Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Huh... maybe I ought to take the money and run?
Old 08-20-2020, 04:04 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Huh... maybe I ought to take the money and run?
Based on what I've seen? Yeah maybe you should.

Though IMO even $30k is a kick in the nuts.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Wow, I've never heard of a state charging the tax rate difference on a car that you *already* own and *already* paid tax on! That's insane.

I'm interested in the new Ford Bronco too, will wait a few years for the buzz to go down and the prices to be normal tho...
Old 08-21-2020, 06:17 PM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Right, so why trade it in? Just sell it on the forum or autotrader and collect your extra $5k. Plenty of buyers.
This. The private sellers market is miserable here in US. I honestly don't understand why people are so Ok with losing thousands of hard earned dollars by trading-in their cars. With just a little effort - wash a car, put it on marketplace on facebook and couple of other places - get at least a couple of grands more. Easy money! Don't feed those crooked stealerships with their bs fees.
The only car I traded-in was a Ford Fusion, no one wanted to buy it. The rest, including a CD, were sold privately and I got more than I was offered at a dealer including tax credit.
I buy a new car first, and then sell the old one usually within a month.

Last edited by RomSL; 08-21-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:40 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

I usually sell my cars privately. There are times when trading it in makes sense. Here in Colorado the trade in price directly comes off the purchase price of the next car, so tax load is reduced. When I bought the 958 diesel I traded in my 955 Turbo S. It had a marked carfax due to hail damage (fixed) and I just didn't want to deal with trying to sell it. I pulled stuff off of it that I either used on the 958 (wheels/tires and the trailer brake controller) and sold other stuff. Between that and the tax savings I made as much, if not more, than I would've selling it privately without the hassle of dealing with people.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I usually sell my cars privately. There are times when trading it in makes sense. Here in Colorado the trade in price directly comes off the purchase price of the next car, so tax load is reduced. When I bought the 958 diesel I traded in my 955 Turbo S. It had a marked carfax due to hail damage (fixed) and I just didn't want to deal with trying to sell it. I pulled stuff off of it that I either used on the 958 (wheels/tires and the trailer brake controller) and sold other stuff. Between that and the tax savings I made as much, if not more, than I would've selling it privately without the hassle of dealing with people.
That's pretty much the analysis you have to do.

Can I get trade + tax to equal what I'd get selling privately? Or close... how much is the lack of hassle in selling the car worth?

If I can get close, why would I go through the hassle of putting it up for sale on craigslist/marketplace/rennlist and have to fend off all the lowballers and scammers?
The following 2 users liked this post by skiahh:
Leadfoot_mf (09-29-2020), lightemup67 (08-24-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 01:59 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Well it's been about 7 months, but Malone Tuning now has calibrations for the AKB6 recall. However, they're still a PITA to deal with.
I had the Stage 1 and Stage 1 + EGR Disable, but they only sent the EGR disable tune. So I've been trying to get the regular Stage 1 from them. I may want to turn EGR back on if the warmup is too slow in the winter. I rarely get an email reply from them within a month, so maybe I'll receive it in October...

I've been running the stage 1 + EGR disable since the end of August. I can report that the EGR disable fixes the poor low rpm response that seems to happen in the summer. I've towed my 24ft enclosed trailer to Mid Ohio and the extra torque is appreciated. I drove up to the lake for Labor Day and the display reported ~37mpg cruising up OH-4(state route), which I definitely don't believe. It was a mixed tank with towing my enclosed trailer and a boat, so I can't conclude anything yet. Towing my enclosed trailer was within 1mpg of the factory AKB6 calibration. I typically get ~13.5-14mpg cruising at 60mph and about 12.5-13mpg at ~70mph.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:59 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by YaNi
Well it's been about 7 months, but Malone Tuning now has calibrations for the AKB6 recall. However, they're still a PITA to deal with.
I had the Stage 1 and Stage 1 + EGR Disable, but they only sent the EGR disable tune. So I've been trying to get the regular Stage 1 from them. I may want to turn EGR back on if the warmup is too slow in the winter. I rarely get an email reply from them within a month, so maybe I'll receive it in October...

I've been running the stage 1 + EGR disable since the end of August. I can report that the EGR disable fixes the poor low rpm response that seems to happen in the summer. I've towed my 24ft enclosed trailer to Mid Ohio and the extra torque is appreciated. I drove up to the lake for Labor Day and the display reported ~37mpg cruising up OH-4(state route), which I definitely don't believe. It was a mixed tank with towing my enclosed trailer and a boat, so I can't conclude anything yet. Towing my enclosed trailer was within 1mpg of the factory AKB6 calibration. I typically get ~13.5-14mpg cruising at 60mph and about 12.5-13mpg at ~70mph.
Just bought a Flashzilla for the impending doom of a Stage 2 tune. I take it you still have the DPF and Adblue still installed and just the EGR disable in your flash?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:42 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
Just bought a Flashzilla for the impending doom of a Stage 2 tune. I take it you still have the DPF and Adblue still installed and just the EGR disable in your flash?
Correct. No hardware has been touched, only disabled EGR through software. I tow an enclosed race trailer, so I didn't want anything too spicy since it already has to work pretty hard. Hence the stage 1.

To be fair, I think their new online system for uploading base file/purchasing/downloading tune(without human interaction) is probably pretty good. However, anything out of the ordinary (like ECU recall), requires human interaction and it's pretty slow and painful.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:13 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
What's the impending doom of the stage 2 tune, it appears to still be available ? Is that changing (and when) ?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:06 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by bwbob
What's the impending doom of the stage 2 tune, it appears to still be available ? Is that changing (and when) ?
By impending doom I meant when I take the plunge to do the software. As a previous APR dealer, I've had experience with bad flashes going awry and having to remove the ECU to get it fixed.

That being said, I flashed the software this weekend, I'm thoroughly impressed with it. We'll see around June next year if I'm able to pass smog with it. If not, I still have the original software to revert back to stock.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 PM
bwbob
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you go with a straight stage 2 tune or does it include any of the options ?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by bwbob
Did you go with a straight stage 2 tune or does it include any of the options ?
EGR delete is the only thing I could go with. Have to go through dyno smog testing here in NV.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't remember if I read it on this thread or not, but someone has recommended throwing the trailer light converter (https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html) into the towing plug to "trick" the vehicle into tow mode for improved transmission behavior.

Well while changing my oil this weekend I decided to pop it in and see what happened. I went on to work on my other car the rest of the day and completely forgot about it. Today going to work, I seriously thought to myself "wow this thing is shifting nicer, that's weird". My terrible 1st - 2nd gear hesitation under light acceleration was gone and it seemed a little more willing to downshift. I honestly didn't know why until I hit the turn signal and noticed the additional indicator light up for the brake lights. There is a noticeable change in the shifting, but not sure if there are any downsides.

I'll report back if I find any, but I'm leaving it for now!

Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I'll say with it being nice and cool out mine is much happier now than it has been. I did also just do a nice long highway drive over the weekend so the DPF has likely had a chance to burnoff too.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue