Sponsored By:

GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 12:54 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
local dealer service escalated to Porsche NA tech support today - analysis of the 2nd code is it’s completely different than the first code - new code is uncommon enough that Porsche NA is having to ask Porsche Germany what it means - it’s not a common diagnostic code or one that has come up in the past from the Cayenne fleet so no one in North America has the textual description as to what it means - we’ll have that answer by tuesday or Wed this week hopefully - random codes with no clear diagnostic steps this car is looking more and more like an actual Lemon. So far nothing on the car can be identified that needs to be fixed/changed to make the codes go away.
30 days total time in the shop is looking like it will come up faster than 4 failed repair attempts...
Old 05-06-2021, 01:02 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, it'll make a good story over cocktails in a few years.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by icemang
Well, it'll make a good story over cocktails in a few years.
Speaking from personal experience - you are just glad when it is all over and the lemon is out of your life.

CA has one of the more consumer-friendly lemon laws in the U.S. and the 30 days total time in the shop or 4 failed repair attempts is the definition of frustration. Up to the second failed repair attempt, I was hoping the car would be able to be repaired. At the third time in the shop for the same failed repair, I was basically done with the car and hoping for a fourth failure - I knew the car wasn't going to be able to be repaired, and it was just a matter of checking the box for either 30 days total time in the shop or 4 failed repair attempts.
The following 2 users liked this post by aCayenneFan:
Booth9999 (06-30-2021), daveo4porsche (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 01:19 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I’m calm and confident this will resolve itself - 1st world problems - and it will either be fixed or it won’t - either way I should come out ok due to lemon law support - in the grand scheme of things there are worse problems to have, but still disappointing.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Fahrfun (05-18-2021), jrharr32 (09-09-2021), Russian Mafia (06-30-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 05:54 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

I’m calm and confident this will resolve itself - 1st world problems - and it will either be fixed or it won’t - either way I should come out ok due to lemon law support - in the grand scheme of things there are worse problems to have, but still disappointing.
Out of curiosity, if the issue can't be resolved within the 30 days total time in the shop timeframe, have you considered what your replacement ride will be?
Old 05-09-2021, 07:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

consulting with the wife on replacement -but most likely another Cayenne - it's the best choice for our wants and needs - I'm willing to spot Porsche a mulligan because I know they normally produce high quality vehicles - I feel this is exactly what the lemon law is for. Porsche will get another shot at my money.

also the structural dissatisfaction with any other choice will be quite high…my wife an I are quite spoiled

Structural dissatisfaction: Returning to circumstances that once pleased you, after having experienced a more thrilling or opulent way of life, and finding that you can no longer tolerate them.”

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-09-2021 at 07:12 PM.
icemang (05-09-2021), Miggytosh (05-09-2021), Vapordan (10-30-2022)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:08 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

consulting with the wife on replacement -but most likely another Cayenne - it's the best choice for our wants and needs - I'm willing to spot Porsche a mulligan because I know they normally produce high quality vehicles - I feel this is exactly what the lemon law is for. Porsche will get another shot at my money.
Well, if you are inclined to give Porsche a mulligan, you should have some great negotiating room - a minimum demand that they should meet is you keep the lemon after it has been fixed until you get your replacement Cayenne. They should also give you a priority build allocation - none of the BS about having to find an available allocation...

also the structural dissatisfaction with any other choice will be quite high…my wife an I are quite spoiled
Don't tell Porsche about your structural dissatisfaction... Let them know you are giving serious consideration to a new Tesla X, or maybe you are thinking about going completely off the reservation... have you looked at a Bentley? They need to be made aware of the circumstance that you have options that do not include Porsche.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by aCayenneFan:
daveo4porsche (05-10-2021), Needsdecaf (05-13-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 12:51 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

progress today - looks like this is a “known” issue - and is affecting more than just my unit - Porsche is aware of the techincal faults and working on a fix - it is apparently a software fix but ETA for the fix is elusive - we are negotiating with Porsche NA for appropriate accomodation given that the vehicle will be “out of service” for quite some time…if they come through with what is discussed I will be a grumpy but satisfied Porsche customer.

moral of the story more and more these vehicles are software machines along side mechanicals - Porsche’s 100’s of years of perfecting “mechanical and precision watch maker” skills has served them well to date - but it appears they will now also have to grow a world class complex systems software skill set, and they are not quite there yet…but realize they are behind - ask people who’s Taycan’s were bricked with the latest factory software update, and effective and meaningful OTA is MIA for a while it appears while Porsche learns some lessons.

time will tell if they can evolve to do software as well as they do mechanicals.

but my beast will be “out of comission” for some time (along with others world wide) suffering the same faults - but will eventually be fixed and returned to me. They will of course honor a CA lemon law (they have to) but honestly not sure what I’d do with the money to replace the vehicle - and this one will be fixed before Porsche could deliver a new one (which presumeably would have the same faulty software).

