reading Joe's earlier posts about the bearing failures and how his GT3 took way more track days with no bearing issues, could there be something about Joe's GT4 that cause higher hub temps compared to his GT3 for the same track use? Maybe air flow to the rotors is different? Different size wheel's and/or tires? Seems like higher temps would be more likely than all 4 bearings having some type of sub-standard manufacturing quality.

Last edited by okie981; 07-16-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 PM
bluvan
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8500 miles 9 track days at beginner pace. Front left bearing was reported showing first sign of wear with minimal movement by indie shop doing a pca tech inspection. I was kinda hoping it was a fluke and definitely hoping it was warranty, now all hopes are dashed...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Hi Joe,
What is this meter in front of your GT3 tach?

At first I thought it was a shift light, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is it g correlated?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bluvan
8500 miles 9 track days at beginner pace. Front left bearing was reported showing first sign of wear with minimal movement by indie shop doing a pca tech inspection. I was kinda hoping it was a fluke and definitely hoping it was warranty, now all hopes are dashed...
So it turns out the front bearings were fine. Just a loose lower control arm bolt which caused the play. The rears bearings did have to be replaced.

Originally Posted by vantage
Hi Joe,
What is this meter in front of your GT3 tach?

At first I thought it was a shift light, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is it g correlated?
Good eyes!
It is G correlated.

I've been asked to test this device:
https://www.apextrackcoach.com/

I'll do a write up on it after I spend some more time with it and let you guys know. Talk to Clark at Apex performance if you want more details for now. It's a cool device.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I've read about this. Looks interesting
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks Joe. Ah the friction circle. I hit max g under braking and just before I start unwinding the steering, but not so much in between!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Wow there is some serious marking BS going on on that website, and ubiquitous use of the "machine learning" buzz word.

Basically the device is just keeping track of how much total acceleration vector your car is capable of and then shows you how close you're getting to it at each instant on the track.

Fun concept, but is it actually useful, Joe? You should be able to feel the same thing, and if I couldn't feel it, I don't think I'd trust this little device's "machine learning" predictions no matter how many black and white engineering drawings they copy and paste on their website graphics.

Good eyes!
It is G correlated.

I've been asked to test this device:
https://www.apextrackcoach.com/

I'll do a write up on it after I spend some more time with it and let you guys know. Talk to Clark at Apex performance if you want more details for now. It's a cool device.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Wow there is some serious marking BS going on on that website, and ubiquitous use of the "machine learning" buzz word.

Basically the device is just keeping track of how much total acceleration vector your car is capable of and then shows you how close you're getting to it at each instant on the track.

Fun concept, but is it actually useful, Joe? You should be able to feel the same thing, and if I couldn't feel it, I don't think I'd trust this little device's "machine learning" predictions no matter how many black and white engineering drawings they copy and paste on their website graphics.
Spoken like a true engineer! Lol! From what I gather, it looks like a live Gsum meter just like I use in my videos. Useful tool, but not everyone knows how to use math channels in rs2. Anyways, I'll do a more in depth write up after I spend some more time with it on Sunday. There are some cool things about it. You're welcome to try it out as well. We'll see who can log the highest 'score'.

Last edited by orthojoe; 07-18-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT4 track thread and ramblings