Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The interior videos in from couple of pages ago sounded good, almost Mezger-y. Maybe Porsche found a way to port more of the engine/intake/exhaust noises into the cabin instead of outside due to the restrictive noise regulations? Personally, I don’t care much about how my car sounds to others as long as it sounds good to me inside.

I also prefer it that the new sound is more mechanical, less farty, and has got rid of the fake crackle and pop off-throttle noises.
The following 3 users liked this post by hf1:
fantom (07-09-2019), propulc (07-09-2019), wizee (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:16 PM
blipit
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^was that the carscoops "touring" feed from feb?
Yes, more recently spotted in May testing at the ring.

I suspect we will be see them again in the near future.

Originally Posted by jmartpr
All future 718 will probably share the same exhaust...just like it happened in the 981 and earlier Cayman.
Got to keep the cost down.....besides having a new exhaust that will work with the new GPFs
True, but these don't sound like 4-bangers.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:16 PM
goretexpretzels
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Journalist at the press release in Scotland says North America cars will not have particulate filter. Not sure how that affects noise and euro delivery customer- can you drive a new NA spec car there without a filter?

Originally Posted by emix75
I'm not really in the know about the engineering part, I was just repeating what other information I gathered on this forum. There were some posts on here and on the 991gt3 forum about the GPF issues and something related to back pressure, if I understood correctly the car will not function properly without the necessary back pressure that the GPF generates. I really hope you are right though, I'd remove the GPFs immediately if it will be possible without loosing the warranty on the car. We'll just have to wait and see what solutions tuners will come up with.

ANyway I've been listening to multiple videos of the 718 gt4 just to get a feel for the sound. I decided it is not exciting enough. 981 sounds a lot more dramatic.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by blipit
Yes, more recently spotted in May testing at the ring.

I suspect we will be see them again in the near future.

True, but these don't sound like 4-bangers.
Hey Box, those are some pretty big front calipers you got yourself there! GT3 size, maybe?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:44 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Hey Box, those are some pretty big front calipers you got yourself there! GT3 size, maybe?
These look like the standard PCCBs to me, not the GT4/GT3 410 mm units.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 130 Posts

These spy shots have been out for months. I support the rumor that it's a new model to be placed above the GTS, but below the GT4/Spyder. I just wonder if there is anything else it will feature, other than the 4.0 motor.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The interior videos in from couple of pages ago sounded good, almost Mezger-y. Maybe Porsche found a way to port more of the engine/intake/exhaust noises into the cabin instead of outside due to the restrictive noise regulations? Personally, I don’t care much about how my car sounds to others as long as it sounds good to me inside.

I also prefer it that the new sound is more mechanical, less farty, and has got rid of the fake crackle and pop off-throttle noises.
Spot on. You deserve a medal, sir!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
These spy shots have been out for months. I support the rumor that it's a new model to be placed above the GTS, but below the GT4/Spyder. I just wonder if there is anything else it will feature, other than the 4.0 motor.

So...a 4.0L, 8,000 RPM newly develop engine just for a GT (for the moment) product but without the center radiator? At least I can't see it on the top picture.
You are going to take the center piece of the new GT models and give it to a non GT model for less $$$?
I find it a bit hard to believe PAG will actually do that but we can wait and see.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I didn't know the new engine had cylinder deactivation. I must have missed this in the original press info.

A special innovation to reduce exhaust emissions and fuel consumption is the adaptive cylinder control. At engine speeds of between 1,600 and 3,000 rpm and a load request of up to a maximum torque of 100 Nm, it temporarily interrupts the injection process of one of the two engine banks, and the six-cylinder engine temporarily operates in three-cylinder mode. At constant load, the cylinder bank is changed every 20 seconds to ensure a uniform load and flow through the catalytic converters. With the exception of a slightly different sound profile, this switching back and forth goes unnoticed by the driver. The effect, however, is palpable: the adaptive cylinder control can reduce the CO2 emissions by around 11 grams per kilometre. It can be deactivated together with the start/stop function, which is featured for the first time in the 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
. . . I also prefer it that the new sound is more mechanical, less farty, and has got rid of the fake crackle and pop off-throttle noises.
Mechanical is good.
High pitch howl is good.
Farty.... like a Turbo S is not good.

PS. The crackle and off-throttle "pops" can be largely eliminated by a Soul X-Pipe, which relieves a lot of the back-pressure that is caused by the OEM tail-pipe set up.
I installed this on my stock exhaust GT4 and the X-Pipe dramatically removed the pops and crackle.
Kind of miss it.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by goretexpretzels
Journalist at the press release in Scotland says North America cars will not have particulate filter. Not sure how that affects noise and euro delivery customer- can you drive a new NA spec car there without a filter?
I think the Automobile review of the new Speedster said it also has the GPFs, which will be replaced on US cars by baffles providing similar back pressure.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Mechanical is good.
High pitch howl is good.
Farty.... like a Turbo S is not good.

PS. The crackle and off-throttle "pops" can be largely eliminated by a Soul X-Pipe, which relieves a lot of the back-pressure that is caused by the OEM tail-pipe set up.
I installed this on my stock exhaust GT4 and the X-Pipe dramatically removed the pops and crackle.
Kind of miss it.
Yes l think l'd miss it as well if it disappeared.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:43 PM
rob_
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Yes l think l'd miss it as well if it disappeared.
I definitely would.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by works_team
Great videos, great sound (at least from inside the car, I find it more difficult to judge from outside)!

I've seen here and there that the changes to the car are not material enough while it has "gained a lot of weight". I wanted to check for myself if that was true with the data we have today, while waiting for the reviews to come in. Tell me what you think:

- 0% more max torque
- 2% more weight
- 2.50% more max rpm
- 2.50% quicker on the Nordschleife (tbc)
- 2.70% more rpm at max horsepower
- 3% more max speed
- 5.25% more engine capacity
- 7% more expensive (NB : based on continental EU base price, adjusted for inflation)
- 9.10% more horsepower
- 13.33% more rpm at max torque
- 44% longer max torque band
- 50 % more downforce
- That quicker time on the Nordschleife is due to new spec tires and a fresh asphalt resurfacing in 2018.
- The price increase in the U.S. is 17.3% including destination charge.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by goretexpretzels
Euro Delivery cars are always built in the spec of the market where they will return. Always been this way - I think due to the short-term nature of the program that it is exempt from the Euro emissions standards.
The following users liked this post:
goretexpretzels (07-09-2019)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?