I’ll update when I have more - but probably not for a while - it will be status quo for a bit…

in addition to any negotiated consideration from Porsche we are flogging a base but nicely optioned 2020 Cayenne (vent seats, but not ACC or air suspesion - so a nice combination of “options” but some of the nicer ones are missing) - so far I’ve put 1,800 miles on the loaner (of it’s 3000 mile history) and I can with 100% certainty you WANT the air suspension - I expect to a put a LOT of miles on the loaner and at this point I’m focusing on the fact that this is 100% a 1st world problem and reminding myself daily it’s not my vehicle accruing these miles

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-18-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:10 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

this is what i miss from my build as compared to the loaner in order of pain & suffering:
  1. air suspension
  2. V8 + EV motor
  3. ACC
  4. ALK
  5. sports exhuast
  6. full leather trim interior
  7. 14 way seats w/massage
  8. HUD
  9. wireless phone compartment
  10. Rear Axel Steering (turning radius)
  11. Full surround view for parking
  12. compass/altimeter
  13. carbon fiber steering wheel
  14. cargo management system
  15. kids miss the rear window shades
  16. heated steering wheel
  17. PDCC
What I don’t miss that _IS_ on my build for the “broken” car
  1. PCCB’s - it makes _NO_ difference in any non-track driving situation - really honestly there is NO functional point to these on this vehicle
  2. Full InnoDrive
  3. 4 zone climate control
I’m not goign to comment on “cosmetics” - I’m focusing on “functional” features missing - we don’t like the color of our loaner build (exterior or interior) but it’s comfortable and nicely optioned for a loaner (vent. seats good for spring/summer road trips)
Old 05-18-2021, 01:23 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

progress today - looks like this is a “known” issue - and is affecting more than just my unit - Porsche is aware of the techincal faults and working on a fix - it is apparently a software fix but ETA for the fix is elusive - we are negotiating with Porsche NA for appropriate accomodation given that the vehicle will be “out of service” for quite some time…if they come through with what is discussed I will be a grumpy but satisfied Porsche customer.
I hope the 'accommodation' you are receiving from Porsche recognizes the reduction in value you are experiencing due to your car sitting in the shop. This is no different from a car that sits on the lot unsold - when the new model year comes out, the 'old' car magically loses value.

moral of the story more and more these vehicles are software machines along side mechanicals - Porsche’s 100’s of years of perfecting “mechanical and precision watch maker” skills has served them well to date - but it appears they will now also have to grow a world class complex systems software skill set, and they are not quite there yet…but realize they are behind - ask people who’s Taycan’s were bricked with the latest factory software update, and effective and meaningful OTA is MIA for a while it appears while Porsche learns some lessons.

time will tell if they can evolve to do software as well as they do mechanicals.
Soo true. Cars aren't what they once were. Now they are a network of computers on wheels. If Porsche can't get ahead of the challenge of delivering production quality software, they will rapidly become an also-ran.

but my beast will be “out of comission” for some time (along with others world wide) suffering the same faults - but will eventually be fixed and returned to me. They will of course honor a CA lemon law (they have to) but honestly not sure what I’d do with the money to replace the vehicle - and this one will be fixed before Porsche could deliver a new one (which presumeably would have the same faulty software).
Interesting how Porsche is trying to use the 'you will still have a problem if you swap your lemon for a replacement car that likely will still be a lemon...' ploy to keep you from pulling the trigger on a buy-back.

I’ll update when I have more - but probably not for a while - it will be status quo for a bit…
Sounds like it will be quite a while. Not sure I would want to place an order for a hybrid Cayenne at this point.

in addition to any negotiated consideration from Porsche we are flogging a base but nicely optioned 2020 Cayenne (vent seats, but not ACC or air suspesion - so a nice combination of “options” but some of the nicer ones are missing) - so far I’ve put 1,800 miles on the loaner (of it’s 3000 mile history) and I can with 100% certainty you WANT the air suspension - I expect to a put a LOT of miles on the loaner and at this point I’m focusing on the fact that this is 100% a 1st world problem and reminding myself daily it’s not my vehicle accruing these miles
I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:31 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Interesting how Porsche is trying to use the 'you will still have a problem if you swap your lemon for a replacement car that likely will still be a lemon...' ploy to keep you from pulling the trigger on a buy-back.
the consideration I’m requesting from Porsche is substantial and takes all factors into consideration - if they come through I’ll be happy - otherwise they have just bought a Cayenne back with a big “lemon” permanently attached to the vehicle title.

the analysis is mine - TurboS eHybrids are a very very low volume production product/allocation - it’s my analysis that they can’t product these cars with out this fault cause it’s the same software in every vehicle - I received confirmation it’s a software problem - but no clarity as to if it’s all newer eHybrids or just the TurboS - and what year models it affects…

I hoping/thinking the software fix will be 60 days or less - otherwise I’ll reconsider - and Porsche can’t get me a replacement vehicle appropriate optioned in less time.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,442 Posts

PCCB’s - it makes _NO_ difference in any non-track driving situation - really honestly there is NO functional point to these on this vehicle
Agree. But the “Big Yellows” look cool at the Cars and Coffee. 😎 Plus no brake dust and no squeaking!

Last edited by Schnave; 05-18-2021 at 01:49 AM.
daveo4porsche (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 02:13 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

appearance and no-dust - no doubt! but that’s it - any functional difference is way beyond any legal street driving circumstances.
Schnave (05-18-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 05:41 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

got this from service manager today - progress:
I hope you’re well. PAG has narrowed the issue down to communication between the onboard charger and the PSM. They have requested we install a new onboard charger in the vehicle that will have the latest software and then do more charging and testing.

Hoping this means we will be able to get the Cayenne back to you next week.
aloktayi (01-01-2023), Miggytosh (06-05-2021), TXSchnee (06-06-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

got this from service manager today - progress:
Thanks for the update. I have one on order for December delivery and I am getting concerned.
Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne