GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019 | 07:17 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

If you want apples to apples, throw 14k into your 981 and run the 718. Of course there will be an improvement..in all mechanical faucets, but so far they are minuscule. I for one will fall out of my chair if ANY of the press do not give anything but positive reviews, as that's their business when dealing with Porsche. But that price delta is high... and for those of us who are under strict technical control, we already know the answer.

For those in countries with loose tech regs... it might be a better deal. If for some reason my warranty gets dropped, it's going to be PDK 718 or 4.25L 981.
Old 07-11-2019 | 07:23 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
- That quicker time on the Nordschleife is due to new spec tires and a fresh asphalt resurfacing in 2018.
- The price increase in the U.S. is 17.3% including destination charge.
German market is 13% increase
Old 07-11-2019 | 07:49 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Im starting to think that there are 1 or 2 posters here that are so over the top with their praise of the 718 on the Nordschleife that I get the distinct feeling that they work in Porsche's marketing department.
As I was reading the previous posts, I was thinking the exact same thing. You're probably spot on.
Old 07-11-2019 | 07:55 AM
groundhog
Race Car

I think theres just a lot of sour grapes from some owners that didn't get what they wanted (4l GT3 engine) at a price they are prepared to pay - simple as that. . The performance gap and reasons why the gap exists are pretty obvious.

I remember Cayman owners always going on about under powered cars etc etc - now Porsche build a car with 420HP that is a clear step up from the 981 and can ring in sub - 7:30 and they still complain.

I very much doubt Porsche marketing posts on here although some dealers certainly do.

In terms of pricing Porsche strategy is to to target what the market will pay - if they see 17% in the US they will take it. They are a business.

If you want loads more power and mid engined go for a new C8 - alternatively if you want even more performance from Porsche pick up a used .2 GT3.

I don't think any of this is particularly hard if people are prepared to be flexible or are prepared to pay the entry fee - I look at it simply, where else are you going to get a light weight, nimble, sports car that revs to 8000rpm and is mid-engined?

Last edited by groundhog; 07-11-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2019 | 08:22 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
...I for one will fall out of my chair if ANY of the press do not give anything but positive reviews...
I think there are 3 implied negatives in that sentence but there may be 4; does this mean you think the press WILL or WILL NOT give positive reviews?
Old 07-11-2019 | 08:48 AM
GP Racing
Advanced

Originally Posted by groundhog
I think theres just a lot of sour grapes from some owners that didn't get what they wanted (4l GT3 engine) at a price they are prepared to pay - simple as that. . The performance gap and reasons why the gap exists are pretty obvious.

I remember Cayman owners always going on about under powered cars etc etc - now Porsche build a car with 420HP that is a clear step up from the 981 and can ring in sub - 7:30 and they still complain.

I very much doubt Porsche marketing posts on here although some dealers certainly do.

In terms of pricing Porsche strategy is to to target what the market will pay - if they see 17% in the US they will take it. They are a business.

If you want loads more power and mid engined go for a new C8 - alternatively if you want even more performance from Porsche pick up a used .2 GT3.
Agree. Seems to be a few upset people based on looking at a 0-100km/hr time perhaps. What were some of you expecting? This is a entry GT car. Razor sharp handling, huge stopping power, 420 hp and a ring time of 7.28. The 981 GT4 was only a beginning to see if the market appreciated such a car. Rave reviews followed and sold out in all markets. The successor is an exciting improvement from what I can see. Downside is that it is more expensive. More technical information will follow soon so we can all see what has been changed. A used .2 GT3 will still probably more expensive than a new 718 GT4.in some markets..
Old 07-11-2019 | 09:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I don’t think anyone was saying that 718 GT4 is bad — just that 981 GT4 may not be as bad as marketing is purporting it to be. It’s unfair and disingenuous to compare the times of two similar cars on different tires and different pavement.

Tires don’t count as a model improvement in my book. They are a consumable available to anyone to get in many choices, not an aftermarket mod.
Old 07-11-2019 | 09:37 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
I don’t think anyone was saying that 718 GT4 is bad — just that 981 GT4 may not be as bad as marketing is purporting it to be. It’s unfair and disingenuous to compare the times of two similar cars on different tires and different pavement.

Tires don’t count as a model improvement in my book. They are a consumable available to anyone to get in many choices, not an aftermarket mod.
I don't think anyone is saying the 981 GT4 is bad, its clearly not in fact quite the opposite its a great car thats has been improved on The only thing that stopped me buying a 718 GT4 was the absence of PDK - a must have for me personally. I was aware of this liklihood sometime ago hence I lucked out on a 991.2 GT3 RS. However, I would not have been disappointed by a 718 GT4 PDK.
Old 07-11-2019 | 09:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone is saying the 981 GT4 is bad, its clearly not in fact quite the opposite its a great car thats has been improved on The only thing that stopped me buying a 718 GT4 was the absence of PDK - a must have for me personally. I was aware of this liklihood sometime ago hence I lucked out on a 991.2 GT3 RS. However, I would not have been disappointed by a 718 GT4 PDK.
I used "bad" in the context of the discussion and the statement that it's 12 seconds (1.6sec/min) slower on N-ring. Sure, but on what tires and which N-ring? That's what "apples to apples" is referring to.

1.6sec/min could easily be the diff between a new and a half used, or the diff between Lap 5 and Lap 25 on the same tire.
Old 07-11-2019 | 09:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
I used "bad" in the context of the discussion and the statement that it's 12 seconds (1.6sec/min) slower on N-ring. Sure, but on what tires and which N-ring? That's what "apples to apples" is referring to.
The ring evolves, it is improved in some places and degraded in others - thats how it rolls. In terms of tires, I have not seen anything to suggest its getting anything other than MPSC2 N1s - in the dry the difference is small relative to the N0s - I have burnt though a lot of these tires and am ripping through N2s right now. I think if you did a break down it would be dominated by engine, aero and suspension - unless they surprise us and say the ring time was done on MPSC2 R N0 - which is incredibly unlikely.

Its great that Porsche make such a car and importantly use it as a framework for the Spyder - I hope a lot of enthusiasts try their first GT car or change up from another 981/718 or perhaps pick up a 718 GT4 instead of a base/S 992. Its a great option to choose if you want something different and yet precise, nimble and quick. Features such as the front splitter and rear diffuser indicate its purposeful, a real performance car not a hot air cruiser.

Theres a lot to like here
Old 07-11-2019 | 10:36 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grant I think a total of 919m were resurfaced for 2018 at Hatzenbach, Hohe Acht to Hegwigshoe (about 250m) and Brunnchen - basically three small sections. Obviously there are continuous maintenance programs and the like along with ongoing movement and improvement of barriers. Likewise other sections can become worn and lose grip/ surface stability etc.

and I believe there was a very significant difference between the 718 and 981 down the Dottinger Hohe

I really don't see much of a conspiracy
You’re missing the biggest change - the fastest corner on the track (Swedenkreuze) was totally re-profiled. Of course there’s no conspiracy, but the track is faster...

Old 07-11-2019 | 10:42 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I wonder how much of this discussion would be happening if the price delta was only $4-$5K USD....IMO, the pricing is what's fueling all of this and putting into question the improvements.
It's a better car, period...but is it worth it over a 981?...for some people the answer is NO and for others YES. Depends on the person and what they expect from the car.
Old 07-11-2019 | 10:47 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Grant - parts improve and parts degrade - this is continuous (this is not unusual) - we both know theres a goodly lick of performance difference WRT 981/718GT4 - if there are those that want to believe its the track, tires, weather, driver, act of god - so be it.

I simply look at the obvious (a) you can reach up inside the diffuser (b) theres a 35 HP difference (and commensurate torque difference at the top end) (c) theres a significant time difference round the ring according to Porsche.

Good for Porsche, looking forward to the industry reviews and new owner reviews and also wish the new owners well. They are getting something special.

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I wonder how much of this discussion would be happening if the price delta was only $4-$5K USD....IMO, the pricing is what's fueling all of this and putting into question the improvements.
It's a better car, period...but is it worth it over a 981?...for some people the answer is NO and for others YES. Depends on the person and what they expect from the car.
I have to say - I agree.
Old 07-11-2019 | 11:03 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

The ring evolves, it is improved in some places and degraded in others - thats how it rolls. In terms of tires, I have not seen anything to suggest its getting anything other than MPSC2 N1s - in the dry the difference is small relative to the N0s - I have burnt though a lot of these tires and am ripping through N2s right now. I think if you did a break down it would be dominated by engine, aero and suspension - unless they surprise us and say the ring time was done on MPSC2 R N0 - which is incredibly unlikely.

Its great that Porsche make such a car and importantly use it as a framework for the Spyder - I hope a lot of enthusiasts try their first GT car or change up from another 981/718 or perhaps pick up a 718 GT4 instead of a base/S 992. Its a great option to choose if you want something different and yet precise, nimble and quick. Features such as the front splitter and rear diffuser indicate its purposeful, a real performance car not a hot air cruiser.

Theres a lot to like here
last check on Michelin website, showed only GT3RS/GT2RS sizes in the R tire for "N" spec
Ferrari does have Pista sizing (K) in 245/35 and 305/30 in 20" rims, so it will be feasible to use those, but no "N" spec yet.
Old 07-11-2019 | 11:17 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The price difference isn't as much as it first appears. 85,700 is 981 + destination.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?