Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

I picked up my 2011 Cayenne S last Thursday, and stopped at my local Porsche dealer (Motor City Porsche) on Friday. When he asked if I got the letter, and I said no, I've only owned the car for 25 hours at that point, the service manager looked at me like I had 3 heads for knowing about this, until I mentioned doing research on here and got the "ahhh that explains it" look.

I think I'm one of (if not the) first to ask them about it, so mine should get done as soon as parts become available, but I'm in their system now and to be notified with updates. Guess if it fails between now and then I'll just have to keep proof of any related expenses.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPORSCHE
Does anyone know when they started using the better bolts at the factory? After 9.2011?

Thanks
I think you can take that as a rough date. No one really knows but Porsche - and they're not talking. Engines are likely produced in a batch - so the engine in a vehicle manufacturered on 9.2011 may have an engine produced at an earlier date.

Surefire way to tell on any particular vehicle is to look.. and that only takes a few minutes.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Macaero
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation GOOD NEWS BAD NEWS

Long time Porsche owner, first time Cayenne owner, I talked my wife out of buying a GX460 Lexus for a Cayenne S, thinking it would be the perfect long haul road trip beast.

Looked for three weeks at least 10 diffrent cars. Found a 2011 with 60,000 on it for a fair price, the car was in exceptional condition. I had already planned on have the car color corrected and a ceramic
coating put on it.

Within 6 hours of ownership and 30 miles, it start making a racket in the upper drive train and quit running. I called the dealer I bought it from (i have not even had it insured or put in my name yet) they came to house and could not believe that the engine failed.

So my question is do I give it back or have the patience to wait for the fix. Porsche does not even know I own it. Thye will flatbed to Porsche dealer that has maintained it, tomorrow and the dealer I bought it from, is on the hook for the repair.

Damnest thing! now my wife is scared of it......:

mac

Last edited by Macaero; 08-13-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Macaero
Within 6 hours of ownership and 30 miles, it start making a racket in the upper drive train and quit running. I called the dealer I bought it from (i have not even had it insured or put in my name yet) they came to house and could not believe that the engine failed.

So my question is do I give it back or have the patience to wait for the fix. Porsche does not even know I own it. Thye will flatbed to Porsche dealer that has maintained it, tomorrow and the dealer I bought it from, is on the hook for the repair.

Damnest thing! now my wife is scared of it......:

mac
I, like you, look and research until I find the right one. If were in your shoes, given what we all know about the vario cam bolts, I would give it back and keep looking, for your wife's sake and your sanity. Heck, after they undo the sale, tell them that if it turns out to be something simple, then buy it, again. Look for newer to put the cam bolt possibility in the rear view mirror.

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. Sounds like a Lexus is in her future!!! Then go buy a 911 for yourself for being such a great husband and thinking of her first.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Wow 5 weeks?!? I assume you have a loaner they provided you?
Yes. Going into week 6. No rush on my part. I need to perform major 70k service anyways(preventive 80k) when i get it back ( i have all the fluids/ filters/ parts) but i'm not looking forward it to it- so therefore a slight delay is okay with me .

Service to be completed:

- front transfer case
- spark plugs
- oil / filter change
- bleed brake fluid
- bleed PDCC
- replace PDCC reservoir
- transmission fluid/filter change
- tpms / new michelin tires.
- cabin filter
- intake filter
- new motor pulley belt

as you can see... the longer they hold on to my car, the better it's for me. Also, the v6 sucks much less gas then the CS v8 however, power is lacking majorly.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPORSCHE
Does anyone know when they started using the better bolts at the factory? After 9.2011?

Thanks
Since there is an active recall on the variocam bolts, I would call Porsche NA and ask. They have the list of the affected VIN's and those vehicles that arent on the list wont be affected - and hence have the better bolts.

I believe they got updated at the end of 2011, but its VIN dependent. Call them and ask if you are affected. Should be the most accurate way to work this out.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:13 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone been contacted by their local dealer about getting the recall done yet? Its been a month or so now and I am on my local dealers system, but still waiting for them to get this sorted out. Just wondering if anyone has had the recall occur normally yet.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:50 AM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiple 993/993TT owner here. Porsche enthusiast. 2011 Cayenne S is our "occasional" driver. Received the camshaft controller recall in the mail this week. 25K miles on our Cayenne S. In the letter Porsche states the parts needed to make the repair "are not available." I'm thinking I do not want to bother with this process and trade it in on a new Cayenne. Thoughts? Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Stupid question time:

Can we just order the bolts and have this done at a Porsche specialty shop ourselves? Has anyone tried this and know about what this costs?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 AM
stas101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
Stupid question time:

Can we just order the bolts and have this done at a Porsche specialty shop ourselves? Has anyone tried this and know about what this costs?
Nope. Tried to go that route. Bolts are built in so you have to buy the whole adjuster actually 2. They go for 950$ each from a dealer. After searching a lot the cheapest i found was 570$ each.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
Stupid question time:

Originally Posted by stas101
Nope. Tried to go that route. Bolts are built in so you have to buy the whole adjuster actually 2. They go for 950$ each from a dealer. After searching a lot the cheapest i found was 570$ each.
Actually, someone had a small quantity of titanium bolts made. More info is here.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Macaero
Track Day

Default Good News Bad News - updates

well looks like new heads are being installed, need to wait another we

week for the return....

mac
Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Looking at buying a 2012 CTT that's included in this recall. The car is out of warrentee. If damage occurs to the engine as a result of the bad bolt, before it's replaced, will Porsche cover it the repair? Trying to decide if it's too big of a risk to buy a car included in this recall since the parts aren't available. Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:18 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Macaero
well looks like new heads are being installed, need to wait another we

week for the return....

mac
Thanks for getting back to us. Did they tell you what the failure was?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by GBX
Looking at buying a 2012 CTT that's included in this recall. The car is out of warrentee. If damage occurs to the engine as a result of the bad bolt, before it's replaced, will Porsche cover it the repair? Trying to decide if it's too big of a risk to buy a car included in this recall since the parts aren't available. Thanks guys!
i would advise against buying any cayenne that has not had the bolts replaced

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts