Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Update: Wife found a nice dent in the driver's door this morning...I know every mark on that car and it wasn't there when dropped off. It was dark when picked up. Additionally, the oil level reading wasn't working and I'm returning for no power when cold...NOT HAPPY!!
oil level reading will not work until at least 50 miles after hood was opened
Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt

oil level reading will not work until at least 50 miles after hood was opened

I'm not doubting you, but that has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 01-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Glad it went well for you. Be prepared for brutal turbo lag, especially when coming out of a corner or when slowing in a lane and accelerating to the other.

Otherwise, business as usual.
Not turbo lag... accelerator lag! Transmission lag. Something. But not turbo lag, although there is a big kick once it all clicks into place and it can feel like turbo lag.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
Not turbo lag... accelerator lag! Transmission lag. Something. But not turbo lag, although there is a big kick once it all clicks into place and it can feel like turbo lag.
Mine is back in the shop to have the dealer installed ding removed, and for them to reflash and check out some noises. I don't expect an "aha, we found something" moment. The magic is gone..,still a good car, but not something that would have impressed me when I bought it 5 years ago. I don't expect it back from the shop until next week. In the interim, getting used to the loaner Mecans.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:36 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Diesel gate the sequel for Jeep and Ram trucks:
FCA has to pay some Jeep, Ram owners about $3,000
Detroit Free Press - Published 2:03 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2019 Updated 5:39 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2019
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...nt/2530204002/
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Diesel gate the sequel for Jeep and Ram trucks:
FCA has to pay some Jeep, Ram owners about $3,000
Detroit Free Press - Published 2:03 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2019 Updated 5:39 p.m. ET Jan. 10, 2019
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...nt/2530204002/
Jeep, Ram diesel owners should hold out for a lot more money...
Old 01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Jeep, Ram diesel owners should hold out for a lot more money...

Maybe it was not deliberate: They just "borrowed" what Bosh and VW already did. I wonder when will be the turn of BMW and MB.

On another note, PJ welcome to the ranks of the "fixed." I know it is not as optimum as before but in reality, over time, my muscle memory has learned to compensate for the manual shift from third to fourth when cold. Judging from the lack of complains (and actually enthusiasm) of new buyers who bought fixed ones, the pre-fix mode was something special.

Most likely we have reached the end of this issue. Most of us who are keeping the CD are doing so because it is still a great car and we are enjoying the long drivetrain warranty. I was looking at the new Cayennes and the only one that may be closest to the CD is the E-hybrid but that car is really heavy. May as well go all electric in the future if torque is important.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Maybe it was not deliberate: They just "borrowed" what Bosh and VW already did. I wonder when will be the turn of BMW and MB.

On another note, PJ welcome to the ranks of the "fixed." I know it is not as optimum as before but in reality, over time, my muscle memory has learned to compensate for the manual shift from third to fourth when cold. Judging from the lack of complains (and actually enthusiasm) of new buyers who bought fixed ones, the pre-fix mode was something special.

Most likely we have reached the end of this issue. Most of us who are keeping the CD are doing so because it is still a great car and we are enjoying the long drivetrain warranty. I was looking at the new Cayennes and the only one that may be closest to the CD is the E-hybrid but that car is really heavy. May as well go all electric in the future if torque is important.
Thanks for the welcome, great club to be in! We'll likely get it back some time next week, after the dealer repairs the nice ding that came with their recall and looks after a few strange noises. My wife found the ding the next day, she was incredibly upset. She uses it mostly and takes really great care in parking lots and avoiding dents and dings. It is really an immaculate SUV after 5 years. No desire here to update the Cayenne, we are just past the kids in college years and our brood will rarely be traveling with us much. So we can take advantage of the CD ageing out. Between my 911 and new V8 Jeep, I can live with it a little slower. Just sad of what had to happen. Cheers!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not doubting you, but that has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard.
I agree but I had the same issue after an oil change and that is what the dealer told me ... PORSCHE has its own way
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

This brings me back memories when we were debating whether it was deliberate or an honest mistake. Also, why Porsche has a 5,000 miles oil change/AdBlue schedule vs the other VW group cars. Looks like the saga will continue way after we all have driven our CDs to the ground. If the allegations are proven true, then the whole fiasco was deliberate and we were enjoying a mirage during the pre-fix period

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...audi-to-cheat/
Old 01-19-2019, 02:03 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

^ I think there is more to it. Otherwise why would the fix require additional hardware changes. A simple flash would have fixed the dosing issue.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:21 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ I think there is more to it. Otherwise why would the fix require additional hardware changes. A simple flash would have fixed the dosing issue.
The midterm refresh CDs (2.2) do not need new hardware, just software. I have been wondering whether the 2.1 hardware requirements are because of new improved hardware, or it is the same hardware as before but were changed so that VW ensured no foul ups. I do have some memory that there were more complains of the fix from 2.2 owners vs 2.1 owners. Am I correct?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The midterm refresh CDs (2.2) do not need new hardware, just software. I have been wondering whether the 2.1 hardware requirements are because of new improved hardware, or it is the same hardware as before but were changed so that VW ensured no foul ups. I do have some memory that there were more complains of the fix from 2.2 owners vs 2.1 owners. Am I correct?
Post fix CD14s behaves way better that 15s based on my experience.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This brings me back memories when we were debating whether it was deliberate or an honest mistake. Also, why Porsche has a 5,000 miles oil change/AdBlue schedule vs the other VW group cars. Looks like the saga will continue way after we all have driven our CDs to the ground. If the allegations are proven true, then the whole fiasco was deliberate and we were enjoying a mirage during the pre-fix period

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...audi-to-cheat/
Interesting mention of the 10k vs. 5k AdBlue intervals. Post-fix, mine dropped to 5k anyway. Still doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, other than having to remove the rear load floor, wedge my hand into the spare, pop the cover and somehow add the DEF without spilling.

Originally Posted by RomSL

Post fix CD14s behaves way better that 15s based on my experience.
Really? I've never driven a '15. My '14 still seems to be affected by what seems to be turbo lag. What makes the fix on the '15 not quite as good?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transmission shift pattern

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue