Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad about this problem, Porsche was pretty quiet about the reason for my 2011 6 cyl. Panamera engine failing (cam adjuster bolts) with a month left on the warranty (I was very lucky). The service desk people and higher ups acted like this was unusual, a guy who worked in the back was not surprised to see this happen, quite a common thing.

The other problem with that engine was that it used a quart of oil every 800 miles.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:03 AM
stas101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
The other problem with that engine was that it used a quart of oil every 800 miles.
German engines are well known to consume oil even fairly new especially Bmw and VAG. It even says in the manual of my 958 CS to add 1.5liter of oil every 1000km. So i do not think its a problem though i have yet to hear about anyone with 3.6l vag engine and bad camahaft adjusters bolts that is weird indeed.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM
DNorby
Racer

I have had a '13 and now a '17 911 and they do not use oil, neither does my cayenne diesel. There seems to be a problem with the Audi engine, in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:55 AM
stas101
Advanced

I have had a '13 and now a '17 911 and they do not use oil, neither does my cayenne diesel. There seems to be a problem with the Audi engine, in my opinion.
Diesel is another story but german oil hungry engines are known fact do a google search or youtube search and it says even in the manual of my 957 and 958 CS to add oil every 1000km. Besides there is no oil dipstick in most modern porsches and i do not trust the electronic dip stick on display since i learned it the hard way So just add oil change the water pump after 80-90k miles and watch the temreture ALL the time is my way of dealing with german cars
Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 AM
DNorby
Racer

adding a quart every 800 miles is a problem. I saw a video once of a guy taking the valve covers off of a Cayenne and there was a wealth of oily goo that had collected up there, looked like a design flaw to me.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 AM
stas101
Advanced

adding a quart every 800 miles is a problem. I saw a video once of a guy taking the valve covers off of a Cayenne and there was a wealth of oily goo that had collected up there, looked like a design flaw to me.
Perhaps that guy did not change his oil ofte. Lol i change mine every 3-4ml even though its synth and manufacturer recomends to change it every 8-10k miles. I would rather spent extra 60$ and change it myself rather than face a very expensive repair.

Last edited by stas101; 11-08-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM
DNorby
Racer

Maybe, but I think it is where the missing oil ends up. Hopefully the new engines are no longer using so much oil. The cam adjuster bolts seem to he a huge problem.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM
stas101
Advanced

[QUOTE=DNorby;14589808 Hopefully the new engines are no longer using so much oil. The cam adjuster bolts seem to he a huge problem.[/QUOTE]
Most modern days german engines are one time garbage that can hardly be rebuilt nothing personal just business!
As for camshaft adjusters bolts - porsche KNEW about the problem but acted like it did not exist only having wc22 workshop campaign in USA but was forced to do a recall in China and Japan.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

We've drifted OT a bit here.. but a factoid:

The early 958 V8 engines were known to use oil. The turbo especially.

Around late 2012 Porsche had a service campaign to replace the oil/air-separator (it's the thing in the bank #2 valve cover). That stopped the oil use.

My CTT regularly used a quart of oil about every 600-800 miles when the first owner got it (I have all the service records, and it regularly visited the dealer to be topped up.)

The service campaign was completed in late 2012, and it mostly stopped using oil. It now uses perhaps 1 quart in 5,000 miles. To me that's totally acceptable. If you have an early V8 that's still gulping oil, let me know, and I'll see if I can find the number for the service campaign.

I suspect this also eliminates most (maybe all) of the oil accumulation in the intercooler area on that bank of the engine. I happened to look at a photo of my engine when it was out of the P!G being repaired, and the pipes for the turbo were spotless (and nothing had been cleaned up that I could see on the engine.) I suspect the old air/oil goober was still funneling oil vapor into that intake for the turbo which is why the intakes oil up, and the engine uses oil.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:51 PM
stas101
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
We've drifted OT a bit here.. but a factoid:

The early 958 V8 engines were known to use oil. The turbo especially.

Around late 2012 Porsche had a service campaign to replace the oil/air-separator (it's the thing in the bank #2 valve cover). That stopped the oil use.

My CTT regularly used a quart of oil about every 600-800 miles when the first owner got it (I have all the service records, and it regularly visited the dealer to be topped up.)

The service campaign was completed in late 2012, and it mostly stopped using oil. It now uses perhaps 1 quart in 5,000 miles. To me that's totally acceptable. If you have an early V8 that's still gulping oil, let me know, and I'll see if I can find the number for the service campaign.

I suspect this also eliminates most (maybe all) of the oil accumulation in the intercooler area on that bank of the engine. I happened to look at a photo of my engine when it was out of the P!G being repaired, and the pipes for the turbo were spotless (and nothing had been cleaned up that I could see on the engine.) I suspect the old air/oil goober was still funneling oil vapor into that intake for the turbo which is why the intakes oil up, and the engine uses oil.
Good info mate. You've always been a lot of help here ill look it up more
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

Workshop Campaign WB-29 for oil separator.

Don, you had posted info on that Campaign in the past & I grabbed the info to ask my dealer about my June 2012 build,.. which did not need it. And it's not using oil, so I'm good.

I also recall you posting a WC55 too (which might have been for high oil consumption).

And then there was also the Service Bulletin SB-76-12 that allowed the oil separator to be replaced under the Emissions Warranty.

That's all I have from those old posts. You've forgotten more than most of us know. Lol.

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 11-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Steve - thanks. I'd have to go digging to find those numbers..
Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm guessing since I've put about 7k miles on mine since I got it without adding a drop it's not consuming oil. I check the d(igital)ipstick a couple times a week and it hasn't moved... or it's broken. Adding some every now and then isn't a problem. Adding one every week or two (6-800 miles) would just be insane to me.

Somewhat back on topic, as much as I'm enjoying how much fun the Macan is, I really miss my Cayenne. The dealer called to tell me they were installing the HPFP today, and I should have it back tomorrow. Guess we'll find out if it's the bank 2 bolts or the HPFP then.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 PM
2011_Cayenne_S
Track Day

FYI there is a recall in Canada.
Porsche requested full service maintenance records ....as car was serviced by independent since new.

Not sure how maintenance has anything to do with this, and considering that I wanted to pay to have camshaft replaced as preventive maintenance and pay for it out of my pocket and I was told to NOT DO IT this pretty funny.

I will provide all records as they wish.

Last edited by 2011_Cayenne_S; 11-09-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Correctio
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 2011_Cayenne_S
FYI there is a recall in Canada.
Porsche requested full service maintenance records ....as car was serviced by independent since new.

Not sure how maintenance has anything to do with this, and considering that I wanted to pay to have camshaft replaced as preventive maintenance and pay for it out of my pocket and I was told to NOT DO IT this pretty funny.

I will provide all records as they wish.

Recall (as in mandated by your government) or a Porsche initiated "Service Campaign"?

The SC sounds more likely if they're asking for service records. It may be a deal where the dealer can ask for reimbursement if you're a loyal dealership customer who had all your service done there. A recall - at least in the US - has no restrictions on service..

Any details you can get would be great to add to this thread since a number of Canadian V8 Cayennes have been reported as blowing up..

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts