Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
So.... those who went out on their own, effectively lost. That is, aside from the fact that they got to drive an "unfixed" CD for a few more years.

But I do not see an "unfixed" CD having a value that is $15k or greater valuation than a "fixed" CD at this point.
The positive aspect is that they have a readily available buyer (VW) for their cars. I am not sure what would have been the outcome here in the US if "our lawyers" decided to go ahead with the class action lawsuit and drag the case forever. Looking back, the US settlement outcome for the 3.0 tdi (Gen 2) owners seem to be better. Best ones are the US buybacks of the four cylinder engines and the 3.0 Gen 1 tdis
Old 05-27-2020, 12:40 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
The positive aspect is that they have a readily available buyer (VW) for their cars. I am not sure what would have been the outcome here in the US if "our lawyers" decided to go ahead with the class action lawsuit and drag the case forever. Looking back, the US settlement outcome for the 3.0 tdi (Gen 2) owners seem to be better. Best ones are the US buybacks of the four cylinder engines and the 3.0 Gen 1 tdis
The 4 cylinder was the deal of a lifetime. I also heard that those who sued Porsche directly, made out pretty good.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:08 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I had my 'fix to the fix' applied last week. My CD has just over 158k miles, and had a CE light on for a MAP sensor mismatch since last fall. The CE light was fixed when they did the recall work, and the car drives fine. Aside from wear and tear items (a set of front brake pads and a set of rear brake pads, tires and oil changes/AdBlue), I am still at $0 for out of pocket repairs on it, and I bought it with 7 miles on the ODO. Still my favorite overall vehicle and the best automotive purchase I've made, out of 45+.
It is due for shocks, and I think a tune. The ride is a little floaty, the miles, years and towing have taken their toll on the shocks, but for 7.5 years and this many miles, I can't complain.

The following 3 users liked this post by booch:
Mark P (06-19-2020), Rupert16 (06-05-2020), Streetmasters (08-01-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:06 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

Awesome report.
Thanks for sharing.
We love the diesel.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Aside from wear and tear items (a set of front brake pads and a set of rear brake pads, tires and oil changes/AdBlue), I am still at $0 for out of pocket repairs on it, and I bought it with 7 miles on the ODO.
Snip....

We’ve had a few things covered under warranty on ours, egt, Catalytic covertor, the clock and the side mirror controller.

just about 60k on ours, I’ll have to see how it treats us over the next 2-3 years. I’m a little afraid to own it past 100k miles so your experience is really comforting to hear.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:25 PM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well with the recent hot weather in Chicago, my CD is back to running like crap.

I had the "fix to the fix" applied a few months ago while it was still cold out and the car ran amazing. As soon as the hot weather hit, my car threw a CEL which was the DPF filter. Dealer replaced that under warranty, but it did nothing for the overall performance of the car. The worst symptoms are the bad throttle response and hesitation/ missed shift between gears 1 and 2. Its only when the car is warming up and under light acceleration. There is a full second when the car is in between gears 1 and 2 and hesitating/shuttering. Then sometimes it slams into third gear as well.

The vast difference in performance between hot and cold weather makes me think the problem is EGR related (engine choking itself with got exhaust and hot intake air), but that wouldn't explain the weird shifting.

The worst part of all of this is that the dealer won't touch a thing without a code to go off of. It's insane that mechanics these days don't actually know how to diagnose a problem. They solely rely on the computer to tell them what to do. I get the business decision there, but when there's clearly an issue that hasn't thrown a code, its infuriating.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Well with the recent hot weather in Chicago, my CD is back to running like crap.

I had the "fix to the fix" applied a few months ago while it was still cold out and the car ran amazing. As soon as the hot weather hit, my car threw a CEL which was the DPF filter. Dealer replaced that under warranty, but it did nothing for the overall performance of the car. The worst symptoms are the bad throttle response and hesitation/ missed shift between gears 1 and 2. Its only when the car is warming up and under light acceleration. There is a full second when the car is in between gears 1 and 2 and hesitating/shuttering. Then sometimes it slams into third gear as well.

The vast difference in performance between hot and cold weather makes me think the problem is EGR related (engine choking itself with got exhaust and hot intake air), but that wouldn't explain the weird shifting.

The worst part of all of this is that the dealer won't touch a thing without a code to go off of. It's insane that mechanics these days don't actually know how to diagnose a problem. They solely rely on the computer to tell them what to do. I get the business decision there, but when there's clearly an issue that hasn't thrown a code, its infuriating.
I've noticed similar - throttle lag is back. Or rather, perhaps it's TRANSMISSION lag. SPORT mode is still MUCH better, hot OR cold though. So the software did do something. But non-SPORT.... ugh. I try to hyper-focus... and I think the remainder of the issues is likely with the transmission programming. It's constantly trying to roll around at 1200 rpm with torque converter lockup. So it may not be so much "throttle lag" as the motor is just being lugged. I've started deliberately driving differently. As I roll a corner, I will give the throttle a very quick, short but sharp JAB, then tip in to the throttle normally. Seems to cause the converter to unlock and the vehicle pulls cleanly away.

Panic downshifts (going from cruising to floored to make a pass), it's almost 3 seconds from the time my foot hits the floor to the time I get power. Counting one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thous-POWER.

This all said? I've spent some time in the wife's Macan. Now that I'm hyper-aware, it's hard to turn off when driving the Macan... and I notice I can occasionally catch that car with it's pants down too. Not nearly as often but there have been times where it's nothing-nothing-nothing-OMGDOWNSHIFTGOGOGOGO!

I think it's trans tune, it's desire to get into the highest gear possible for fuel economy - and then having too many gears to skip over on the way down when you need power. 8 gears is quite a bit, when you consider most of us likely grew up driving 3 speed automatics (4 speeds if you were fancy enough to have a car with "Overdrive")

I'm back to heavily considering sending the TCU to the guy out in PA to flash the pre-fix tune in it.

I also have started considering the term "factory trained technician" to be a 4-letter-word. Not all, but most just seem to be glorified parts changers, and the only thing they know how to do is follow the Guided Fault Finding. No code? No problems.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:01 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Yeah, I'm with both of you on the heat bringing the lag back even with fix 2.0. It's super disappointing.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:16 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbos hate hot weather - lag is to be expected with a single turbo but a significant drop in performance once spooled up is not acceptable. You should only notice a minor performance drop in hot weather (>95degF). We've had recent temps over 100 deg F lately and my 2013 CD lags but spools up and then goes just fine. Actually runs very well from a running start, i.e. acceleration to highway speeds from on ramp. Definitely sounds like you may have something else working against you. BTW I've had all the emissions fixes and campaigns done as well. On balance I'm happy with the most recent campaign software update.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:03 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

What temps did you notice this starting? We've had 70s here with no noticeable impact, so far.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I noticed it getting a bit worse about 2 weeks ago when temps went over 80. Now that we are up into the 90s it is very pronounced.

Its not quite the same as it was before though. With the previous software it was like literally nothing happened when you pressed the gas in certain instances. Now in those cases there is a response it is just way way less power than what would be expected from a high compression 3.0L even off boost. Honestly now it feels very similar to letting the clutch out too quickly and lugging my old Evo VIII, which was a low 8:1 compression 2.0L that didn't come on boost till around 3200RPM.

That said it does not feel like the old school turbo car it's hot so I lost 10-20% of my power on boost. It's more like losing 75% of your expected power off boost and then it takes forever to get into boost.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah 80s-90s here with high humidity.

Def not as bad as 80s turbo car - I was a longtime owner of a 944 Turbo with a big turbo (aftermarket) so I'm aware what turbo lag is.

If I get time for a lunch break today I'm going to hook up the PIWIS and see if I can reset any/all ECM/TCM adaptations and go for a drive. I have a minor suspicion that it's just adaptations settling in.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok drove the CD to lunch. A bit of traffic so it was a good ~35 minute run (with 10 minutes sitting in a drive-thru lane).

Got home, hooked up the PIWIS. Performed an adaptation reset on the transmission. I could not find a generic adaptation reset under the DME section, but I did find something along the lines of "boost control solenoid adaptation" (or something to that effect) and reset that.

Verdict from a short 5 mile test drive - vehicle is noticeably more quick to downshift.

The other day, I could almost count to 3.
One one thousand
Two one thousand
Three one thous- and I'd have power.

Today
One one thousand
Tw- and I'd have power.

Both done in similar conditions, ~50mph cruise, 8th gear. 80F and super humid. Step on it and start counting.

As for any other kind of performance - it MIGHT feel like the boost comes in a little smoother/stronger? Might also be placebo since I know I changed it.

But even without flooring it, but simply tipping in - it downshifts more quickly and the power seems to surge sooner.

I wonder if part of what we're seeing is just a timing issue. We've all had about the same amount of time on the "fixed fix"... perhaps it's coincidental the weather is warmer, and ultimately the trans and DME adaptations are finally settling into their laziest ranges.
The following users liked this post:
visitador (06-11-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:47 AM
lightemup67
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hacked, great info thanks. I agree with you on all points: temp, timing, symptoms, etc.

Awesome that you were able to reset the adaptations on PIWIS. Anyone know if iCARSCAN X431 has that capability? I'll poke around on there a bit this weekend.

I also need to re-try the intake removal and EGR valve clean out. I attempted this about 6 months ago, but it was too long of a job and I had to turn back. I can't stop thinking about how much better the car would run in the hot weather if the EGR valve was removed. I think I'll wait until my full warranty is up and buy a tune with all the emissions turned off.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lightemup67
Hacked, great info thanks. I agree with you on all points: temp, timing, symptoms, etc.

Awesome that you were able to reset the adaptations on PIWIS. Anyone know if iCARSCAN X431 has that capability? I'll poke around on there a bit this weekend.

I also need to re-try the intake removal and EGR valve clean out. I attempted this about 6 months ago, but it was too long of a job and I had to turn back. I can't stop thinking about how much better the car would run in the hot weather if the EGR valve was removed. I think I'll wait until my full warranty is up and buy a tune with all the emissions turned off.
If you find yourself out in the direction of the far NW burbs, PM me and we can do it on my PIWIS.

I used to work in the Loop pre-COVID but with our office officially closed until 2021 I don't have a reason to head that direction anymore.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue