Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Somehow I kinda guessed you aren't a guy who turns a lot of wrenches (NTTAWWT..) - no mechanic in even a semi-sound mind is going to reinstall parts that have already failed when there are new revised parts available to them from Porsche under the recall. It is NOT happening.

And yes - the engine comes out to R&R the heads. Not practical to do it any other way - the exhaust and turbo plumbing needs to be disconnected from the head, the HPFP comes off, the vacuum pump comes off. It's not a trivial exercise. If you look back in this thread I believe you'll find photos from when Porsche did mine.
Your guess is quite the opposite on that first part, my comments in regards to them using my old adjusters stem from my complete lack of faith in this dealership to do anything properly.

Yes, one would think that they would use the revised parts now that they're available, agreed, as they definitely should... One would also think they would be able to properly diagnose a very prominent issue specific to these engines, especially when that very issue is what it was brought in for and initially written up as, or that with the cam adjuster removed they would notice the rather large chunk ripped from the cylinder head leaving a hole in an oil passage the first time it was apart, prior to playing "throw s*** at the wall and see what sticks" for a month on it's return visit before realizing the damage has been present the whole time.

Basically, with how everything has been handled up to this point, I'd be more surprised if they do replace the adjusters with the revised parts than I would be if they tell me they didn't.

Knowing they will have to pull the engine out to replace the head, I may roll the dice and specifically request they pull the oil pan and timing cover to ensure nothing was missed, inspect the timing chain, and requesting photos of everything. Having them do everything while it's out could either save me a trip to another dealer for a "make sure they didn't ruin it" inspection, or could cause a whole mess of additional problems. I'll be speaking with them tomorrow to see what they are doing and go from there.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You won't, as long as they used the parts that were current last year. Open the oil fill cap and check for yourself.. it takes 30 seconds to do (provided you have a dental mirror) - and how is right here in this thread.
Not according to my dealer. They claim the parts need to be updated even if you received the newer cam adjusters. I find this ludicrous.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Just spoke with the dealer again... updating this update from my computer

According to them, they were already sent the AH08 parts, and that was what has been installed in my car, and what will be going back in. If true, great. Though, I'm not quite sure what to make of that, since the first time around I was told they were not the AH08 parts, but rather just the later-style parts. Maybe they were able to get them as of the other week when they replaced the adjuster again before discovering the hole in the head.

I asked about the carbon cleaning, and further inspection. They will be cleaning the carbon buildup on the other head. They said that the oil pan was already removed (wasn't mentioned to me previously) and cleared out the first time as well as when they replaced the oil pickup screens to inspect for contamination, which they found none. They said they will look at the timing chain and guides more while working on it. Any further work will be what the procedure calls for, and is unsure what else Porsche would be willing to cover since the pan was already removed and so far as they've observed no additional material has been found.

Unfortunately, one of their techs got taken by Porsche for the auto show (don't know why they would have a tech there, but OK) so they will likely still have my car through next week.

Last edited by projekt-h; 01-17-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bfly
For those who have had their cam adjusters repaired under warranty before the recall, have you received the recall notice as well? I had my cam adjusters replaced last year when they failed under warranty. Why would I need the new bolts when they replaced the entire cam adjusters last year?
If you had the new style installed under warranty you will still receive a notification for the AH08. Its quite amazing but even though Porsche has paid a claim to the dealer somehow they cant keep it straight which cars got new adjusters. When you go in for the AH08 the dealer needs to check the history of your vehicle and see if the adjusters that were installed are a certain part # and if they are you're car is good and the campaign will be closed out with no repairs needed.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM
projekt-h
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTEC
If you had the new style installed under warranty you will still receive a notification for the AH08. Its quite amazing but even though Porsche has paid a claim to the dealer somehow they cant keep it straight which cars got new adjusters. When you go in for the AH08 the dealer needs to check the history of your vehicle and see if the adjusters that were installed are a certain part # and if they are you're car is good and the campaign will be closed out with no repairs needed.

Well, that clarifies what I was wondering about with what they had told me about having the new adjusters and that mine will be all good... Once I *finally* get it back....
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PTEC
My dealer is convinced they need to replace the bolts even though I have the newer style adjusters. Maybe this is why they are so profitable - charge Porsche for unnecessary repairs. ;-P
Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I received my second recall letter today. It included a form for reimbursement that I will submit soon. And also check to see if my CTT still needs the recall work done.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I received my second recall letter today. It included a form for reimbursement that I will submit soon. And also check to see if my CTT still needs the recall work done.
I'm very much looking forward to receiving the 2nd letter.. I'm out about $3,000 right now and it would be nice to have that back to put away for the transfer case fund...
Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Good to hear folks are finally receiving their letters. Still waiting on mine.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Good to hear folks are finally receiving their letters. Still waiting on mine.
No need to wait for a letter. Simply call your local dealer and they'll confirm you are on the recall list and schedule an appointment.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
No need to wait for a letter. Simply call your local dealer and they'll confirm you are on the recall list and schedule an appointment.
I’ll do that, and remind them that right after the AH08 recall was announced in June, they put me at the top of their own in-house list.

I also checked my VIN on Porsche USA’s Service/Campaign website and mine does show for the AH08 campaign.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I mailed my completed reimbursement form today. Wish me luck, I imagine it will be a bureaucratic process. Porsche has outsourced this.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My letter came in the mail Friday and I called my dealer this morning. My SA scheduled my work for 12 Feb, mentioning that they are receiving the parts now but he is trying to only have one or two vehicles in for recall work at a time as "Some of these turn into week-long engine replacements." I was busy and didn't press him for further info, but it sounds promising for full inspections and replacing whatever doesn't meet spec (in addition to the adjusters themselves).
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

I mailed my completed reimbursement form today. Wish me luck, I imagine it will be a bureaucratic process. Porsche has outsourced this.
May your reimbursement go better than my repair.

I know that leaves a lot of leeway in just how well it can go, but I really hope it goes well for you and all others who will be going through the same process.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This Friday I'll be dropping off the Cayenne for the recall work. I'll post up the work-order if no one post it before me.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts