Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019 | 10:30 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Is the press launch currently going on? When can we expect first thoughts/impressions?
Yes. Embargo lifted sometime Thursday / Friday?
Old 07-10-2019 | 10:43 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by groundhog
What are the dealers saying in terms of allocations and deliveries in your part of OZ?
If its like before, each dealer may only get 1 or 2 cars from the first cargo shipment.
Its just the same as if it was any new model model car. That is that sales demand is always high for the first 6 months of production as there are only so many cars that any one dealer can get. If you want to be an early adopter you need to be high on the list. After that it there should be a minimal wait list and time.
Like when the Macan first came out, you will get one eventually, you just need to wait a bit.
Old 07-10-2019 | 11:27 AM
Bausse9
Track Day

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Dealer confirms no Particulate filter for Australia. So this should result in a more aggressive sound. yay.
That would be great, but nothing so far has indicated that there will be two specs of car, market dependent, and one sounding better than the other.

Wouldn’t also assume that if there are non-particulate filter cars that Porsche would ‘allow’ these to sound any different - it would undermine the particulate fitted cars.
Old 07-10-2019 | 01:51 PM
blipit
Advanced

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Dealer confirms no Particulate filter for Australia. So this should result in a more aggressive sound. yay.
Makes sense, same situation with BMW. New BMW’s in Australia don’t have particulate filters as well. Euro M2 Comp sounds a lot quieter than the US and Australian market M2 Comp. They have second set of cats in place of the GPF.
Originally Posted by Bausse9
That would be great, but nothing so far has indicated that there will be two specs of car, market dependent, and one sounding better than the other.

Wouldn’t also assume that if there are non-particulate filter cars that Porsche would ‘allow’ these to sound any different - it would undermine the particulate fitted cars.
New Speedster has different specs, US does not get the particulate filters. In place of the filters there is dummy canisters minus all the sensors, with inert substrate that mimics back pressure.
Old 07-10-2019 | 02:00 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by GP Racing
The official time is 7.28 around the Nordshleife for the 718 GT4. That is around 12 seconds faster than the 981 GT4! The sum of all its small improvements adds up to quite large changes in lap times (more than just a tire or resurface). Nice overall improvement on the .1 car. The PDK (confirmed late 2020) will we be quicker again. Wait for the reviews to come in after the press release in Scotland.
I strongly disagree.
You cannot underestimate the improved track surface as well as the new tires.
I'm sure that the new aero helps.... but you really need to put the 981 back on the Nordshleife with the same tires as the 718 in order to have a real "apples to apples" comparison.
As someone posted above, the increased horsepower only contributes to 3 seconds quicker.
Old 07-10-2019 | 02:57 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by works_team
The 718 Cayman GT4 has set a new fastest lap on the

Nordschleife at the Nürburgring. Its lap time of 7:28 minutes

on the legendary 20.6 km racetrack was 12 seconds quicker

than the time set by its predecessor, quicker even than the time

achieved by the Carrera GT supercar when it was launched.

Whereas the pure increase in power of the GT4 would have

resulted in an improvement of only around three seconds, the

overall package of aerodynamics, tyres and chassis-tuning made

it possible to better the previous time by 12 seconds.

Wow! There a big part of me that really wants to believe this slightly unfair comparison...

A lightweight spring-strut suspension, designed for extreme

loads, guides the front wheels with particularly fine precision

and provides the basis for highly agile steering response.

Spring struts are also used on the reinforced lightweight rear

axle. Here too, both the upside-down shock absorbers and the

longitudinal and transverse control arms are taken from the

GT3, as are the subframes. The same applies to the special ball

joints, which allow mounting of the chassis without play. The

rear axle’s wheel knuckles have a unique design and provide

additional stability.

Does anyone know if the 991.2 GT3 front axle was much different than the 991.1 GT3's? Just curious.
Spring rates stayed the same, there's some who feel the shocks were softened slightly for a better ride. Pretty much no change vs the RS cars which got much stiffer in the update from 991.1 -> 991.2. I take this to mean minor if any changes over 981.
Old 07-10-2019 | 03:25 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by works_team
, quicker even than the time

achieved by the Carrera GT supercar when it was launched.
I have to wonder how much of that is tire tech? Track surface improvements? Electronical nannies? It's hard to believe we've learned enough about suspension and aero in 15 years to give a 420hp/309tq/3120# car a better time than a 600hp/435tq/3050# car.

Would love for a Porsche test pilot to take a shot in a C-GT on today's track with modern Cup 2s. I don't see why it wouldn't best a .2 GT3 at least.
Old 07-10-2019 | 05:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have to wonder how much of that is tire tech? Track surface improvements?
The improvement in those 2 things alone is worth double-digit seconds, easily (maybe even tires alone would do that)...
Old 07-10-2019 | 05:49 PM
blackholescion
Pro

So what are the actual chances PTS opens/is available? I feel like we've heard this song and dance before on other cars where PTS magically opened up later on in production, though I'm not sure if those cases started with "no pts expected".
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:19 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I strongly disagree.
I'm sure that the new aero helps.... but you really need to put the 981 back on the Nordshleife with the same tires as the 718 in order to have a real "apples to apples" comparison.
As someone posted above, the increased horsepower only contributes to 3 seconds quicker.
Plus 1 here ^^
Here is a stock 981 GT4 did Nurburg in 7.30min back in 2015, tires would have been 1st generation N0 specs and on the old road surface.
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:32 PM
flatt6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion
So what are the actual chances PTS opens/is available? I feel like we've heard this song and dance before on other cars where PTS magically opened up later on in production, though I'm not sure if those cases started with "no pts expected".
Take this with a grain of salt, but my dealer on the east coast (that I have a deposit with) says PTS may likely open up before the end of the calendar year - likely before Miami Blue builds lock as those are showing first deliveries in May 2020.
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
Plus 1 here ^^
Here is a stock 981 GT4 did Nurburg in 7.30min back in 2015, tires would have been 1st generation N0 specs and on the old road surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvV6sz8s3ao
And that is BTG which adds ~25 sec to the total time. When PAG tests they run the complete lap.
Old 07-10-2019 | 06:46 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ExMB
And that is BTG which adds ~25 sec to the total time. When PAG tests they run the complete lap.
Oh yes, missed just one very small detail 😁
Old 07-10-2019 | 07:41 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I strongly disagree.
Is this what you strongly disagree about "The sum of all its small improvements adds up to quite large changes in lap times (more than just a tire or resurface)."? Or are you agreeing with my statement "I'm sure that the new aero helps"?

There are many changes to the 718 GT4 that add up to incremental gains in lap times. Tyres and track included. That was my point!

Here are only a couple of changes to the 718 GT4
- engine changes include an of increase of 35 hp and changes to torque profile
- aero increased by 25% or so without changes in drag coefficient
- changes in chassis
- changes in gear ratios (not confirmed but hinted)
- and many more

What percentage is tyres and track is conjecture (51% or 78%), Not sure exactly how much of Nordshleife was resurfaced in that time and how much degradation of the new surface has taken place. Track temperature etc. We can also examine the changes between the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 which also produced a 12 second improvement in lap time.

Bottom line is the 718 GT4 is a faster car by 12 seconds than the 981 GT4 (great car). Progress is progress. Just wait for the reviews/full reveal and see what the experts say.
Old 07-10-2019 | 07:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Bottom line is put the 981 GT4 on the same tires as the 718 GT4 and run them on NBR the same day with same conditions and you won't see 12 sec difference.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?