Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd guess more likely the dealer lowballs the trade-in, then does the fix and collects the money themselves.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I received a letter from VW dated Nov 16 encouraging me to get my 2014 Cayenne fixed. I received the same letter again dated Dec 18. The letter states that I have until Dec 31, 2019 to get my documents in and until April 30, 2020 to have the emission fixed. My docs are already in and approved so really I would just have to make an appointment to apply the fix. Are others receiving the same letter? I won't be surprised to see another copy of the letter in the second half of January.

Given all the problems I've seen discussed here and how unhappy many are with the fix, I won't be getting it done unless there are significant improvements to it. I like my CD just as it is.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:42 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtea
I received a letter from VW dated Nov 16 encouraging me to get my 2014 Cayenne fixed. I received the same letter again dated Dec 18. The letter states that I have until Dec 31, 2019 to get my documents in and until April 30, 2020 to have the emission fixed. My docs are already in and approved so really I would just have to make an appointment to apply the fix. Are others receiving the same letter? I won't be surprised to see another copy of the letter in the second half of January.

Given all the problems I've seen discussed here and how unhappy many are with the fix, I won't be getting it done unless there are significant improvements to it. I like my CD just as it is.
I visited Gossett in Memphis today to get an annual service on my 997 and to drive a fixed 2016 CD. I like the people there and they do a great job. I know they benefit from my hatred for my local BMW dealer, and Gossett always treat me well, shoot me straight, and send me home smiling. I was surprised at how happy I was after a day of driving their fixed diesel demo which by now has almost 70,000 miles. I could feel the difference vs my 2015 stock un fixed CD with 22,000 miles but it did not bother me. I also checked the market for my car and found it to be mid to high 40's for a private party sale. Plus $10,000 from Porsche to get the fix makes me think that makes sense. I like to think that a non fixed CD will have scarcity value in states like AR and TN which do not require inspection, but I know I would have to find the right guy who will want to own the package of rights and risks that comes with a non fixed CD once the recall dollars are no longer available. I do think I would be happy to keep the unfixed car forever, but I am not sure I could convince a used buyer to step into that without a discount bid.

The Gossett people see no prospect of a buyback or better recall deal; the Porsche people under pain of their jobs, by hook or crook, will do everything they can to make their target. Gossett do acknowledge that the fix is a lateral move at best and that most people are more excited about the money than the new drive. I thought the difference after about 40 miles around town and on the freeway was subtle but gently negative on balance. I did not hate it enough to leave $10,000 on the table. But I don't think I will rush over there much ahead of the deadline! I also think that a new driver that has never driven the non fixed vehicle and has only driven the post fixed vehicle will like it just fine.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:57 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Outside the lag/surge issue I'm having on my '15, I have no issues whatsoever with either of our fixed CDs. Even the '14 has a bit of lag in the warmer weather, but it's tolerable. The rest isn't any big deal and is unnoticeable, for the most part.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I visited Gossett in Memphis today to get an annual service on my 997 and to drive a fixed 2016 CD. I like the people there and they do a great job. I know they benefit from my hatred for my local BMW dealer, and Gossett always treat me well, shoot me straight, and send me home smiling. I was surprised at how happy I was after a day of driving their fixed diesel demo which by now has almost 70,000 miles. I could feel the difference vs my 2015 stock un fixed CD with 22,000 miles but it did not bother me. I also checked the market for my car and found it to be mid to high 40's for a private party sale. Plus $10,000 from Porsche to get the fix makes me think that makes sense. I like to think that a non fixed CD will have scarcity value in states like AR and TN which do not require inspection, but I know I would have to find the right guy who will want to own the package of rights and risks that comes with a non fixed CD once the recall dollars are no longer available. I do think I would be happy to keep the unfixed car forever, but I am not sure I could convince a used buyer to step into that without a discount bid.

The Gossett people see no prospect of a buyback or better recall deal; the Porsche people under pain of their jobs, by hook or crook, will do everything they can to make their target. Gossett do acknowledge that the fix is a lateral move at best and that most people are more excited about the money than the new drive. I thought the difference after about 40 miles around town and on the freeway was subtle but gently negative on balance. I did not hate it enough to leave $10,000 on the table. But I don't think I will rush over there much ahead of the deadline! I also think that a new driver that has never driven the non fixed vehicle and has only driven the post fixed vehicle will like it just fine.
Good to hear.

Somewhat related, I’m looking at trading my CD Platinum and I’m only seeing $30k, at best, on trade values. I’d be interested to hear how your CD is spec’d so I can compare.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Rhodium metallic, Bose, ventilated 14 way seats, trailer hitch (added) , basic sunroof, black leather seats but not full leather. Steel springs. Pretty basic. 23,000 miles. This has been a great vehicle and is all I need.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^ It is very important to drive a lot of highway miles with warranty after having owned 2 diesel SVUs that are post 2009 and "Bin 5" emissions compliant for the better part of this decade. Otherwise, the fuels savings is less than emissions related repair bills.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:47 PM
heymatey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM if you are interested in selling your diesel!
Old 12-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I have Rhodium metallic, Bose, ventilated 14 way seats, trailer hitch (added) , basic sunroof, black leather seats but not full leather. Steel springs. Pretty basic. 23,000 miles. This has been a great vehicle and is all I need.
Thanks. Mine is a '14 Platinum with the full, two-tone leather, black out trim option and the 21" Carrera Sport wheels. Rare tow package and roof rack. Pano roof, too.

Market must be soft up this way.

Originally Posted by heymatey
PM if you are interested in selling your diesel!
PM inbound.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Fix was completed today on our '14 CD. Ours is a relative baby with 37k miles. I finally gave in and felt I should collect the last part of my settlement. At least I have another 10 months with full warranty to address any issues. Initial impressions from the 20 mile drive home:
1. Cold start is noisy and the power is really down until it warms up.
2. I heard a few extra noises- one was a ticking valve that shouldn't have anything to do with the fix. Second noise was a brief rattling when cold when I applied the throttle. Both noises went away when warm..WIll keep an ear out for both issues.
3. Didn't really notice abrupt shifting when cold- just seemed down on power until warmed.
4. Highway driving was normal- but felt slightly less aggressive in throttle response.
5. Looks like they did a nice job on the detail/wash.

Lets see how this shakes out. Less than thrilled, but it is what it is. More comments as it gets some more mileage.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Glad it went well for you. Be prepared for brutal turbo lag, especially when coming out of a corner or when slowing in a lane and accelerating to the other.

Otherwise, business as usual.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Glad it went well for you. Be prepared for brutal turbo lag, especially when coming out of a corner or when slowing in a lane and accelerating to the other.

Thanks for the good wishes. We are really fond of this car and how it performed prior to the fix. Hopefully this was a non-event. I didn't feel any significant or different turbo lag on the way home and I did try see if it could be produced. The CD is primarily my wifes car, but I did use it on weekends...until my new Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited came along last month. It is no Porsche, but it is a nice powerful machine for the money.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 01-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig

This is easily solved with downshifting when braking in a straight line going into a turn. Just a quick blip.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

plan on getting ours fixed in December when we order its replacement. It will be 4 and a half years old at that time.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Thanks for the good wishes. We are really fond of this car and how it performed prior to the fix. Hopefully this was a non-event. I didn't feel any significant or different turbo lag on the way home and I did try see if it could be produced. The CD is primarily my wifes car, but I did use it on weekends...until my new Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited came along last month. It is no Porsche, but it is a nice powerful machine for the money.
Update: Wife found a nice dent in the driver's door this morning...I know every mark on that car and it wasn't there when dropped off. It was dark when picked up. Additionally, the oil level reading wasn't working and I'm returning for no power when cold...NOT HAPPY!!

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue