Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 08:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Default GRR - CEL Code U0122 @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne

grr grr grr

CEL (Check Engine Light)
OBDII reader says code U0122 - Lost Communications With Vehicle Dynamics Control Module

will be fixed under warranty - but sheesh - less than 1000 miles and the car is already throwing codes…

guess we'll have a service appointment next week {sigh}

7/17/2021 Update
  • workaround? don’t externally charge your EV until Porsche has a software fix - this suggested work around currently being tested by myself stay tuned
  • known issue - Porsche claims future software will resolve this issue
  • fleetwide issue - not unique to your vehicle
  • sporadic - no known method to cause it
  • safe to ignore if you can determine it’s this code
  • we’re looking for data on this issue from other owners on this trhead - turbo only issue? or non-Turbo also?
  • very very unlikely your dealer can ‘fix” this issue unless it is really a problem with the vehicle dynamics module
  • explanations later in this thread
  • don’t like your new ‘21 Turbo S eHybrid - great this is your get out of jail free card! Porsche will most likley have to buy the car back if you encounter this issue and they can’t fix it - and to date no fix is deployed.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-17-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

vehicle delivered to Porsche Service today - will update this thread once they diagnose.
The following users liked this post:
aloktayi (01-01-2023)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Your Taycan is jealous of the new girl in the garage and sent over a virus.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Booth9999 (06-30-2021), daveo4porsche (04-27-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:49 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Val One time fault for p075200 Shift solenoid A stuck
(inactive fault)
Performed a transmission shift calibration per test plan.
80tu
Test drove the vehicle around the block to verify shifts 1-8 are normal
so it was a non-reproducible software fault - they cleared the code did a calibration and it did not reproduce - so we'll see if this is "fixed" and was a one time thing - or if this is a problem with my particular Cayenne.

anyone seen this before?
Old 04-29-2021, 01:57 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
grr grr grr

CEL (Check Engine Light)
OBDII reader says code U0122 - Lost Communications With Vehicle Dynamics Control Module

will be fixed under warranty - but sheesh - less than 1000 miles and the car is already throwing codes…

guess we'll have a service appointment next week {sigh}
You do understand that you didn't buy a car, but rather a computer network on wheels, right?

If too many of the faults occur, CA gives you a superior lemon law remedy (repurchase).
Old 04-30-2021, 10:50 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

disappointing - car is back at dealer with CEL 2 days after they returned to us - it's likely going to be lemon'd given the logistic of virtually any fix related to the transmission taking a minimum of 4-6 weeks to get major parts from germany

my wife is sad and I'm unimpressed...

EV's are sooo much simpler, and I've never had this many problems with any Tesla I've owned since 2013 - and Porsche is supposed to be the better car.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:07 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 146 Posts

What a drag. Sorry to hear.

Test drove the vehicle around the block to verify shifts 1-8 are normal
I kinda wonder how they got it into 8th going around the block.
aloktayi (01-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2021, 01:37 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

disappointing - car is back at dealer with CEL 2 days after they returned to us - it's likely going to be lemon'd given the logistic of virtually any fix related to the transmission taking a minimum of 4-6 weeks to get major parts from germany

my wife is sad and I'm unimpressed...

EV's are sooo much simpler, and I've never had this many problems with any Tesla I've owned since 2013 - and Porsche is supposed to be the better car.
Really sucks about your experience. If it takes 4-6 weeks to get the parts from Germany, then you qualified for a lemon law buyback. Only downside is what are you going to do for a ride once the buyback is complete? Maybe negotiate a settlement where you get to keep driving your current lemon while a replacement is built for you? The leverage is in your hands in CA - you can always request a buy-back and move on to another manufacturer. With 600 miles on the odometer at the first failed repair attempt, you will get 99% of your purchase price refunded in the buyback.

I was hoping the issue would have been resolved with the first repair, but it doesn't look that way.
poolie (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 07:49 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

This is all I could find when googling your OBD2 error, seems repairable if that is what you want to do: When the P0752 code is triggered, it’s because the gear required by your vehicle’s ECM doesn’t line up with the actual gear when you’re driving.

What causes the P0752 code?

This code can be stored for a handful of reasons:

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0752 code

As we mentioned above, this code may be triggered because of a malfunctioning shift solenoid circuit. In fact, that’s one of the most common reasons this code appears. However, despite how prevalent this problem is, it often gets missed.

Instead, shift solenoid malfunctions are blamed and a replacement is carried out in error.

How serious is the P0752 code?

The code isn’t serious insofar as it won’t put your life in danger. However, it will make your vehicle impossible to drive because you can’t shift gears. If you try forcing the vehicle into gear, you could also wind up doing a lot more damage.

What repairs can fix the P0752 code?

Fortunately, repairing the problem that is triggering this code could be relatively simple and quick:
Old 05-01-2021, 09:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I am 100% certain this issue can be repaired, but diagnosing root cause and then sourcing parts will drive the entire process well past the 30 day "out of service" period - the TurboS eHybrid is an exceptionally low volume product and shares very few drive train parts with other Porsches - sources parts from Germany in the current world circumstances is a 4-8 week affair - service manager also says Porsche will not authorize service hours to find the actual transmission component but rather replace the transmission as a whole - finding root cause is an open ended number of investigating hours vs. a known quantity of service hours to perform a transmission swap.

so it's the timeliness of the fix that concerns me not the actual ability to fix the problem - I think in current circumstances the fix duration could easily exceed 45 days - I'm not interested in sitting idly by with a new 200k SUV that is stored at the dealer for 45-60 days.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-01-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:52 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
This is all I could find when googling your OBD2 error, seems repairable if that is what you want to do: When the P0752 code is triggered, it’s because the gear required by your vehicle’s ECM doesn’t line up with the actual gear when you’re driving.

What causes the P0752 code?

This code can be stored for a handful of reasons:

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0752 code

As we mentioned above, this code may be triggered because of a malfunctioning shift solenoid circuit. In fact, that’s one of the most common reasons this code appears. However, despite how prevalent this problem is, it often gets missed.

Instead, shift solenoid malfunctions are blamed and a replacement is carried out in error.

How serious is the P0752 code?

The code isn’t serious insofar as it won’t put your life in danger. However, it will make your vehicle impossible to drive because you can’t shift gears. If you try forcing the vehicle into gear, you could also wind up doing a lot more damage.

What repairs can fix the P0752 code?

Fortunately, repairing the problem that is triggering this code could be relatively simple and quick:
thank you for this - I deeply appreciate the time and effort to find this information for me - I'll share it with my service manager - it would be unlikely but a happy situation if we were to find this is simply a transmission fluid issue or any of the simple 'fixes' outlined here - but I'm dubious at this point

the car has less than 875 miles on the odometer and this is very disheartening.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:22 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 114 Posts

thank you for this - I deeply appreciate the time and effort to find this information for me - I'll share it with my service manager - it would be unlikely but a happy situation if we were to find this is simply a transmission fluid issue or any of the simple 'fixes' outlined here - but I'm dubious at this point

the car has less than 875 miles on the odometer and this is very disheartening.
Completely understand. I had several issues on my last new BMW and almost went the lemon law route as it was related to the air bag sensor for the passenger seat. Eventually it was fixed (PUMA case issue with BMW DE), but it was a rough first 4 months with the vehicle (TX lemon laws are different from CA, and if you are given a loaner it stretches the time out that is required to be considered a lemon). Good luck!!
daveo4porsche (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

local dealer service escalated to Porsche NA tech support today - analysis of the 2nd code is it’s completely different than the first code - new code is uncommon enough that Porsche NA is having to ask Porsche Germany what it means - it’s not a common diagnostic code or one that has come up in the past from the Cayenne fleet so no one in North America has the textual description as to what it means - we’ll have that answer by tuesday or Wed this week hopefully - random codes with no clear diagnostic steps this car is looking more and more like an actual Lemon. So far nothing on the car can be identified that needs to be fixed/changed to make the codes go away.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

local dealer service escalated to Porsche NA tech support today - analysis of the 2nd code is it’s completely different than the first code - new code is uncommon enough that Porsche NA is having to ask Porsche Germany what it means - it’s not a common diagnostic code or one that has come up in the past from the Cayenne fleet so no one in North America has the textual description as to what it means - we’ll have that answer by tuesday or Wed this week hopefully - random codes with no clear diagnostic steps this car is looking more and more like an actual Lemon. So far nothing on the car can be identified that needs to be fixed/changed to make the codes go away.
Oh boy. Sorry my friend.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

no update - waiting for analysis from Germany.

Quick Reply: GRR - CEL Code @ 654 miles on new '21 Cayenne