Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know much about gearboxes, but john T + matt M, the gearbox will be right

"GT4cup will disappiont you"...
i am so happy to hear that.
my bank is empty and i have margin calls and yearning for air cooled.... i dont need a GT4 cup.
You already have the next best thing. I'll have my own wanna-be-GT4 cup. I told myself, I won't go to the 3.8L engine until I blow my 3.4L engine.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Why put a PDK in the GT4RS? They already have the GT3.
Yep. If the 4RS is PDK only or PDK-rigged MT, I'll just keep the GT4. Simple.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I can't believe what I am reading here. BGB and Guard Transmission have been two of the most forthright and unwavering supporters of the RL brethren. John and Matt: you guys really don't need to defend yourselves here. Seriously...
I appreciate the thoughts but I didn't really think I was defending anything. I was just chatting about the PDK.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:34 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

i dont know much about gearboxes, but john T + matt M, the gearbox will be right

"GT4cup will disappiont you"...
i am so happy to hear that.
my bank is empty and i have margin calls and yearning for air cooled.... i dont need a GT4 cup.
It's a shame you don't like targas. I found an absolutely spectacular '83 with 23k mi on it. Showroom condition car. If I didn't have both my SuperCup and my 74 currently at the body shop I would have grabbed the thing for myself. It's all the money but a totally perfect SC.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

With Porsche production schedules I don't see how there can be a gt4rs in current chassis made? The cayman is due for a refresh like the 991 this fall for the 2017 model. Porsche usually doesn't come out with an RS model until well into the new model. My bet is we will see a 981.2 gt4 before a gt4rs.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Surprises me when dealers take a deposit for a car which hasn't been announced.. Is that a tacit understanding that they know it's coming, or just a way to interact with a customer?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Surprises me when dealers take a deposit for a car which hasn't been announced.. Is that a tacit understanding that they know it's coming, or just a way to interact with a customer?
Unfortunately in the current Porsche world this is the only way to get new limited model Porsches. Most dealers don't know anything more than what's on this board.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I think it is the latter. It gives them a portfoliio of potential customers. When the cars don't get made they can try to put them in something else. Or if they take a trade in on something that may be similar or of interest they can ring them up and offer them the other car. Never hurts to have a large call list of possibles.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:01 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think it is the latter. It gives them a portfoliio of potential customers. When the cars don't get made they can try to put them in something else. Or if they take a trade in on something that may be similar or of interest they can ring them up and offer them the other car. Never hurts to have a large call list of possibles.
I think that this is the biggest rationale behind it; why would you turn someone away and pop their balloon when you can give them hope that they can get an allocation or their hands on something better on the horizon? Obviously we don't enjoy it because we think that maybe 2 - 3 of these folks would wander on over to our doorstep once they realize they're just not going to get a car but it's been going on as long as i can remember and we don't see it changing.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

demand vs supply.
if that delta is small, it will work.
if you beg all the time and never get it, you will stop begging and buy bmw.
it's very simple, no major science
i practice on my kids. they always ask me if they can watch Tv, my answer is ALWAYS NO, and if they ask, i assume the are bored thus i give them more homework and house chore to do. they stopped asking me for tv. they ask mom.

GT4 is an attempt to grow PAG and get bimmerheads and dumb audi drivers (sorry, after the first real quattro, they made nothing worthy) into the brand. they are not used to this begging joke. they will leave and compound that with when janet yellen pumps the fed fund rate up 1 pt. PAG hahahaha. take a look at greece.

if the low supply was a strategy, they should get a copy of suntzu's art of war and read it again.
if the low supply was miscalculation.... that's a major mistake, like oops i leaned too far foward and the nuke is half way to china now, that big of a mistake.

someon at PAG should figure it out... it's getting a tad tiresome.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

demand vs supply.
if that delta is small, it will work.
if you beg all the time and never get it, you will stop begging and buy bmw.
it's very simple, no major science
i practice on my kids. they always ask me if they can watch Tv, my answer is ALWAYS NO, and if they ask, i assume the are bored thus i give them more homework and house chore to do. they stopped asking me for tv. they ask mom.

GT4 is an attempt to grow PAG and get bimmerheads and dumb audi drivers (sorry, after the first real quattro, they made nothing worthy) into the brand. they are not used to this begging joke. they will leave and compound that with when janet yellen pumps the fed fund rate up 1 pt. PAG hahahaha. take a look at greece.

if the low supply was a strategy, they should get a copy of suntzu's art of war and read it again.
if the low supply was miscalculation.... that's a major mistake, like oops i leaned too far foward and the nuke is half way to china now, that big of a mistake.

someon at PAG should figure it out... it's getting a tad tiresome.
OT: Mooty for President!!! Do we have a 2nd?!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Dealers also want to enter in V070 order demands from actual customers so that they can communicate to PCNA that they should receive more allocations. Doubt allocations are actually handed out on this basis though.

There are a lot of tire kickers though. Or circumstances change for people. Otherwise you wouldn't hear about people in the 20-something position at their dealer getting an allocation.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

It was a mistake according to those from the factory I spoke with. There was disagreement within the company: one faction saw the GT4 as a more expensive version (-1) of a slow selling car (-2) in manual only (-3), and decided they wouldn't sell. Another group disagreed, but were out-voted. Good news for us- they probably should have jacked up the price by 10k.

Some in Porsche seem to have missed the fact that the sports car market has split- it seems to me there is a faction that wants capability and comfort, another that wants experience and involvement, and something of a no-mans land in between. If a GTS manual sees less spectacular sales than an S PDK, one might assume customers think the GTS manual is too hardcore and expensive. True for some, but it's also not hard enough to appeal to another group of buyers, and the GT4 successfully bridged the gap.

The 981 line has spare capacity that the GT4 and Spyder were designed to fill, but it has no where near as much capacity as there is demand. Which creates the silly situation we're in now. The good news is that Porsche is capable of learning from their mistakes, particularly when money is involved... Question is, will they up production, or the price?

Last edited by Petevb; 07-28-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Question is, will they up production, or the price?
Personally I think that if they upped production and even price, they would easily sell every single GT4 produced.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
It was a mistake. There was disagreement within the company: one faction saw the GT4 as a more expensive version (-1) of a slow selling car (-2) in manual only (-3), and decided they wouldn't sell. Another group disagreed, but were out-voted. Good news for us- they probably should have jacked up the price by 10k.

Some in Porsche seem to have missed the fact that the sports car market has split- it seems to me there is a faction that wants capability and comfort, another that wants experience and involvement, and something of a no-mans land in between. If a GTS manual sees less spectacular sales than an S PDK, one might assume customers think the GTS manual it too hardcore. True for some, but it's also not hard enough to appeal to another group of buyers, and the GT4 successfully bridged the gap.

The 981 line has spare capacity that the GT4 and Spyder were designed to fill, but it has no where near as much capacity as there is demand. Which creates the silly situation we're in now. The good news is that Porsche is capable of learning from their mistakes. When money is involved, anyway... Question is, will they up production, or the price?
Very smart post and totally agreed. The cheapest way to increase profitability is to increase the price if the demand is there. Much less risk than having cars sitting around on the lots when producing too many.

From a performance, components standpoint, like Petev said, the GT4 is a bargain.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS