Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
That's how I built mine originally, but in Sapphire Blue -- yellow stitching, yellow belts, PCCB. In the end decided to go with the 718RS60 color scheme and its growing on me.
Nice. Is that with GT Silver? And did you stick with the iron brakes to match?
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
OK thanks.
Another porsche configutator fail.
I received a refund from Porsche for not having memory on my 991 GT3. They basically paid me for the full cost of the 18 way seat option. It was part of the peace offerings for the delays due to engine issues. Porsche treated us well. Also received the use of a new 911 for 6 months at no charge. And a few other things. Great support from them during that time.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Nice. Is that with GT Silver? And did you stick with the iron brakes to match?
Yes, I went with GT Silver and the previous "special" price, and though I usually spec PCCB's I went with steel brakes because of color and figured they'd be fine as they're off the 991 S. Definitely better than the 981 GTS.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
I received a refund from Porsche for not having memory on my 991 GT3. They basically paid me for the full cost of the 18 way seat option. It was part of the peace offerings for the delays due to engine issues. Porsche treated us well. Also received the use of a new 911 for 6 months at no charge. And a few other things. Great support from them during that time.
I think we all deserve a little something for the memory seats without memory ...
Old 10-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we all deserve a little something for the memory seats without memory ...
Agreed.
I more than a little annoyed with this omission since it clearly states memory function on the configutator.
Making me rethink the seats.

Not sure why its so damn hard to have accurate information there.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

That's how I built mine originally, but in Sapphire Blue -- yellow stitching, yellow belts, PCCB. In the end decided to go with the 718RS60 color scheme and its growing on me.
Funny, I spec-ed mine as well in that combo. But, after much deliberations, decided to remain bit traditional, with all-black interior. I knew I had to have Sapphire Blue, since no other color appealed to me. Thought about PTS, but missed the window! But, totally love the two-tone red interior. It seems to work well with small set of colors such as black, silver, white, etc.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Agreed.
I more than a little annoyed with this omission since it clearly states memory function on the configutator.
Making me rethink the seats.

Not sure why its so damn hard to have accurate information there.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but seems likely the majority of cars were ordered to build so it seemed important that the information on the site be correct. Frankly, I would have spent more money had I known more information about what exactly I was paying for and what it would look like. I hit a hundred k easily and I would have done PTS had I had accurate samples to choose from and I would have done little things like the leather door sills or the key fob. Honestly, this whole experience has me a little disappointed - from the dealership to the website it's been a marginal experience at best.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Perhaps I'm wrong, but seems likely the majority of cars were ordered to build so it seemed important that the information on the site be correct. Frankly, I would have spent more money had I known more information about what exactly I was paying for and what it would look like. I hit a hundred k easily and I would have done PTS had I had accurate samples to choose from and I would have done little things like the leather door sills or the key fob. Honestly, this whole experience has me a little disappointed - from the dealership to the website it's been a marginal experience at best.
Yeah, it's lacking for sure. I've had a good experience with the dealer, so that evens it out some but the uncertainty with orders is nuts.
I love the S, so I'm guessing this will all be a distant memory once I get in the car. Lesson learned about ordering new though.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I learned, or at least I'm happy that I read this advice over and over and followed it.. To Just buy the options you want, don't agonize over price. I ended up at $101k, but the car is exactly like I wanted it, it's the leathery-est Spyder in the world on the inside, with a nice stereo. I have no doubt I will not worry about the extra $ I spent over a stripped out one, but will enjoy all the extra details.

I Agree that the ordering experience is crazy.. Even today I still don't know what color my steering column, sun visors or door sills will be.. BC pcna's INTERNAL configurator shows something different from what is arriving on people's cars... Pretty funny actually.

EDIT: after multiple re-checks with pcna, SA just confirmed what seemed evident from deliver pice we are seeing, which is that when you order leather sun visors, they are red. YIPPEE!!! however, they still don't know for the steering column or interior leather door sills, but I would be VERY surprised if they made this the only parts in black leather in the whole car... (fingers remain crossed for red door sills.)

Last edited by CAlexio; 10-30-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I know that's what I think too, would be weird that it would be the only black leather? But now I have to wonder what color my leather steering wheel and shifter are going to be? Someone argued that the lower leather bits would be black, and that made sense, but now I would bet they were all red.

I'm now 4 weeks away from my car fingers crossed, but honestly I wouldn't bet that I get it. Seems like there's still a chance I might not ever see it for reasons beyond my control which shows how much faith this whole experience has given me. Maybe Porsche wants to be like Ferrari? Anyway, no hard feelings, good to hear other people had great experiences.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

I know that's what I think too, would be weird that it would be the only black leather? But now I have to wonder what color my leather steering wheel and shifter are going to be? Someone argued that the lower leather bits would be black, and that made sense, but now I would bet they were all red.

I'm now 4 weeks away from my car fingers crossed, but honestly I wouldn't bet that I get it. Seems like there's still a chance I might not ever see it for reasons beyond my control which shows how much faith this whole experience has given me. Maybe Porsche wants to be like Ferrari? Anyway, no hard feelings, good to hear other people had great experiences.
i just realized.. there IS black leather in the car... check out our rennlist friend's car with black leather steering wheel.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pick to have a leather wheel and gear shift. No charge.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I know that's what I think too, would be weird that it would be the only black leather? But now I have to wonder what color
my leather steering wheel and shifter are going to be? Someone argued that the lower leather bits would be black, and that
made sense, but now I would bet they were all red.
Originally Posted by CAlexio
i just realized.. there IS black leather in the car...

As I previously said in an earlier post here, I would not be surprised if the leather in the items you guys are wondering
about (steering column, door sills) will be done in 'Black' given that it's a two-tone interior, with the bottom half in 'black',
whether those are 'black' plastic or 'black' leather or 'charcoal/black' alcantara.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but seems likely the majority of cars were ordered to build so it seemed important that the information
on the site be correct. Frankly, I would have spent more money had I known more information about what exactly I was
paying for and what it would look like. I hit a hundred k easily and I would have done PTS had I had accurate samples to
choose from and I would have done little things like the leather door sills or the key fob. Honestly, this whole experience
has me a little disappointed - from the dealership to the website it's been a marginal experience at best.
Jean: We have had that problem since day one at Porsche. Even before the advent of the configurators, the sales brochures
and other buyer's 'aids' were incomplete. In the past, we had to rely on word-of-mouth from experienced buyers or savvy
Porsche dealer sales staff (which is rare). Today, you are best served by internet forums such as this one in Rennlist. And
when our collective ordering experience at Rennlist is still is not enough to answer ALL of your questions, you need to get
in the face of the staff PAG & PCNA has hired to precisely answer those questions for us, either by personal visits, telephone
calls or emails. When I started posting about 'custom ordering' a Boxster or 911, there was not that much information on
this forum (much less elsewhere) about it. So I bombarded 'Porsche Exclusive', both in the US & Germany, with questions!
I also drove long distances to attend auto shows like the giant LA event in November, which is usually staffed by several
representatives of 'Porsche Exclusive', including almost always the manager of that department. And I peppered them with
my inquiries & requested photos of how these options actually looked on already built cars for other customers.

It was through that exhaustive process that I learned enough to feel confident in custom ordering my '12 Boxster Spyder.
And it was a a result of that long cognitive experience that I felt empowered to start posting about it here on Rennlist in
order to help others. So I urge all others wishing to 'custom order' their dream Porsche not to give up. There are many
avenues to pursue for information about the possible options for your Porsche. And as a last resort, go directly to 'Porsche
Exclusive' & demand to know what they are so that you don't have any disappointments or regrets over your specific built
or the entire custom ordering process you experienced!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 PM
SteveInNj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leather visors:
I was also told by PCNA that the leather visors are black with the red interior. Otherwise I wanted to order them. They were half price if ordered with the car.

Key holder:
I ordered one at the last minute. I'm glad I did, it is awesome!!!
Old 10-30-2015, 08:01 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your dedication: this site has actually been a huge resource beyond compare. I may post a lot but I'm actually reading and researching far more than I post because there is just so much knowledge and experience shared here. Takes a lot of patience to sort through everything.

Anyway too bad the Leather Steering wheel will be black! If that's the case then I wonder what the leather steering column would be they really should have spelled this all out but as you mention that's not Porsche's strength? I first thought red like the visors now I'm not too sure. I would have paid extra for an all red interior. But I'm excited to experience the gray alcan.

Gosh I can not wait to get my car. If it falls through, then I'm going to order a 488 and bail on the brand or maybe just buy some more land in California.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!