Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Could you share with us the two WMs from the current porsche WIS? I am interested in comparing what Porsche released to alldata and their WIS.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:01 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Day 666,958 (or so it seems) and still no Porsche recall letter...... <sigh>

I've been on my dealers wait list since day 1 of the AH08 campaign however, for whatever that's worth.

"Hello Porsche...anyone home?!"

You know, there's a reason I love my Toyotas too, even though they're about as exciting as a toaster.
Worrying isnt it? I call my local Porsche dealer once per month (Niello in Sac) and they have nothing. Called at the start of December and the service tech did mention that they had a bunch of people waiting but nothing happening. Getting worried. Ok, so 45,000 cars are affected, but seriously, does it take this long to get the parts made, shipped and delivered to dealers? It cant be that hard, can it?

On the other hand, my Ducati was bought new, had a recall for coolant pipes and was in and out in the same day. Ok, so its not the same thing, but recent experience with another brand that didnt have a great reputation in the past shows that the process can be simple, slick and easy. Come on Porsche, as time passes it feels more and more like I am driving a ticking bomb just waiting to go off and leave me stranded at the side of the road (and Porsche with a bigger bill!).
Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
Worrying isnt it? I call my local Porsche dealer once per month (Niello in Sac) and they have nothing. Called at the start of December and the service tech did mention that they had a bunch of people waiting but nothing happening. Getting worried. Ok, so 45,000 cars are affected, but seriously, does it take this long to get the parts made, shipped and delivered to dealers? It cant be that hard, can it?

On the other hand, my Ducati was bought new, had a recall for coolant pipes and was in and out in the same day. Ok, so its not the same thing, but recent experience with another brand that didnt have a great reputation in the past shows that the process can be simple, slick and easy. Come on Porsche, as time passes it feels more and more like I am driving a ticking bomb just waiting to go off and leave me stranded at the side of the road (and Porsche with a bigger bill!).
I'm just glad mine happened in the fall, when it wasn't frigid cold and I was able to pull my other car out of storage for a couple days until they could get me a loaner vehicle. If it happened recently, I'd have been seriously hosed. Also, having known this was a problem, and it being a recall in the Japanese market already, one would think this would be a quick-and-easy remedy. Preemptively replacing them, and providing documentation and training on how to do so could save them a great deal of money, and save customers a lot of headaches.

Update on my situation: service advisor sent an update text before he goes on vacation, they are still waiting on parts, and the service manager will be contacting me until he returns.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAVU
Could you share with us the two WMs from the current porsche WIS? I am interested in comparing what Porsche released to alldata and their WIS.
PM sent
Old 12-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Gamecock83
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my new-to-me 2011 into the local dealership (McDaniels Porsche) to have a bad valve lift solenoid replaced, and inquired as to the status of the recall. Service manager informed me that he has a file of 45 other customers "in line" for the repair as soon as the parts are released.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:12 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain
Ok, so 45,000 cars are affected, but seriously, does it take this long to get the parts made, shipped and delivered to dealers? It cant be that hard, can it?
45,000? Dunno where you got that number - Porsche would have been famous for selling 45,000 V8 Cayennes in 2011.. the number is 17,00 in the US and perhaps a few hundred more. Even so - 17,000 V8 Cayennes in 2011 means Porsche made a lot of money on the early 958.

FWIW - I suspect the delay is from the parts vendor. The official WC-22 called for complete replacement of the VarioCam adjusting mechanism. If Porsche is like every other German manufacturer - they push at least the parts cost back at the original manufacturer of the parts, and sometimes even the labor cost. If the vendor intends to ever sell another part to Porsche they cough up the money or parts. The company that makes the adjusters also made/make ones for BMW - which were also the subject of a recall. I imagine they find it more profitable to make new parts for new engines rather then making free parts for older engines, so I can guess where their priorities fall. Porsche did make mention of just replacing the bolts on the adjusters - but in that case they'd own the problem if it reoccurs. Replacing the entire adjuster tosses any further issues with them into the lap of the company making the adjusters for Porsche. If I was Porsche - I'd want entire units replaced, not bits and pieces and the accompanying liability for future failures. ALL of this is just speculation on my part - being somewhat familiar in what BMW does, I can't imagine Porsche being a lot different.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:01 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 204 Posts
Default No News from My Local P Dealer on AH08

No news is NOT good news .... So I called my local P Dealer this morning (The Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, IL) to check on the status of this recall work, citing the letter I got from PCNA dated July 31, 2017. The Service Manager told me that they still have no info from PCNA on either the parts build/availability nor any timeline on when they (and we) can expect to hear form them. He did call out that this is highly unusual to get no info for such a long period fo time, but he was unable to offer me anything other than “You will receive a second letter from PCNA when the parts are available”.

I’m guessing this is no different from what any other Dealer is sharing with their customers, unless any of you guys has an “in” with one of the senior guys at PCNA
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Default New Year, New.... Cylinder Head.

Well, they got the new adjuster, installed it, and that still didn't fix it. That's when they realized that the oil passage that feeds the cam adjuster was cracked, and not feeding the right pressure to the system. So, now they're trying a new cylinder head. That'll be a few weeks. I asked about the rest of the engine, they said the head is the only thing damaged (which I trust that about as much as it being my high pressure fuel pump the first time around) and made it very clear that at this point I'm quite concerned about the longevity of my engine.

This has become pretty embarrassing at this point.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by projekt-h
Well, they got the new adjuster, installed it, and that still didn't fix it. That's when they realized that the oil passage that feeds the cam adjuster was cracked, and not feeding the right pressure to the system. So, now they're trying a new cylinder head. That'll be a few weeks. I asked about the rest of the engine, they said the head is the only thing damaged (which I trust that about as much as it being my high pressure fuel pump the first time around) and made it very clear that at this point I'm quite concerned about the longevity of my engine.

This has become pretty embarrassing at this point.
At this point I'd be in contact with Porsche Cars NA - and the owner of the dealership - pushing for a new engine. It's obvious the shop isn't up to the job, so a new engine is what it really deserves. Usually when a dealer starts playing games with the warranty/recall repairs it's because Porsche is watching them. They want to keep the cost down to Porsche since Porsche probably dinged them on reimbursement of some questionable warranty repairs in the past. Talk with PCNA - tell them to start a case and you want the case number so you can refer to it when contacting them.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
At this point I'd be in contact with Porsche Cars NA - and the owner of the dealership - pushing for a new engine. It's obvious the shop isn't up to the job, so a new engine is what it really deserves. Usually when a dealer starts playing games with the warranty/recall repairs it's because Porsche is watching them. They want to keep the cost down to Porsche since Porsche probably dinged them on reimbursement of some questionable warranty repairs in the past. Talk with PCNA - tell them to start a case and you want the case number so you can refer to it when contacting them.
I have been considering doing this, because at this point I feel this has gotten out of hand and has been handled very, very poorly. I began my email to porsche last night chronicling everything that has happenedened last night.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM
roburado
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projekt-h
I have been considering doing this, because at this point I feel this has gotten out of hand and has been handled very, very poorly. I began my email to porsche last night chronicling everything that has happenedened last night.
Who is your dealer? I am assuming you are in Southeastern Michigan with the "Detroit-ish" location. I've had some experience with a pair of Porsche dealers in Southeastern Michigan. I haven't been completely happy with either one when I took a 2009 Cayman S to them while I still had it. Fred Lavery was horrible with communications, customer service. I got a not so great brake service at Porsche of the Motor City. They came back a bit spongy.

Looking to purchase CPO or lease a new Cayenne. Really not sure where I should go for service if I pull the trigger on a Cayenne.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Don, to expand on what I was saying in my other comment as I was typing that quickly on my phone while at the office, I have been debating wether or not to begin this now, or once I have my vehicle back. I've been advised by people I know that work at other (non-Porsche) dealers that when negative things are reported, "accidents" happen, and damages magically appear that "were there when the car came in" and while I'm sure I could fight that should they decide to stoop that low, it's not a fight I want to deal with. I also would absolutely not want them installing a new engine after raising a complaint, and taking it to a dealership halfway through a job, already torn apart could create a myriad of issues as opposed to just taking it to a different dealer to correct what I'm certain at this point they'll do wrong. Also judging by the poor quality of work, and likely lack of actual training, their "technicians" don't take their jobs very seriously and I would not at all put it past them to do something to my car.

Originally Posted by roburado
Who is your dealer? I am assuming you are in Southeastern Michigan with the "Detroit-ish" location. I've had some experience with a pair of Porsche dealers in Southeastern Michigan. I haven't been completely happy with either one when I took a 2009 Cayman S to them while I still had it. Fred Lavery was horrible with communications, customer service. I got a not so great brake service at Porsche of the Motor City. They came back a bit spongy.

Looking to purchase CPO or lease a new Cayenne. Really not sure where I should go for service if I pull the trigger on a Cayenne.
This has been with Motor City. I did call Lavery right after the original failure when Motor City told me it was the fuel pump, and I had my doubts. The person I spoke with there was VERY knowledgable, without even the "hang on while I look this up" pauses and very pleasant to speak with, so that almost surprises me about the communications. One of my friends goes to Farmington, I'll have to ask him what his experiences have been, as I'll definitely be going elsewhere after I finally get mine back for the very few things I may not want to do on my own, or for cleaning up what may go wrong afterwards related to this.

Last edited by projekt-h; 01-04-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Bosman Nanek
4th Gear

Hello, did anyone know the size of the bolts? There are 8 to change.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Bosman Nanek
Hello, did anyone know the size of the bolts? There are 8 to change.
Bosman - I'm sure it's a somewhat tedious task - but a lot of info about the bolts is contained right here in this thread, including info from a chap who spent money to have titanium replacements made. Perhaps reading the entire thread might give you the answer you seek.. or look at the 6speedonline.com thread on the same topic.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Just got the call from my dealer which is Champion in Pompano ,Florida,he said the parts should be arriving shortly for the cam shaft recall it's about time he said I should be receiving a letter any day and then to call him and make an appointment.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts