Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Bottom line is put the 981 GT4 on the same tires as the 718 GT4 and run them on NBR the same day with same conditions and you won't see 12 sec difference.
Probably, maybe? We may never know on this track. How much is tyres? A chassis is also tuned around its tyres. Many factors working together. History records 7.40 vs 7.28. When the 718 GT4 owners take possession of their cars we will see the changes in the real world at track days vs 981 GT4s. Now that will be interesting.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Fly by after fly by in this video of 718 GT4's. Probably some B roll footage from the press launch this week and not one spine tingling, rip roaring exhaust note amongst them At least the Miami blue is a looker... but I tend to like loud colours on GT cars.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
So what are the actual chances PTS opens/is available? I feel like we've heard this song and dance before on other cars where PTS magically opened up later on in production, though I'm not sure if those cases started with "no pts expected".
I asked and the response was I'd have to wait a very long time.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bausse9
That would be great, but nothing so far has indicated that there will be two specs of car, market dependent, and one sounding better than the other.

Wouldn’t also assume that if there are non-particulate filter cars that Porsche would ‘allow’ these to sound any different - it would undermine the particulate fitted cars.
Sounds logical but I expect it will just end up being one of the different country code parts to be spec'd in the build. Also in reality hardly any car from one country to another would not be compared directly on road and any customer review comparison would be treated as subjective. So cant see that being an issue.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

A partial new track surface will only yield faster times when it is bedded in and this takes time - the amount being dependent on many parameters including weather, usage and ashphalt mix.

Changes to straights do not make a large difference generally. Corners resurfaced can make an improvement however this can be reduced and in fact made worse by the transition to the old surface due to different levels of grip.

The dry grip levels between the MPSC2 N0 thru N2 are minimal at best - I have done many logged runs on N0 and N1 and would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the dry - likewise N2 on my RS which so far feel no different to N1 and still remain sketchy in the wet like N1. The N1 and N2 are clearly able to shed water better than the N0 - and it is this difference that is most significant between the tires.

Its abundantly clear the new engine is much stronger up top with increased torque and power here - 35HP is a good chunk with a warranty.

The aero package also looks very strong particularly the rear diffuser. The unit in the GT4 is much larger and deeper than the unit on my RS. Thus must contribute significant down force without adding drag.

Its hard to know what to make of the suspension package at this stage as figures aren't available - however the addition of more rose jointing will give the car a much more focussed feel and certainly remove any extraneous slop.

Looks like a great package to me and I'm pretty sure you can bank that time difference.

I suspect the car will get great reviews particularly if looked at through the lens of a genuinely track able road car built by the GT team with improvements made across the board.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by GP Racing
Probably, maybe? We may never know on this track. How much is tyres? A chassis is also tuned around its tyres. Many factors working together. History records 7.40 vs 7.28. When the 718 GT4 owners take possession of their cars we will see the changes in the real world at track days vs 981 GT4s. Now that will be interesting.
Only if those 718 owners also have a 981 and run it at the same track on the same day under the same conditions.

Originally Posted by groundhog
A partial new track surface will only yield faster times when it is bedded in and this takes time - the amount being dependent on many parameters including weather, usage and ashphalt mix.

Changes to straights do not make a large difference generally. Corners resurfaced can make an improvement however this can be reduced and in fact made worse by the transition to the old surface due to different levels of grip.

The dry grip levels between the MPSC2 N0 thru N2 are minimal at best - I have done many logged runs on N0 and N1 and would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the dry - likewise N2 on my RS which so far feel no different to N1 and still remain sketchy in the wet like N1. The N1 and N2 are clearly able to shed water better than the N0 - and it is this difference that is most significant between the tires.

Its abundantly clear the new engine is much stronger up top with increased torque and power here - 35HP is a good chunk with a warranty.

The aero package also looks very strong particularly the rear diffuser. The unit in the GT4 is much larger and deeper than the unit on my RS. Thus must contribute significant down force without adding drag.

Its hard to know what to make of the suspension package at this stage as figures aren't available - however the addition of more rose jointing will give the car a much more focussed feel and certainly remove any extraneous slop.

Looks like a great package to me and I'm pretty sure you can bank that time difference.

I suspect the car will get great reviews particularly if looked through the lens of a genuinely track able road car built by the GT team with improvements made across the board.
On a GT4 or a different car and on what track?

We are talking about NBR times and NOT on some shorter different track on a different car (RS in your case). Apples to apples please.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Im starting to think that there are 1 or 2 posters here that are so over the top with their praise of the 718 on the Nordschleife that I get the distinct feeling that they work in Porsche's marketing department.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Im starting to think that there are 1 or 2 posters here that are so over the top with their praise of the 718 on the Nordschleife that I get the distinct feeling that they work in Porsche's marketing department.
Kool-aid overdose?

Last edited by ExMB; 07-10-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

with increased power here - 35HP 29HP
Fixed it for you
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I get the feeling there are some on here that have done a lot of track time and can appreciate the improvements. There will be plenty of independent track tests to confirm this. It's always this way with a Porsche new model. So much so it's almost a law of nature 😀

Porsche have plenty of choice on offer from the GT dept - Spyder, Speedster, GT4, GT3, GT3 Touring, GT3 RS, GT2 RS. There is absolutely nothing stopping 981 GT4 owners moving into one of these models if they feel the need for more performance.

The simple reality is the 718 GT4 offers plenty of performance to those that know and or want to learn how to extract it.

A car car that rips round the ring in 7:28 is very quick. An improvement of close to 2s per minute achieved in typical GT department fashion through wholesale yet incremental change. The resultant being greater than the sum of the parts. That is a big improvement in anyone's language and it comes with a warranty 😀
Old 07-10-2019, 11:12 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by James88
Fixed it for you
420 PS - 385 PS = 35 PS fixed it for you

or

~415 BHP - ~380 BHP = 35 BHP
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

420 PS - 385 PS = 35 PS fixed it for you

or

~415 BHP - ~380 BHP = 35 BHP
Mmmmm 🤔🤔 now you've got me thinking, could have sworn it was 414 - 385.
Touche groundhog 👍
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the feeling there are some on here that have done a lot of track time and can appreciate the improvements. There will be plenty of independent track tests to confirm this. It's always this way with a Porsche new model. So much so it's almost a law of nature 😀

Porsche have plenty of choice on offer from the GT dept - Spyder, Speedster, GT4, GT3, GT3 Touring, GT3 RS, GT2 RS. There is absolutely nothing stopping 981 GT4 owners moving into one of these models if they feel the need for more performance.

The simple reality is the 718 GT4 offers plenty of performance to those that know and or want to learn how to extract it.

A car car that rips round the ring in 7:28 is very quick. An improvement of close to 2s per minute achieved in typical GT department fashion through wholesale yet incremental change. The resultant being greater than the sum of the parts. That is a big improvement in anyone's language and it comes with a warranty 😀
Lots of logic and facts in this post. The 718 GT4 is going to be an impressive upgrade on the 981 GT4 (amazing car). 7.28 is a great time. Combination of many improvements as previously posted. Wait for the independent reviews to come in.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,014 Likes on 2,836 Posts

The Ring didn’t just get fresh pavement - some of the treacherous sections were totally re-profiled to remove bumps and other hazards. It was faster from day one this season (doesn’t take long to put rubber down when there are many hundreds of cars lapping over the day...). And the German road construction is not comparable to US - it’s a much higher standard.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:29 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by GrantG
The Ring didn’t just get fresh pavement - some of the treacherous sections were totally re-profiled to remove bumps and other hazards. It was faster from day one this season (doesn’t take long to put rubber down when there are many hundreds of cars lapping over the day...). And the German road construction is not comparable to US - it’s a much higher standard.
Grant I think a total of 919m were resurfaced for 2018 at Hatzenbach, Hohe Acht to Hegwigshoe (about 250m) and Brunnchen - basically three small sections. Obviously there are continuous maintenance programs and the like along with ongoing movement and improvement of barriers. Likewise other sections can become worn and lose grip/ surface stability etc.

and I believe there was a very significant difference between the 718 and 981 down the Dottinger Hohe

I really don't see much of a conspiracy

Last edited by groundhog; 07-11-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?