Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

It was through that exhaustive process that I learned enough to feel confident in custom ordering my '12 Boxster Spyder.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Well your car is amazing one of the best cars I've seen spec'd if the not the best.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:28 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInNj
Leather visors:
I was also told by PCNA that the leather visors are black with the red interior. Otherwise I wanted to order them. They were half price if ordered with the car.

Key holder:
I ordered one at the last minute. I'm glad I did, it is awesome!!!
Congrats on the key pouch. I actually like the black steering wheel. The color scheme is more like one of the 356 Speedster interiors, essentially the reverse of the 550 Spyder that had a black dash but red wheel and seats.

I've had red interiors and the red wheel was almost too much. I think you'll like this interior, and at some point you won't be looking at it, you'll be watching your lines and trying not to smile so much.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Don't wait until your order freeze date to get your final spec in!

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Perhaps I'm wrong, but seems likely the majority of cars were ordered to build so it seemed important that the information on the site be correct. Frankly, I would have spent more money had I known more information about what exactly I was paying for and what it would look like. I hit a hundred k easily and I would have done PTS had I had accurate samples to choose from and I would have done little things like the leather door sills or the key fob. Honestly, this whole experience has me a little disappointed - from the dealership to the website it's been a marginal experience at best.
I would echo some of the prior comments about the tortured Spyder ordering process. The final insult in my tale of woe, the long history of which I will spare you, happened two weeks ago when I was notified by my SA that my upcoming order freeze date in November had, without any prior notice, unilaterally been "accelerated" by Porsche, the net result being that the last build I had spec'd over the summer - just a preliminary build to get something on the record books with Porsche - is now my final build. I have since come to learn that it is not unheard of for Porsche to "accelerate" orders so anyone out there with a future order freeze date, take note - - don't believe that you actually have as much time as you think you do to get your final spec in, because that may not be the case. If you haven't recently updated your spec with your SA, I would strongly suggest you do it now so what happened to me doesn't happen to you. Don't believe for one second that your order freeze date is necessarily firm, because it isn't.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Default Some questions about the top . . .

Originally Posted by red route 1
Mine arrived, compared to prior '15 Boxster GTS with X73 and PTV, chassis feels the same, steering 10x better, more torque, and roof is PITA, not flimsy but feels a bit fragile -- or lets say, not bank vault robust.

A lot of fun in a nice package...
Congrats on your Spyder - - she's a beauty!

With respect to the top:

--Can you expound further on its "robustness"

--When you say it feels fragile, are you referring to the top itself or the rear trunk supports which in some of the videos look far from rigid

--Is the persplex rear window sewn in or zippered in? I've had convertibles where the plastic rear window was actually sewn into the top requiring replacement of the whole top when just the window went bad. I'm assuming/hoping that's not the case with the Spyder

--Having come from your '15 GTS, would you say you have the same amount of headroom in the Spyder? The Spyder top looks to have a lower profile and was wondering if, indeed, there is less headroom compared to the other Boxster models when the top is up.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Congrats on your Spyder - - she's a beauty!

With respect to the top:

--Can you expound further on its "robustness"

--When you say it feels fragile, are you referring to the top itself or the rear trunk supports which in some of the videos look far from rigid

--Is the persplex rear window sewn in or zippered in? I've had convertibles where the plastic rear window was actually sewn into the top requiring replacement of the whole top when just the window went bad. I'm assuming/hoping that's not the case with the Spyder

--Having come from your '15 GTS, would you say you have the same amount of headroom in the Spyder? The Spyder top looks to have a lower profile and was wondering if, indeed, there is less headroom compared to the other Boxster models when the top is up.

Thanks!
Thanks.

On headroom, it looks a little lower but that may be an illusion as some have said this is just the regular top stripped of insulation and headliner, and flanked by the flying buttress wings.

The window looks sown in, i didn't see any zipper tracks.

Everything about the roof system seems a bit fragile. When you deal with the top itself, or the rear cover, it feels like it would be easy to torque them out of alignment. Somebody in a hurry or who doesn't care could easily do that, IMHO.

I intend to leave it down most of the time and just not deal with it. I tell myself that's what it was meant for
Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 PM
red route 1
Instructor

I would echo some of the prior comments about the tortured Spyder ordering process. The final insult in my tale of woe, the long history of which I will spare you, happened two weeks ago when I was notified by my SA that my upcoming order freeze date in November had, without any prior notice, unilaterally been "accelerated" by Porsche, the net result being that the last build I had spec'd over the summer - just a preliminary build to get something on the record books with Porsche - is now my final build. I have since come to learn that it is not unheard of for Porsche to "accelerate" orders so anyone out there with a future order freeze date, take note - - don't believe that you actually have as much time as you think you do to get your final spec in, because that may not be the case. If you haven't recently updated your spec with your SA, I would strongly suggest you do it now so what happened to me doesn't happen to you. Don't believe for one second that your order freeze date is necessarily firm, because it isn't.
I concur. My recommendation is to always submit the build you can live with, and then play with it from there. I've had builds that I changed a dozen times, drove my SA nuts, and it's embarrassing because PAG sees every change.

What's really interesting is in the two cases I've done PTS, the minute the color is accepted the build freezes, even if the original freeze date was months away. I guess I can understand this one.

Not excusing their process, just trying to roll with it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:52 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

I concur. My recommendation is to always submit the build you can live with, and then play with it from there. I've had builds that I changed a dozen times, drove my SA nuts, and it's embarrassing because PAG sees every change.

What's really interesting is in the two cases I've done PTS, the minute the color is accepted the build freezes, even if the original freeze date was months away. I guess I can understand this one.

Not excusing their process, just trying to roll with it.
I thought I had really done my homework. I knew intimately the ins and outs of PTS ordering availability and how that can open and close on a moments notice, was fully aware of the LWB supply issues, etc., but I didn't factor in "acceleration" of my order freeze date as yet another moving variable to have to contend with. Over the last couple of months there has been some great option info come to light in this thread (i.e., concerning the wart, sun visors, "memory" seats, the color of interior options, etc., etc.) such that my build today would be a lot different from the one I preliminarily spec'd months ago. It's sage advice, as you say, to initially spec your car as close to your final build as possible and then frequently keep fine tuning the build from there, particularly where, as in this case, specific info about the car and its options has only trickled out slowly over time as people have started to take delivery.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Don't be embarrassed about being "that guy" who changes his order continuously. I promised my SA I wouldn't be "that guy" and over a month ago he tells me.. "You know you're "that guy" right?".. Lol, I was crestfallen.

... Since then I've made probably 6+ changes. Sigh. I blame it on this forum.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Don't be embarrassed about being "that guy" who changes his order continuously. I promised my SA I wouldn't be "that guy" and over a month ago he tells me.. "You know you're "that guy" right?".. Lol, I was crestfallen.

Also guilty of being "that guy" , I'm ashamed to admit.
Changed my order a few times as well.
*hangs head in shame*
It's all Eduardo's fault!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

When you deal with the top itself, or the rear cover, it feels like it would be easy to torque them out of alignment.
Rear cover? What do you mean by rear cover? Are talking about the aluminum trunk cover? If you are, are you saying that it seems flimsy? I was actually worried about this just from the look of it and how it operated so this is rather important to me. Aren't some of the metal parts in the convertible top alloys? Maybe this is why it seems fragile? So glad to be having this conversation now that there are cars here.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I thought I had really done my homework. I knew intimately the ins and outs of PTS ordering availability and how that can open and close on a moments notice, was fully aware of the LWB supply issues, etc., but I didn't factor in "acceleration" of my order freeze date as yet another moving variable to have to contend with. Over the last couple of months there has been some great option info come to light in this thread (i.e., concerning the wart, sun visors, "memory" seats, the color of interior options, etc., etc.) such that my build today would be a lot different from the one I preliminarily spec'd months ago. It's sage advice, as you say, to initially spec your car as close to your final build as possible and then frequently keep fine tuning the build from there, particularly where, as in this case, specific info about the car and its options has only trickled out slowly over time as people have started to take delivery.
I'm originally from the OC too, anyway curious to know what did you end up with and what did you lose?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

My SA rolls his eyes if I mention the forum; it's like suddenly he wants to kill me.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:50 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

I wish I had been "that guy." Like everyone, I've flip-flopped for months over various options and created numerous different "dream" builds.

Knowing how likely I was to change my mind on options, particularly as more people started taking delivery and more pics of various options started showing up on-line, I just never communicated to my SA my latest desired build each time I made a change. What's the point, I thought? I've got until my November freeze date to lock in my final build.

In hindsight now, I should have been "that guy" and bugged my SA repeatedly with updated builds each time I changed my mind rather than waiting closer to my order freeze date to submit my final spec. I simply had no idea my order freeze date could get "accelerated" three weeks early with absolutely no prior notice.

Believing my freeze date was accurate, or at least not subject to change without some type of prior notice, came back to bite me. Live and learn. Just when you think you've got it pretty much figured out, in comes the curve ball you never anticipated.

I don't want to whine more about it - - it's not a good look. Instead, I mainly wanted to warn others who may be waiting to submit their final spec closer to their freeze date. Don't do it! Get your latest and greatest build to your SA pronto because you may not have all the time you think you do.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I'm originally from the OC too, anyway curious to know what did you end up with and what did you lose?
If ordering today my build would differ from the order which has now locked with respect to exterior color, interior color, certain interior trim options, sport exhaust tips, and a few other smaller items. Some of these options can be added after delivery as dealer-installed options - - although I'm finding to no one's surprise they're more expensive if you go that route - - and others cannot.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!