Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

2011 CTT
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I was at the dealer today and read the Porsche National communication (email) to the service department. New recall notice letters will be mailed out tomorrow, Jan 12th to customers. As stated above, the parts are arriving at dealers now. But there was no information on what parts would be replaced - bolts only or more parts.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I was at the dealer today and read the Porsche National communication (email) to the service department. New recall notice letters will be mailed out tomorrow, Jan 12th to customers. As stated above, the parts are arriving at dealers now. But there was no information on what parts would be replaced - bolts only or more parts.
I certainly hope that's the case. Would be nice. This has taken a LONG time.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m booked 2/2 for the recall. 2011CS 97k miles. Will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 204 Posts

Scott,

Thanks for posting that up as it prompted me to call my local P Dealer to check on the status of this work here in Chicagoland. Happily, I'm booked for a Jan 22 appointment at Loeber Porsche to knock this out on my 2012 Cayenne S
Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Scott,

Thanks for posting that up as it prompted me to call my local P Dealer to check on the status of this work here in Chicagoland. Happily, I'm booked for a Jan 22 appointment at Loeber Porsche to knock this out on my 2012 Cayenne S

👍👍👍
Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Photos of cracked head update!

Well, I called the dealer Friday (January 12th) to see what the status of my car was and they said the parts were in and I should have a solid completion ETA by Wednesday. I asked if possible if they could get me some photos of the crack in the head and he said he would get them Monday. I got these in a text this morning:

Looks to be pretty substantial damage. Also looks to me as though it's right where they had to be to replace the adjuster the first time around, and I don't know about you guys, but it certainly seems large enough that it didn't necessarily need to be circled to see it.

Also, good to know about the recall letters. We'll have to see what happens with mine, if they're somehow getting the recall parts now or if that's going to be further out for me.

Either way, my frustrations over the technicians' capabilities have only been amplified in seeing where and to what degree the damage is, and that they somehow missed it the first time around, no less over the course of the past 5 weeks that it's been back with them.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by projekt-h
Looks to be pretty substantial damage. Also looks to me as though it's right where they had to be to replace the adjuster the first time around, and I don't know about you guys, but it certainly seems large enough that it didn't necessarily need to be circled to see it.

Either way, my frustrations over the technicians' capabilities have only been amplified in seeing where and to what degree the damage is, and that they somehow missed it the first time around, no less over the course of the past 5 weeks that it's been back with them.
So are you getting a new head? If there are broken off metal or phenolic bits loose that can not be located, are they talking about an engine replacement?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Spoke with the Service Manager today to verify they have the AH08 parts coming in. He confirmed they did and I'm currently scheduled for February 1st.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:01 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
So are you getting a new head? If there are broken off metal or phenolic bits loose that can not be located, are they talking about an engine replacement?
New head as of right now. They "think" they found everything. To be honest, I don't trust what they think at all at this point and really just want the car back in my hands as soon as possible. After that I'll be contacting PCNA to inform them of what all has happened with this, and requesting it be taken somewhere else for a full and proper inspection. If anything is found I'll be requesting the engine be replaced.

I'm also somewhat hoping they won't be putting the recall parts in, as I would like that done at a different dealership to ensure everything is done properly.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm also somewhat hoping they won't be putting the recall parts in, as I would like that done at a different dealership to ensure everything is done properly.
The only way they could not put the recall parts in is if they put used parts off another engine in. The old parts are no longer in Porsche's parts pipeline, and Porsche Cars North America would crucify them if they installed known defective (under a recall) parts in an engine they have apart.

Just a heads up - you're getting new parts if you like it or not.

I would also push for them to clean the intake passages on the head they're not replacing. They undoubtedly have carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves, and the engine is not going to be at all happy with a new clean head and an old carboned up one. Also - while they have the engine out - it's a good time to have other things done - like installation of the new transfer case vent kit, a new water pump, serpentine belt, checked idlers, etc. You may also want to push for new valve cover gaskets on the "old" remaining head since then both sides will be new. And I'd ask for either replacement of - or inspection and photos of the timing chain tensioners.

Good luck, hopefully you won't need it..
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The only way they could not put the recall parts in is if they put used parts off another engine in. The old parts are no longer in Porsche's parts pipeline, and Porsche Cars North America would crucify them if they installed known defective (under a recall) parts in an engine they have apart.

Just a heads up - you're getting new parts if you like it or not.

I would also push for them to clean the intake passages on the head they're not replacing. They undoubtedly have carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves, and the engine is not going to be at all happy with a new clean head and an old carboned up one. Also - while they have the engine out - it's a good time to have other things done - like installation of the new transfer case vent kit, a new water pump, serpentine belt, checked idlers, etc. You may also want to push for new valve cover gaskets on the "old" remaining head since then both sides will be new. And I'd ask for either replacement of - or inspection and photos of the timing chain tensioners.

Good luck, hopefully you won't need it..
I have a feeling they're just putting the adjusters it had previously back on it. I'll be sure to check and see what they've put in when I get it back.

Good call on the intake passages, I hadn't thought of that. I think they're doing this in the car, but not sure... not even sure if that's possible on these, I'd only ever opened the hood twice since I've had it. If they are pulling the engine out, I'm really afraid for what will go wrong next, and honestly, I don't want this dealership touching anything more than what's necessary. Anything else I'll handle it myself, or have a dealership that actually knows what they are doing take care of anything else.

About 2.5 months late on the luck, evidently I needed it back then... or to have taken it somewhere else.

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 PM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who have had their cam adjusters repaired under warranty before the recall, have you received the recall notice as well? I had my cam adjusters replaced last year when they failed under warranty. Why would I need the new bolts when they replaced the entire cam adjusters last year?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by bfly
For those who have had their cam adjusters repaired under warranty before the recall, have you received the recall notice as well? I had my cam adjusters replaced last year when they failed under warranty. Why would I need the new bolts when they replaced the entire cam adjusters last year?
You won't, as long as they used the parts that were current last year. Open the oil fill cap and check for yourself.. it takes 30 seconds to do (provided you have a dental mirror) - and how is right here in this thread.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I have a feeling they're just putting the adjusters it had previously back on it. I'll be sure to check and see what they've put in when I get it back.

Good call on the intake passages, I hadn't thought of that. I think they're doing this in the car, but not sure... not even sure if that's possible on these, I'd only ever opened the hood twice since I've had it. If they are pulling the engine out, I'm really afraid for what will go wrong next, and honestly, I don't want this dealership touching anything more than what's necessary. Anything else I'll handle it myself, or have a dealership that actually knows what they are doing take care of anything else.

About 2.5 months late on the luck, evidently I needed it back then... or to have taken it somewhere else.

Thank you.
Somehow I kinda guessed you aren't a guy who turns a lot of wrenches (NTTAWWT..) - no mechanic in even a semi-sound mind is going to reinstall parts that have already failed when there are new revised parts available to them from Porsche under the recall. It is NOT happening.

And yes - the engine comes out to R&R the heads. Not practical to do it any other way - the exhaust and turbo plumbing needs to be disconnected from the head, the HPFP comes off, the vacuum pump comes off. It's not a trivial exercise. If you look back in this thread I believe you'll find photos from when Porsche did mine.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts