Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
Yes, the aluminum trunk cover, not "flimsy" but doesn't feel rock solid. It's hard to explain, but unlike the GTS trunk cover it doesn't just rotate up/down from the hinge, there is a complex "hinge" that moves it down and forward in one motion. The thing is cool to see but it is seems as lightweight as they could make it for the cost. It will be easy to see when your car arrives. I'd just say be careful with it and shouldn't have any problems. When I move the trunk cover or top, I try to do that from the center vs. the sides, hoping that will put less strain on the system.
Actually this is exactly as I feared. The mechanism that raises the rear truck lid seemed engineered within it's life from the videos and now I know it's true. Doesn't surprise me but I was hoping I was wrong so your post is very helpful and what to expect. Maybe I should have gotten a targa 4s. Is the truck cover stable while driving at speed or does it move a bit?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:50 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just locked in my spyder allocation.

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Saw these on the pff site. Looks really good!

milehigh, do you know what porsche color code the gray is in the pics above? is it metallic?

i havent posted on RL for a long time. so in the way of reintroduction:

i'm a long time porsche fan (73 911t, 993 c4 & c4ss), just sold my 991s in plat silver on carrera red. i've been lurking on the 981 spyder threads for a while trying to decide what my next p-car will be.

i've considered gt4, boxster gts, gt3 and spyder. given my proclivity for motos and open air driving (i've owned alfa's and 3 s2000's!), i've decided to pull the trigger on a spyder. imo, it suits my driving needs and style best, with the potential for at least some level of investment protection.

i locked in my allocation for a march build / june delivery this morning with a local dealer. i was able to get spyder slots at three sf bay area dealers, so the demand is no where near the gt4.

the car is as much a collectible, as a joy-rider for me, so i'm not in a hurry to get it. my plan is to wait until feb 2016 when the final order spec needs to be locked and see whats happening with the 2017's. if there's no change to the powertrain (addition of turbo), i may rollover to a late allocation 2017. my goal is to get the last 3.8 spyder off the zuffenhausen line!

if you're interested or have comments, my current spyder build code is http://www.porsche-code.com/PG28JPH0

i'll post some pics of a gt silver spyder, that just arrived for customer delivery at a dealer near me.

ciao, fellow spyder fanatics!

Last edited by taibo; 10-31-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-2015, 05:08 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taibo
milehigh, do you know what porsche color code the gray is in the pics above? is it metallic?

i havent posted on RL for a long time. so in the way of reintroduction:

i'm a long time porsche fan (73 911t, 993 c4 & c4ss), just sold my 991s in plat silver on carrera red. i've been lurking on the 981 spyder threads for a while trying to decide what my next p-car will be.

i've considered gt4, boxster gts, gt3 and spyder. given my proclivity for motos and open air driving (i've owned alfa's and 3 s2000's!), i've decided to pull the trigger on a spyder. imo, it suits my driving needs and style best, with the potential for at least some level of investment protection.

i locked in my allocation for a march build / june delivery this morning with a local dealer. i was able to get spyder slots at three sf bay area dealers, so the demand is no where near the gt4.

the car is as much a collectible, as a joy-rider for me, so i'm not in a hurry to get it. my plan is to wait until feb 2016 when the final order spec needs to be locked and see whats happening with the 2017's. if there's no change to the powertrain (addition of turbo), i may rollover to a late allocation 2017. my goal is to get the last 3.8 spyder off the zuffenhausen line!

if you're interested or have comments, my current spyder build code is http://www.porsche-code.com/PG28JPH0

i'll post some pics of a gt silver spyder, that just arrived for customer delivery at a dealer near me.

ciao, fellow spyder fanatics!
HI Taibo,
I think that spider is actually white (possibly Carrara white) not grey. None of the PTS spiders have been built yet, so it has to be a stock color. Probably just the shades making it look more grey.
Welcome back! That's a nice build you've got.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:37 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Actually this is exactly as I feared. The mechanism that raises the rear truck lid seemed engineered within it's life from the videos and now I know it's true. Doesn't surprise me but I was hoping I was wrong so your post is very helpful and what to expect. Maybe I should have gotten a targa 4s. Is the truck cover stable while driving at speed or does it move a bit?
I had a Targa 4S and really enjoyed the "roadster" feeling that the targa bar gives, but the old rattles and squeaks were there, almost like they engineered these in for those who remember the originals...

There are no noises and rattles so far in this car, it is very stiff compared to the Boxster GTS and even 911 GTS Cab, ... all i can say is the entire package in my opinion lives up to the design point, a weekend car for thrashing around curvy roads...
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 PM
taibo
Instructor

Thx milehigh.

Wow. That doesn't look like Carrera white at all. Is there a good resource for researching Porsche color samples and order codes. I go ogled but didn't find a good one right off. There's a BMW periwinkle blue metallic on the M4's that I like... wondering if Porsche offers a similar color.

Here are some of the pics I took at a local dealer (not the one I placed my order with) of a GT silver spyder. Wait how do I post pics to rennlist from my smartphone? Gotta figure it out!

I had the chance to open and close the top. Not very difficult, I'm sure it'd be a snap after a few cycles.

Aloha for now.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

Taibo,
Carrara White Metallic looks different than standard Carrera White. The metallic version does have a grey cast to it. White is the standard white that replaces the old standard Carrara White. If Porsche was smart they would have renamed it to avoid the confusion.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:03 PM
taibo
Instructor

Ahh. Got it. Yes. CWM. sure reads as grey in pic though. Must be lighting or something.

Maybe I should stick w white and have it wrapped!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo is the best! crack dealer or not

Still think he should get royalties on every PTS car sold

check out the RS (more cars PTS than any individual color)
Spyder, GT4, more PTS requests than PAG can handle

maybe they will get the hint and offer more variety and more choices in the regular colors

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Youre Just Like The perfect drug dealer Eduardo.. Little drip at a time until they absolutely depend on you... Genius.

So, ARE you Rennlist? ;-)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by navanoD
Taibo,
Carrara White Metallic looks different than standard Carrera White. The metallic version does have a grey cast to it. White is the standard white that replaces the old standard Carrara White. If Porsche was smart they would have renamed it to avoid the confusion.
Ahh. Got it. Yes. CWM. sure reads as grey in pic though. Must be lighting or something.

Maybe I should stick w white and have it wrapped!
Yeah, CWM definitely has a smoky hue to it. Very nice color to my eyes. The non metallic white is very bright - similar to an appliance white.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:36 PM
taibo
Instructor

I was looking at the pts colors on a pts tutorial post Eduardo did a few years back.

Has anyone ever seen AETNA BLUE? It's an approved pts color.

It looks like a light grey blue non-metallic in the jpg's online... I think it might look good with dark (blk or Platinum) wheels and all the black spyder accents.

Opinions?

I was looking for a color similar to bmw's m4 periwinkle shade. Aetna seems closest to it in the approved colors.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM
GTautoDesign
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eee gags yikes, red intakes do not look good at all!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM
red route 1
Instructor

I was looking at the pts colors on a pts tutorial post Eduardo did a few years back.

Has anyone ever seen AETNA BLUE? It's an approved pts color.

It looks like a light grey blue non-metallic in the jpg's online... I think it might look good with dark (blk or Platinum) wheels and all the black spyder accents.

Opinions?

I was looking for a color similar to bmw's m4 periwinkle shade. Aetna seems closest to it in the approved colors.
My first PTS was a 2013 991 in Aetna Blue. What a great and classic color, only negative to me was because it's a non-metallic, in very bright sun the color completely washes out.

If you want to see it check out Slantnose here on reenlist.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTautoDesign

This is why I went with GT Silver.

If you look historically, the red/black interiors went with silver exteriors on the racing cars up until around 1964 when the exteriors went to white.

Check out the 550 Spyder, the 918 RSK, RS60/61 etc., then the 904 ...

The 906, 908 ... went to white.

The white can be really stunning and if you've seen CWM or better Oryx, they are the best. But to some eyes the plain white can look like a Maytag, and that's not what I was looking for.

Color is so personal, I'm just happy when I see these cars on the road.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red route 1
My first PTS was a 2013 991 in Aetna Blue. What a great and classic color, only negative to me was because it's a non-metallic, in very bright sun the color completely washes out.

If you want to see it check out Slantnose here on reenlist.
I briefly entertained this color, though it might look good with the classic interior.
I like metallic paints though, so reading your experience, I'm glad I ruled it out.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:50 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTautoDesign

Yeah, not a fan either

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!