Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 11:14 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

My freeze date is approaching and I am torn between keeping 7.2kw charger or not. The only reason to remove it is potentially to avoid CEL if that 7.2kw charger turn out to be a factor. I will only charge it overnight so not a critical option just nice to have. What would you guys recommend?
Old 09-01-2021, 01:19 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

get the car the way you want it - 7.2 is great - and this is hopefully not a permanent situation - worse case you get teh CEL’s and you work your way into Lemon territory and can extract significant accommodations from Porsche beyond your purchase price.

the usefulness of the 7.2 kW charger will outlast any short term pain

AND our data is incomplete regarding _IF_ the 7.2 kW charger _IS_ the factor - there is no guarantee 7.2 kW _IS_ the factor - our data is incomplete and sparse - it’s just an internet theory - no one from Porsche has mentioned/suggested/rumored/winked that this is the case - you may get the 3.6 kW and STILL have CEL’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Lphiesmacks10 (09-01-2021), Miggytosh (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 01:51 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

software’s hard for everyone

https://www.buglemiami.com/bentley-i...rect-software/
Old 09-02-2021, 01:04 PM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, I was wondering if your friend who went the lemon route used an attorney or did they go straight to Porsche. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:49 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
grr grr grr

CEL (Check Engine Light)
OBDII reader says code U0122 - Lost Communications With Vehicle Dynamics Control Module

will be fixed under warranty - but sheesh - less than 1000 miles and the car is already throwing codes…

guess we'll have a service appointment next week {sigh}

7/17/2021 Update
  • workaround? don’t externally charge your EV until Porsche has a software fix - this suggested work around currently being tested by myself stay tuned
  • known issue - Porsche claims future software will resolve this issue
  • fleetwide issue - not unique to your vehicle
  • sporadic - no known method to cause it
  • safe to ignore if you can determine it’s this code
  • we’re looking for data on this issue from other owners on this trhead - turbo only issue? or non-Turbo also?
  • very very unlikely your dealer can ‘fix” this issue unless it is really a problem with the vehicle dynamics module
  • explanations later in this thread
  • don’t like your new ‘21 Turbo S eHybrid - great this is your get out of jail free card! Porsche will most likley have to buy the car back if you encounter this issue and they can’t fix it - and to date no fix is deployed.
Does the workaround work? I encountered same issue with same code (verified in OBD) on my Turbo S E-Hybrid with 78 miles! Will take it in for diagnosis. But until then wonder if I should leave it unplugged to avoid CEL from coming back on.

Looks like you and I are on the same gremlin boat Dave. Know you from Taycan forums and seeing the same 12v issues on our Taycans as well
Old 09-07-2021, 10:51 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew_W
Will keep you posted as to what happens...
Any update from your dealer visit?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:50 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crazycanucck
Does the workaround work? I encountered same issue with same code (verified in OBD) on my Turbo S E-Hybrid with 78 miles! Will take it in for diagnosis. But until then wonder if I should leave it unplugged to avoid CEL from coming back on.

Looks like you and I are on the same gremlin boat Dave. Know you from Taycan forums and seeing the same 12v issues on our Taycans as well
I do not believe the work around has any effect - I believe porsche is grasping at straws - CEL’s continue to appear when not charging, and recently I’ve been charging a lot and no CEL’s - so this is a purely random race condition - it’s a software problem - and I believe it’s a pointless CEL that should not occur - but we’ll have to wait for a software update.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:54 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

I do not believe the work around has any effect - I believe porsche is grasping at straws - CEL’s continue to appear when not charging, and recently I’ve been charging a lot and no CEL’s - so this is a purely random race condition - it’s a software problem - and I believe it’s a pointless CEL that should not occur - but we’ll have to wait for a software update.
Cool thanks. What I did notice is the CEL takes a while to turn off when starting the car ignition (not engine) along with PCM loading and the assistance systems booting up. Race condition is a good theory. Whenever I saw the CEL stay on is when I start the car quickly; foot on brake and turn key all the way to start engine.

wonder if that’s common with you as well. I’m going to test consistently by turning key to ignition and waiting until all systems boot up then start engine. See if it helps with the software glitch.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:10 AM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been out of town but received mine back today. Here is what the paperwork shows...i am expecting the CEL to return before long.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:13 AM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew_W
I have been out of town but received mine back today. Here is what the paperwork shows...i am expecting the CEL to return before long.
LOL. Gotta hand it to them for honesty. Alright no better than what I’m doing with my OBD then. I’ll still take my car in so Porsche has the data with number of ppl seeing this issue.

Sigh waiting on that recall campaign I guess. that’s two $200k cars in a row where it had issues on delivery.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:28 AM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Curious as to what the VAL report shows and if they send that to Porsche.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:47 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Has anyone reported this to NHTSA? When a vehicle doesn't pass state inspection (with CEL on), it is a safety issue. I don't know what Porsche is up to as far as fixing the problem but I don't feel there's an urgency on their end to fix this given how long this has been going on and the answers dealers give based on what I have read on this thread. NHTSA could be another stick for Porsche to get their act together and come up with a permanent fix. Here's the link to report it to NHTSA, the more reports they get, more pressure it'd put on Porsche as there will be an NHTSA investigation not just customer complaining about intermittent issue:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

The following users liked this post:
Lphiesmacks10 (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:42 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

interesting thought from a friend of mine - wondering if we can correlate the CEL failures and the charging theory with eHybrids with 3.6 kW vs. 7.2 kW chargers

anyone have failures with the 3.6 kW chargers? all the Turbos are 7.2 kW standard - so I’m wondering if the CEL failures are fewer with standard eHybrids because fewer of them are optioned with the 7.2 kW charger…

just something to think about.

I’d love any data from the internet on this.
I've been planning to order a Cayenne E-Hybrid (V6) as a bridge between my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and getting a BEV in a few years. I do lots of cross-country road trips and don't want to rely on the current weak public-charging infrastructure. I'll probably go with the default in-car charger, as I don't need fast charging at home like you do. But this discussion (and the ongoing chip/parts-supply problem) has me planning to wait until MY2023 E-Hybrids are in production before ordering. And I like the fact that the new battery pack is larger (18 kWh vs. 14 kWh); did this happen for MY2021 Cayenne E-Hybrids or MY2022 versions?

So the CEL message can't be dismissed with a push of the steering-wheel button, like lots of other messages can be dismissed (like "it's time for your servicing", "ACC is unavailable", etc.)?

Last edited by cometguy; 09-08-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:45 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
I've been planning to order a Cayenne E-Hybrid (V6) as a bridge between my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and getting a BEV in a few years. I do lots of cross-country road trips and don't want to rely on the current weak public-charging infrastructure. I'll probably go with the default in-car charger, as I don't need fast charging at home like you do. But this discussion (and the ongoing chip/parts-supply problem) has me planning to wait until MY2023 E-Hybrids are in production before ordering. And I like the fact that the new battery pack is larger (18 kWh vs. 14 kWh); did this happen for MY2021 Cayenne E-Hybrids or MY2022 versions?

So the CEL message can't be dismissed with a push of the steering-wheel button, like lots of other messages can be dismissed (like "it's time for your servicing", "ACC is unavailable", etc.)?
battery upgrade happened in MY'21 - MY'22 so far has same - no announcements for battery size for MY'23

the CEL that shows up currently in my vehicle does not go away without a dealer visit or your own OBDII reader/fixer…

what I'm being told is that the particular problem I'm having CEL U0122 - is expected to happen sporadically on all MY'21/MY'22 eHybrids until Porsche Germany releases a software fix…I have no personal way to verify the truth of that statement as I lack access to Porsche's data on this matter.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:20 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

FWIW the car was drawing ~30.7 amps out of my 240v. That puts it ~7.3kWh. Not sure if that is putting too much load on the 7.2kWh onboard charger and causing the issue. The 240 and mobile connect setup is for my Taycan.

I will also add I walked in on the car's blower fan running at max capacity when charging. Definitely trying to cool the battery down.

Last edited by crazycanucck; 09-08-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne