Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Wells
During my search for the CD I just purchased one Porsche Dealer told me that if I was willing to wait Porsche would "Most probably be giving large discounts" on the 15's that were in stock.
Apparently there are a few 15's that were unsold when the stop sale was announced that are back behind the fences of the dealerships.
He guessed that they would be discounted in the $7000 to $10000+ range depending on the options the cars have.
Even with the discount it would still be higher than I was willing to spend but is a good option for someone willing to wait.
On another note I will be getting my bill of sale emailed to PCNA today and will start the countdown on when I receive the letter notifying me of the “Goodwill CPO”. I still have 10K on the original warranty so there will be some time to work with Porsche on the extended coverage.
I'd suggest you mail it registered and a receipt. Once they have it, call them and get a case number. That way you can continue to follow up in the future.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:43 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Out of the Game

I just took myself out of the Diesel game - bought a CPO 2016 GTS w 8K miles configured as our special-ordered Diesel is (except for the obvious drivetrain differences), but without the roof rack and hitch. I know the rack can't be added, but it's not a huge loss as we rarely used the one on our 4Runner and I've got a big truck if we really need to go somewhere with a lot of stuff. May add the hitch to be able to use the bike rack, but then again, there's that truck in my yard...

The vehicle was for my wife and she was getting tired of waiting and wondering how things would shake-out - we were planning to move ahead with an "S", but found the GTS for about the same that a new "S" would cost - plus gained the CPO warranty.

Our 2016 CD continues to sit at the port in Germany (since early November).... if it ever makes it here, there will be a nicely-configured CD available in SoCal. Best of luck to all in the Diesel game!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the GTS. No shame there
Old 01-22-2016, 01:37 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting take on the diesel issue:
The exhaust emissions scandal „Dieselgate“ - Take a deep breath into pollution trickery
https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7331-the...eselgate#video
Old 01-22-2016, 03:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Interesting take on the diesel issue:
The exhaust emissions scandal „Dieselgate“ - Take a deep breath into pollution trickery
https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7331-the...eselgate#video
Fascinating, especially the analysis of the corporate culture that made this happen..
Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A surprising number only have the 4-way adjustable seats, no lumbar adjustment. I see odd-ball cars with the 4-way seats, and a pano-roof. Almost none have the height adjustment, but a very few have the "comfort" "normal" "sport" suspension settings ****. Only rarely do they get the full-boat front/rear HVAC setup, about 30% have heated rear seats besides the heated front ones. And it's a toss-up if the trucks have the combo heat/ventilated front seats vs the just heated seats. I saw one with no heated seats, no navigation, no rear-camera/beepers and no sunroof.

What I'd like is one with the air-spring height adjustment, the suspension settings, navigation, regular sun-roof (less trouble prone? for sure on BMWs..), nav, backup camera-beepers, HIDs and the Burmeiser audio (only found one with it), plus heated/vented seats. I don't care what's in the rear seat area - I don't sit back there.
Diesel's are base model cars and optioned as such. Just like older 955/957 Cayennes it starts to make more sense to get higher optioned models as the pricing difference isn't that far off but you get a lot more on the higher end models. For example a 2011 Turbo will have air suspension and PASM, may have PDCC and may have the other fun stuff like entry and drive, ACC, PASM, PTV+, fancy seats... stuff that's hard to find on a Diesel.

You diesel guys encountering the fuel pump issues yet? My dealer has 3 awaiting parts and repair for the high pressure fuel pumps disintegrating.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:40 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Rick Wells, I hope you don't mind but I used the following (uncredited) in an email directly to the CEO, Oliver Blume, at Porsche as well as my dealer:

Apparently there are a few 15's that were unsold when the stop sale was announced that are back behind the fences of the dealerships.
He guessed that they would be discounted in the $7000 to $10000+ range depending on the options the cars have.

The point of my email was to illustrate the pressure on brand value as well as the financial value. If you happen to have more detail it would be helpful as I would like to follow-up.

I received a polite reply from Porsche's Customer Commitment group (excerpt):

...we kindly ask for your understanding that we are unable to solve your matter directly from here. We have thus contacted our colleagues from
Porsche Cars North America Inc. for their evaluation and handling.

I rarely escalate an issue but when I do my intent is to bring the point to the person in charge, unfiltered. My wife had a Maytag washing machine that was just a few years old. I reached out to the CEO and within hours received his reply that they would look into and address the issue. The next week the washing machine was replaced. The same experience with DirecTV, sent an email Friday night, C level exec called on Saturday AM. As a business owner I also take this to heart. My relationships with my clients is something I take seriously and
respect each as an individual, they are always right and that they are always reasonable.

The Porsche NA rep called. He stated that Porsche NA dealers could not sell new CDs and that the value of the car was possibly worth more due to the extended warranty offered. I don't think this is a surprise to anybody on this board.

I understand the pressure these guys are under. This is the largest public issue Porsche has ever had to face (I know, IMS is big but not as public as this...but I feel the potential pain as a 911 owner. Wouldn't it be cool if Porsche management took a BOLD approach and involved their owners? I thought an incredible car like this was backed by incredible designers, incredible engineers and incredible management. I would have hoped this could have been a team effort and will admit being BOLD might be a fantasy but I for one
would support them.

Dr. Blume, if you happen to read this: This is an opportunity to forge a deeper relationship with owners. There are alternatives to the only apparent path presented. As owners/enthusiasts, we look forward to what happens. Also, If your in the neighborhood, stop by and I'll buy you a pint (smile).
Old 01-28-2016, 12:59 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by caronsd
I just took myself out of the Diesel game - bought a CPO 2016 GTS w 8K miles configured as our special-ordered Diesel is (except for the obvious drivetrain differences), but without the roof rack and hitch. I know the rack can't be added, but it's not a huge loss as we rarely used the one on our 4Runner and I've got a big truck if we really need to go somewhere with a lot of stuff. May add the hitch to be able to use the bike rack, but then again, there's that truck in my yard...

The vehicle was for my wife and she was getting tired of waiting and wondering how things would shake-out - we were planning to move ahead with an "S", but found the GTS for about the same that a new "S" would cost - plus gained the CPO warranty.

Our 2016 CD continues to sit at the port in Germany (since early November).... if it ever makes it here, there will be a nicely-configured CD available in SoCal. Best of luck to all in the Diesel game!
Our 2016 CD also sits a port only in CA but without any clear resolution at hand. Talked to the GM this week and he says that the chances of getting a new 2017 are seriously unknown and they don't think they may even see CD's for 2017 until end of year maybe. Chances of the 2016 being released soon are nil and rumors are Porsche may just shift them to other non-emission limited markets to recoup some of the value versus letting them depreciated daily on the docks/dealer lots. Remember we're moving closer and closer to end of the model year and intro/start of MY17 production this summer so remaining cars will be worth less. I'm done!

In any event, we were offered a nice package towards another vehicle and have moved to a Cayenne v6. Had roof rack and trailer hitch and other options and color we wanted and numbers were better than the equivalent diesel we ordered price wise and performance difference was not as huge a factor (as this is wife's car replacing an Audi Q5). Will take delivery next month and thus end the saga and mess created by VW. Good luck guys and those awaiting their cars or who are hoping to get one of the remaining ones at discount...not sure if the lawyers are gonna let that one happen due to the 50 shades of liability it seems may or may not come into play once they certify any fix that changes the performance and/or valuation. What a mess!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:20 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche is lucky right now in that gas is so cheap. If this fiasco caught them during $4 gas it would be hurting even more. But they can move base and S cayennes without people overly focused on fuel economy.

It only took a few months for consumers to completely forget that gas was so much more expensive.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Porsche is lucky right now in that gas is so cheap. If this fiasco caught them during $4 gas it would be hurting even more. But they can move base and S cayennes without people overly focused on fuel economy.

It only took a few months for consumers to completely forget that gas was so much more expensive.
+1
When shopping for the CD two plus years ago, premium was $4.50, diesel was the same. The thought of running a 16 mpg CS over the life of the vehicle at possibly higher fuel prices was not attractive. I drove the diesel and found it a perfect solution. Now it's dirt cheap to run.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

mdrobc1213, are you comfortable sharing what the price value was that the dealer offered you since they couldn't deliver the CD? You were in the best spot in some ways that you didn't take delivery. We took delivery before this broke lose but we are looking at our options, one is to turn the car in now while its fresh in the dealers mind vs 4 to 7 years from now.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:36 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
+1
When shopping for the CD two plus years ago, premium was $4.50, diesel was the same. The thought of running a 16 mpg CS over the life of the vehicle at possibly higher fuel prices was not attractive. I drove the diesel and found it a perfect solution. Now it's dirt cheap to run.
Never fear though.. we ALL lost WAY more money maintaining the car and in depreciation thanks to this fun situation. As stated earlier, I believe the 13s have lost 10k+ in value; that buys a LOT of gas.

I also got screwed on the maintenance as I was a pre-sale order and my Cayenne came over on the first boat. Everyone thought it was going to be a 10k service interval. For a while there I did my maintenance at the dealer and that effectively cancels out any fuel savings.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
mdrobc1213, are you comfortable sharing what the price value was that the dealer offered you since they couldn't deliver the CD? You were in the best spot in some ways that you didn't take delivery. We took delivery before this broke lose but we are looking at our options, one is to turn the car in now while its fresh in the dealers mind vs 4 to 7 years from now.
You'll lose your shirt trading it in right now between the normal depreciation and dealers not really wanting another diesel to try to move. Keep it. Drive it. Enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Stopped at a dealer today - to test drive the gasoline V6 (base) just for a "baseline" (it actually was way way better then the BMW X5 diesel I'd driven 15 minutes before around the same route..)

The dealer has about 5 or 6 2015 diesels they've been using as loaner vehicles since they couldn't sell them. They got the go-ahead yesterday from Porsche to sell them now. I asked about the "free" CPO plan being attached to the sale - and he claimed the President of Porsche NA was there earlier in the week and the question of the dealership CPO'ing the vehicles came up - Porsche said no.

So I've asked him to clarify what we read here with Porsche and get back to me.

Will report back when I hear from him.

BTW - how bad was the BMW? (it was a used 2013) - it was awful. A completely bad experience. The steering effort required at slow speeds (parking lot speeds) was horrendous, I assume it didn't get the not highly liked BMW variable-boost steering option. The newest ones have electric steering - which according to the salesman lessens the effort a lot. Ride quality was not great - run-flat tires will do that - my wife would complain. The iDrive still is a disaster IMHO.

The look-down backup display was pretty much useless. A clever idea poorly implemented. Despite the screen being a widescreen, it's also not very tall - maybe 3" - so the look-down display (uses multiple cameras to generate an image of the vehicle and what's actually around it - looking down on the vehicle) is simply too damn small to be of any use (about 3"x3".) The "standard" backup camera view was much better - with an interesting way of warning you you're getting too close to potential hits - a flat-box pops up on that part of the screen, sort of at a relative distance from the vehicle, and it turns red when you're too close (or just close enough.)

Interior feels cheap compared to the Cayenne interior - really no comparison. Cheapish looking plastics, uniform flat-matt-black stuff. Seating was nothing to write home about. And the shifting goober thing really is confusing (have to press a button on the side to click it forward or rearward, changing from D to R - and the lever then self-centers. To get into Park - another button on the top of it must be pressed.)

Biggest disappointment was the engine. You'd think with the number of diesels BMW sells in Europe (more then gasoline models) it would feel excellent, but it has a huge lag when you nail it as the turbos spin up, and when it finally starts to accelerate - it feels lethargic. Funny since it has better numbers and a larger displacement then the VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0L:. Maybe that's how they feel if you actually conform to the emission requirements in the US..

Anyway - the X5 got quickly crossed off my list, the gas V6 got added (felt close to the performance of my '06 S - which is adequate) opening up a LOT more Cayennes to consider.

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-28-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

my guess is they can't CPO them because they are already covered for 6/100. Either that, or they figure anyone buying one now knows the risk and doesn't deserve extra warranty.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue