Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 04:22 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycanucck
FWIW the car was drawing ~30.7 amps out of my 240v. That puts it ~7.3kWh. Not sure if that is putting too much load on the 7.2kWh onboard charger and causing the issue.
I don't have my car yet (its an order) but asked my Porsche advisor about this issue. He mentioned they have seen an issue with temperature sensor between charger and EV powertrain that had to be replace and was throwing CEL. Not sure if its related but overheating or sensitivity of sensor could be related.
The following users liked this post:
crazycanucck (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 04:40 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsrs
I don't have my car yet (its an order) but asked my Porsche advisor about this issue. He mentioned they have seen an issue with temperature sensor between charger and EV powertrain that had to be replace and was throwing CEL. Not sure if its related but overheating or sensitivity of sensor could be related.
Just finished charging to full. CEL came back on immediately as I started - same code. Note, I charged it 3/4 full yesterday and drove 60+ miles on it and CEL didn't occur. I will keep documenting my charge cycles to see if there's a pattern here.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:14 PM
Lphiesmacks10
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

EV Powertrain replacement sounds pretty serious! Wonder if that would be covered under the eight year warranty.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:15 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Originally Posted by Lphiesmacks10
EV Powertrain replacement sounds pretty serious! Wonder if that would be covered under the eight year warranty.
Not power train replacement, just a temperature sensor
Old 09-08-2021, 06:15 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

FWIW the car was drawing ~30.7 amps out of my 240v. That puts it ~7.3kWh. Not sure if that is putting too much load on the 7.2kWh onboard charger and causing the issue. The 240 and mobile connect setup is for my Taycan.

I will also add I walked in on the car's blower fan running at max capacity when charging. Definitely trying to cool the battery down.
240 volts * 30 amps = 7,200 watts or 7.2 kW

the external EVSE (EVSE does not "push" power into the vehicle - the vehicle's onboard charger "pulls" voltage/amps into the car) the external charger can NOT overload the vehicle's in car charger…it doesn't work way - the car pulls the power it can handle from the external source…the Cayenne's charger pulls the power it's rated to pull based on what the external EVSE advertises - your Taycan's EVSE is advertising 40 amps - the Cayenne is saying great I only need 30 - so it pulls 30 amps (or 7.2 kW).

the external EVSE is simply an on/off switch that lets power flow - it does not regulate power - the onboard charger in the car is what determines "how much" power flows and tells the external EVSE to "open the taps and let it flow"…

this posting if you're interesting has a deep discussion of what an EVSE actually is…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...49/#post-71206

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-08-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:23 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

that would be a separate CEL code - but is unrelated to the U1022 codes I've been tracking with my '21 Cayenne and other's have experienced…

my assessment in owning a '21 Cayenne since April of 2021 and 5100 miles is this is a very very CEL happy vehicle - when in doubt throw up a CEL code so that the owner visits the dealer A LOT - so that Porsche can have maximum opportunity to market to these customers - it throws a lot of CEL's for a lot of different reasons…

the U1022 code is just one that in particular porsche is claiming they may fix in software at some future date.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

these threads have some reasonably deep treatments and discussions of EVSE's and preparing for the future EV ownership home charging scenarios - they been well received and are also excellent if you're suffering from insomnia…

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1...-charging.html
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-….2343/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...64/#post-17005

aloktayi (01-02-2023)
Old 09-08-2021, 09:38 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Just finished charging to full. CEL came back on immediately as I started - same code. Note, I charged it 3/4 full yesterday and drove 60+ miles on it and CEL didn't occur. I will keep documenting my charge cycles to see if there's a pattern here.
Can confirm for me at least repro is in charging. Unplugged from full charge, U0122 CEL thrown on start and I cleared manually with OBD. Drove around for 20 miles, stopped and started car no CEL at all. Came home, plugged in and charged again. Turned vehicle on and CEL.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Can confirm for me at least repro is in charging. Unplugged from full charge, U0122 CEL thrown on start and I cleared manually with OBD. Drove around for 20 miles, stopped and started car no CEL at all. Came home, plugged in and charged again. Turned vehicle on and CEL.
scratch. @daveo4porsche is right. CEL comes on randomly. Happening while I was out without charging - same code.

gonna keep it on and take it to dealership next Friday. Will report back what they find.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:42 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Is anyone aware of similar CEL problems with Panamera? Given that E-powertrains are very similar, you'd think they should have similar issues. I searched the forum but nothing as serious as this thread is there
Old 09-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Maddie288
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Wanted to share an update on the CEL issue we have been experiencing. My Porsche Service Manager called to tell me the '22 MY has been cleared of the issue. He said they have new software which is currently in testing for the '21 MY. He did not give me a date it would be available for updating my car, but he seemed to feel it was close (weeks not months). So, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
The following 4 users liked this post by Maddie288:
daveo4porsche (09-11-2021), George from MD (09-11-2021), Lphiesmacks10 (09-11-2021), Miggytosh (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 03:43 PM
mattsrs
Pro

Originally Posted by Maddie288
Wanted to share an update on the CEL issue we have been experiencing. My Porsche Service Manager called to tell me the '22 MY has been cleared of the issue. He said they have new software which is currently in testing for the '21 MY. He did not give me a date it would be available for updating my car, but he seemed to feel it was close (weeks not months). So, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Wow that's a relief for MY22 orders. Thanks for sharing
daveo4porsche (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 05:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maddie288
thank you for the update @Maddie288 - I’m crossing my fingers that this is all true - and congrats to anyone ordering a MY’22 - this will be a nice fix once it lands.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:25 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

scratch. @daveo4porsche is right. CEL comes on randomly. Happening while I was out without charging - same code.

gonna keep it on and take it to dealership next Friday. Will report back what they find.

Back from service. Oddly enough for me, the CEL went away on its own just before the service appointment so they couldn't real time debug. However, the faults were all stored on the car and they pulled logs from that.

Good and bad news.

Good news is the technician was able to find out where the fault was coming from. It was throwing from the locking mechanism in the charger. I've circled image below where that locking mechanism is. I was told normally it would show a "locking or charging error" but in this case the logs show the component was trying repeatedly to communicate with the HV pack control unit then finally quit and threw a CEL. Hence that "Communication" related code I've been seeing. They tried reproducing the issue multiple times but couldn't. Car was safe to drive otherwise and keep an eye on it if it occurs again.

Bad news. No definitive repro so chances are it could happen again.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:20 PM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

U0122 CEL is back along with P0606. My OBDII module shows 279.62 miles since DTC was cleared. Dealer said they are going to reach out to Porsche now...So basically 7 days later, the CEL popped back up.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne