Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:50 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine arrived, compared to prior '15 Boxster GTS with X73 and PTV, chassis feels the same, steering 10x better, more torque, and roof is PITA, not flimsy but feels a bit fragile -- or lets say, not bank vault robust.

A lot of fun in a nice package...
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2015, 03:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Got a slot today for delivery some point in spring! Any advice on options please? Especially from those with cars delivered? Excited!
LWB.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red route 1
Mine arrived, compared to prior '15 Boxster GTS with X73 and PTV, chassis feels the same, steering 10x better, more torque, and roof is PITA, not flimsy but feels a bit fragile -- or lets say, not bank vault robust.

Gorgeuos!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM
w12jfd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iflywoe
Mine is not here yet, but I regret not getting rear cam, that's going to be my second mod.
Yep, rear camera a must in my view. 1,200 miles on mine and loving it. Most fun I've had in a car since I was eighteen and thrashing a tuned Renault 5 turbo round back lanes. First track day arrives in a week with a few GT4s to compare notes with, can't wait!
Old 10-28-2015, 04:39 PM
www.964RS.net
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

More pics from the rodium one, please
Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Just wanted to note the RED sun-visors! I should have gotten the leather seat backs because it is really noticeable and it looks great in red. I'm regretting that now with these recent pictures of red interiors. More pictures please!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:52 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Just wanted to note the RED sun-visors! I should have gotten the leather seat backs because it is really noticeable and it looks great in red. I'm regretting that now with these recent pictures of red interiors. More pictures please!
I didn't know how the sun-visors would arrive, whether black or red. These are "in leather" so that probably decides it since all the black is alcantara.

Here is the build and a few more pictures. Btw, I didn't do ED with this one after all, would have been great though. And I should have mentioned the shifter -- wow, so much better.
Attached Images       
Old 10-28-2015, 07:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I'm just noticing this and praying that my order hasn't locked. I asked my SA to check with Porsche to make sure that leather sun visors with the Spyder package were in fact RED... based on pics on the internet this is what I thought.

SA came back confirming that sun visors would be black... so I changed to alcantara... now seeing this is confirming that (unless route 1 special ordered red ones which i was told would cost me $1000's)... that sun visors are indeed RED!

Not blaming my SAwho is a buddy... but why is it so damn hard for PCNA to give correct info???
Old 10-28-2015, 09:06 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm just noticing this and praying that my order hasn't locked. I asked my SA to check with Porsche to make sure that leather sun visors with the Spyder package were in fact RED... based on pics on the internet this is what I thought.

SA came back confirming that sun visors would be black... so I changed to alcantara... now seeing this is confirming that (unless route 1 special ordered red ones which i was told would cost me $1000's)... that sun visors are indeed RED!

Not blaming my SAwho is a buddy... but why is it so damn hard for PCNA to give correct info???
No, no special orders... i find that even the best SA's can't keep up with all of the options and variations. Like on GT4, for some reason you can't order the carbon fiber shifter ... which is presumably the same unit as on the Spyder. And even though the seats in my build say 18-way "memory" seats, there is no memory ...
Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for that. Could you explain more about what is 10x better with the steering?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

No, no special orders... i find that even the best SA's can't keep up with all of the options and variations. Like on GT4, for some reason you can't order the carbon fiber shifter ... which is presumably the same unit as on the Spyder. And even though the seats in my build say 18-way "memory" seats, there is no memory ...
he specifically asked PCNA and sent the original picture of red interior we had found online which showed the red column leather and red sun visors... was told that they were both black leather and that the picture must have showed a special order for the steering column and sun visors! argh!

anyway, Just asked to change the sun visors back from alcantara to leather... and looking at the pic, I may even go with the leather instrument surround, not sure yet.

how does the red plastic of the instrument surround match your red leather now that you see it in real life?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One other question: what tyres does the Spyder come with?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Thanks for that. Could you explain more about what is 10x better with the steering?
It's all subjective, and before I comment I'll mention I've owned 997 GT3's and RS and 991 GT3 and so the steering isn't back to the direct sometimes squirrely steering of the 997 ... but vs the 981 GTS, the smaller wheel and I presume new programming and the Turbo rack have something to do with it, the steering just feels so much better, more direct and go-kart-ish, at least to me.

So if i were to summarize the Spyder v. GTS in my opinion:

+Steering
+Torque
+Shifter
+Sound
+Styling

0 Chassis seems the same

-Roof
-Everyday "usability" options like PASM, ventilated seats, Entry&Drive, Memory positions
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
he specifically asked PCNA and sent the original picture of red interior we had found online which showed the red column leather and red sun visors... was told that they were both black leather and that the picture must have showed a special order for the steering column and sun visors! argh!

anyway, Just asked to change the sun visors back from alcantara to leather... and looking at the pic, I may even go with the leather instrument surround, not sure yet.

how does the red plastic of the instrument surround match your red leather now that you see it in real life?
To me that match is close to perfect, but in the right/wrong light they can diverge. But I'm happy with it. I have to say the Garnet is way better than the prior Carrera Red which looked orange-ish most of the time.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 PM
red route 1
Instructor

One other question: what tyres does the Spyder come with?
Every car may be different but mine came with PZero's, 265/35 rear, 235/35 front

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!