Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 05:04 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cl0r0x70
I have a pending vehicle inspection in May. It's my understanding -- confirmed by Porsche service manager -- that the CEL will present a problem in my state (PA.)

I called Porsche, and now have a case number. Curious to hear what they come back with, given that my $200k vehicle will be literally illegal to drive if I can't pass inspection.

Has anyone else been able to pass inspection despite this CEL issue?
You could be looking at a buyback. If Porsche can't repair the condition so that it doesn't throw CEL codes, the car would seem to be in violation of the emissions certification, so it can't be driven on public highways... You might check the lemon laws of the state where you took retail delivery of the car, but it isn't looking good.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:43 PM
cl0r0x70
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
since purchase in April of 2021…I considered lemoning hte car, but ultimately getting a replacement and equivalent vehicle was not a clear option - in the mean time Porsche has provide generous consideration in exchange for me patiently waiting for the software update - utlimately it’s a joke this is an issue and confirms my bias that all car manufactures suck, and if you believe any of them are actually better than another you’re simply biased or not paying attention - but so far I’ve driven the car, love the car, tolerate the CEL until it’s fixed and got some meaningful accommodations from Porsche.

it will be better when this problem is fixed for the fleet.
How are you going to pass inspection? Or are you going to drive it illegally?
Old 03-17-2022, 11:33 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,933 Posts

not sure what inspection you're referring to - also the code can be cleared and it doesn't' occur that much - Porsche is still planing to fix it so I'm told.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:39 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by cl0r0x70
I have a pending vehicle inspection in May. It's my understanding -- confirmed by Porsche service manager -- that the CEL will present a problem in my state (PA.)

I called Porsche, and now have a case number. Curious to hear what they come back with, given that my $200k vehicle will be literally illegal to drive if I can't pass inspection.

Has anyone else been able to pass inspection despite this CEL issue?
Maybe Porsche can provide you with a letter indicating the CEL is a result of a software glitch related to the charging port/system and is not related to the emissions system?
Old 03-25-2022, 01:10 PM
JArnald
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
not sure what inspection you're referring to - also the code can be cleared and it doesn't' occur that much - Porsche is still planing to fix it so I'm told.
Do you have any more specifics about the timing of the fix?

I take delivery of our 2022 e-hybrid Monday.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:21 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JArnald

I think in an earlier post, someone said their dealer told them it should be fixed in 2022 models. I took delivery of a 2022 in October and I have not experienced the same CEL code that prompted this thread.

The only CELs I've seen is after the car died a few times and had to be jumped. Those cleared themselves after a couple of restarts.
The 12V battery died a few times after leaving the charger plugged in for an extended period of time. I've brought the car into the dealer already and they have not found any issues with the 12V lithium battery or the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect. So I've been making sure to unplug the car after it's fully charged.
The following users liked this post:
JArnald (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 05:20 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Please post your impressions of your E-Hybrid when you can...
Old 03-25-2022, 05:22 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
I think in an earlier post, someone said their dealer told them it should be fixed in 2022 models. I took delivery of a 2022 in October and I have not experienced the same CEL code that prompted this thread.

The only CELs I've seen is after the car died a few times and had to be jumped. Those cleared themselves after a couple of restarts.
The 12V battery died a few times after leaving the charger plugged in for an extended period of time. I've brought the car into the dealer already and they have not found any issues with the 12V lithium battery or the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect. So I've been making sure to unplug the car after it's fully charged.
Why did your car die "a few times"?? What was the "extended period of time" in which it was plugged in?
What onboard charger do you have (3.6 or 7.2 kW), and do you typically charge at Level 1 or Level 2?
Old 03-26-2022, 10:41 AM
Maddie288
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

So, I am now 1 year into my e-hybrid coupe and the CEL is still on. Mine cannot be cleared. Dealer has tried several times. Still no fix, I continue to follow up with my Service Manager as well as my contact at PCNA. What my service manager told me was that Porsche is having issues with NTSB or some other regulatory board given Diesel Gate. Who knows. I am seriously considering lemoning mine and getting a 22. PCNA has told me I can take that action at anytime bc the issue has voided the warranty. However, I wanted to see if the issue has truly been resolved in the 22's as I have been told. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:03 AM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Originally Posted by cometguy
Why did your car die "a few times"?? What was the "extended period of time" in which it was plugged in?
What onboard charger do you have (3.6 or 7.2 kW), and do you typically charge at Level 1 or Level 2?
onboard charger is 7.2kw and the outlet is a 240V.

Not exactly sure what caused the car to die. All I know is it has happened when leaving the car plugged in between 17 - 36hrs. And when I say die, I mean the 12V battery went into protection mode, so I couldn't even unlock the car with the fob and the car would not start. As soon as I connected the jumper cables, even without starting the donor car, the Cayenne's electrical system came back on.

It almost sounds like the issue that Taycans were having with their 12V batteries dying while plugged into a charger.

Has not happened in a few weeks, so I think that unplugging it once it's charged and using the charging timer is working.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:40 AM
JArnald
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
onboard charger is 7.2kw and the outlet is a 240V.

Not exactly sure what caused the car to die. All I know is it has happened when leaving the car plugged in between 17 - 36hrs. And when I say die, I mean the 12V battery went into protection mode, so I couldn't even unlock the car with the fob and the car would not start. As soon as I connected the jumper cables, even without starting the donor car, the Cayenne's electrical system came back on.

It almost sounds like the issue that Taycans were having with their 12V batteries dying while plugged into a charger.

Has not happened in a few weeks, so I think that unplugging it once it's charged and using the charging timer is working.
OK, you have peaked my curiosity.
Why would one leave a car plugged in between 17 - 36 hrs.?

With a level 2 charger, 240V outlet, onboard charger 7.2kw, I envisage 2 hour pops to bring it back full.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:42 AM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddie288
So, I am now 1 year into my e-hybrid coupe and the CEL is still on. Mine cannot be cleared. Dealer has tried several times. Still no fix, I continue to follow up with my Service Manager as well as my contact at PCNA. What my service manager told me was that Porsche is having issues with NTSB or some other regulatory board given Diesel Gate. Who knows. I am seriously considering lemoning mine and getting a 22. PCNA has told me I can take that action at anytime bc the issue has voided the warranty. However, I wanted to see if the issue has truly been resolved in the 22's as I have been told. Any input would be appreciated.
I have been on constant contact with PCNA and asked them for a buy-back. They replied saying it’s escalated and will respond in 10-15 days with options.

same issue as you. Cannot be cleared. I also have documentation from dealership that says there is no fix and issue cannot be cleared. So this is a clear lemon situation. The void warranty is news to me. I had other things that were broken fixed under warranty so not sure if that is true.

very frustrating. Love the car otherwise. Issue is not fixed with ‘22.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:47 AM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycanucck
I have been on constant contact with PCNA and asked them for a buy-back. They replied saying it’s escalated and will respond in 10-15 days with options.

same issue as you. Cannot be cleared. I also have documentation from dealership that says there is no fix and issue cannot be cleared. So this is a clear lemon situation. The void warranty is news to me. I had other things that were broken fixed under warranty so not sure if that is true.

very frustrating. Love the car otherwise. Issue is not fixed with ‘22.
is your car ‘22? My dealer insists it is solved for 22
The following users liked this post:
JArnald (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:52 AM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
is your car ‘22? My dealer insists it is solved for 22
Nope ‘21. I should be clear I’m saying not solved due to other member’s ‘22 reports in this thread.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:00 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

OK, you have peaked my curiosity.
Why would one leave a car plugged in between 17 - 36 hrs.?

With a level 2 charger, 240V outlet, onboard charger 7.2kw, I envisage 2 hour pops to bring it back full.
You're supposed to be able to leave it plugged in with no issues, it's recommended that if you're not going to be driving the car for a long time, say a month, to leave it plugged in. The charger will trickle charge both the high voltage E-Power battery and the 12V lithium battery.

In my case, I was leaving it plugged in after charging due to laziness and to trickle charge the 12V battery.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne