Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:52 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Yeah I may have miss spoke about the fix. Looks like they will just insure that you have the CD. I'm going to ask how they are going to compensate me for my wasted hour? they have my title, registration, and license. What else do they need? Why don't they come to my house to verify I have the car. They should call the registry and my insurance company to be sure I have the car. Why drive it all the way to the dealership.

Agree with someone else who mentioned it's probably a big sales pitch. My dealer just got the "package" yesterday and they have no clue what is happening at the transaction. Not much of a windfall when my 2014 CD listed at $84k and I'm getting about 9k in compensation. My VW TDI I almost got a full refund after 4 years of using it. And I did get a sales pitch about buying another one, but I had already bought a Accord.
My appointment is scheduled for 30 minutes. Your time is "compensated" in the money you're going to get. You could just not waste the hour and just keep on the way things are. Drive the car you bought, don't worry about any fix, recall or whatever.

Windfall: an unexpected, unearned, or sudden gain or advantage. I'd say we're getting a windfall. Is it as much as you want? Probably not. Everyone wants more and thinks they are getting ripped off.

Take your 9K (is that including the $1500 from Bosch?) and sell the vehicle at market and you'll be about where you'd be if this hadn't all happened.

Sorry for the rant, but all the whining about not getting enough free money or Porsche not buying back a vehicle they can (allegedly) fix is getting old.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:02 PM
midas
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
My appointment is scheduled for 30 minutes. Your time is "compensated" in the money you're going to get. You could just not waste the hour and just keep on the way things are. Drive the car you bought, don't worry about any fix, recall or whatever.

Windfall: an unexpected, unearned, or sudden gain or advantage. I'd say we're getting a windfall. Is it as much as you want? Probably not. Everyone wants more and thinks they are getting ripped off.

Take your 9K (is that including the $1500 from Bosch?) and sell the vehicle at market and you'll be about where you'd be if this hadn't all happened.

Sorry for the rant, but all the whining about not getting enough free money or Porsche not buying back a vehicle they can (allegedly) fix is getting old.
I don't think it's about more money or an unknown fix. It's about being sold a product that they had to lie to sell. I for one wouldn't be happy with buying a home that someone didn't disclose a foundation crack, mold, etc... I don't see a difference here in disclosure. You may call it whining, but others see it differently.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM
deanrose
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a remediation and compensation plan put in place. My guess is there is nothing that anyone can say or do that's going to change the course of this particular issue. I plan on taking monies offered and use this situation as guidance on how best to spend future dollars.

Originally Posted by midas
I don't think it's about more money or an unknown fix. It's about being sold a product that they had to lie to sell. I for one wouldn't be happy with buying a home that someone didn't disclose a foundation crack, mold, etc... I don't see a difference here in disclosure. You may call it whining, but others see it differently.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:53 PM
NAAMAZ
Advanced

If you have not read this book, its a great read.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by midas
Sure, but other than emitting more NOX, the vehicle functions as you expected when you bought it. It has power, efficiency, comfort, looks and even cache, if that's important to you.

Now you know it emits more pollutants than they said it was certified to emit. Doesn't change the way the thing operates. Doesn't present an immediate or, probably, even a long term hazard to you. But, because there's now a cloud over the vehicles, they're going to give you ~$10K. Oh, and fix it so that it IS like they said it would be (of course, this remains to be seen, but for argument's sake, let's say the fix is good). So now you have your ~$10K AND the vehicle you initially thought you bought.

You got your vehicle fixed and you got money for being "suckered" into buying a Cayenne. You are whole. There should be no whining about not getting a buyback or more money. Sure, we'd all like to dip deeper into those pockets, but this is what was negotiated as approximating fair.

Now you have options. Keep your car, the money and get it fixed and you're ~$10K ahead of where you otherwise would have been. Sell the car that you were suckered into buying, at a lower than it should be price, but keep the money and you're still good, generally.

Yes, we all have different perspectives, but getting ten thousand dollars (and a good fix, of course) should offset being lied to to get you to buy the Cayenne. Hell, if lying about a car was all you're worried about, we should be suing ALL car dealers!!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visitador
So, how many of us have already spent the settlement money on something produced under the umbrella of the VW corporation?

Well, there's PJ and I...
and me, upgraded my wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

^ Nice bad**s CD. Wheels look great with just enough window tint. Congrats.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 AM
TxHoon
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I don't recall seeing the specs on your 911. PM me or post it here to jog my memory. I'm even deeper into the VW family- I leased a '17 Tiguan SE (old style) for daily use. German made, quiet, smooth, nice features like heated seats, Apple Car Play, room for 5. Not that big of a cargo carrier. Consumer reports hates it, so I knew it was the right car for me. My son has a '12 Jetta GLI which he loves. I was a huge BMW fan until they lost the recipe and needed to learn the hard way that Mercedes was absolutely not for me.

Are you sure about the Tiguan being made in Germany? I know they make a bunch in the ve plant in Mexico. When I was shopping for a vehicle for my daughter, all of the vw's I saw on the lot as "hecho in mexico".
Old 06-29-2017, 09:09 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHoon
Are you sure about the Tiguan being made in Germany? I know they make a bunch in the ve plant in Mexico. When I was shopping for a vehicle for my daughter, all of the vw's I saw on the lot as "hecho in mexico".
Yep, made in Germany. One big clue is the VIN starts with "W". The VIN on the Jetta GLI starts with a 3, Mexican made. Notable difference in the build quality of the Tig versus the GLI.
The new Tigs are Mexican made, they were pretty much passed off as a typical mid sized cross over by the press. I think the Atlas is US made as is the Passat. Beetles and Jettas are also Mexican. Not sure about the Golf, it may be sourced from multiple countries depending on model.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Sure, but other than emitting more NOX, the vehicle functions as you expected when you bought it. It has power, efficiency, comfort, looks and even cache, if that's important to you.

Now you know it emits more pollutants than they said it was certified to emit. Doesn't change the way the thing operates. Doesn't present an immediate or, probably, even a long term hazard to you. But, because there's now a cloud over the vehicles, they're going to give you ~$10K. Oh, and fix it so that it IS like they said it would be (of course, this remains to be seen, but for argument's sake, let's say the fix is good). So now you have your ~$10K AND the vehicle you initially thought you bought.

You got your vehicle fixed and you got money for being "suckered" into buying a Cayenne. You are whole. There should be no whining about not getting a buyback or more money. Sure, we'd all like to dip deeper into those pockets, but this is what was negotiated as approximating fair.

Now you have options. Keep your car, the money and get it fixed and you're ~$10K ahead of where you otherwise would have been. Sell the car that you were suckered into buying, at a lower than it should be price, but keep the money and you're still good, generally.

Yes, we all have different perspectives, but getting ten thousand dollars (and a good fix, of course) should offset being lied to to get you to buy the Cayenne. Hell, if lying about a car was all you're worried about, we should be suing ALL car dealers!!
Well said. I would add the additional warranty valued at approx $2-3K into the deal further compensating/sweetening the pot.

The CD is working itself out to be a reliable vehicle Now the head bolts issue(with V8 cayennes) and transfer case problems on the other cars are coming into light.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm psyched as my 2012 Touareg goes back to VW on 07/11 and I bring the 2016 CD to Porsche on 07/18 for them to see and then wait up to three days for the first 1/2 half of the $$$.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:25 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well said.

Tho there are clearly, in some small numbers, people that apparently believed they were buying a TDI because it's "good for the environment." That seems laughable to me but I'm sure I do things that seem laughable to others, so I guess in a sense, I can't judge. In that regard, they feel 'wronged'.

I'd just think that, if you wanted to buy an SUV and be "good for the environment" you could have done better than a $80k Porsche.

Personally, I'm more than made whole IMO. I wanted a Cayenne. The mileage and torque of the TDI is what sold me on the diesel. The V6 isn't "bad" but I probably would have preferred the V8 if the diesel wasn't available. So long as the 'fix' keeps the torque and the mileage equals that of the V6 gasser, I'm still ahead... plus with $10k in my pocket.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My appointment is scheduled for 30 minutes. Your time is "compensated" in the money you're going to get.
I don't agree with that. The compensation is for their antics and the damage they have supposedly caused us.

What he is talking about (and I kind of agree) is the hoops they are now making us jump through for what the court has ordered them to give us.

Yes my appointment is also for 30 minutes, but it's a 30 minute drive each way to get it there. The only times I was offered were also only during work hours. So not only do I have to go well out of my way, but I have to miss a fair chunk of my work day in the process.

All so that they can verify something which they should be able to do by other means based on the information we were required to supply.

This also wastes their resources too so I can only surmise (and agree with others that have said it) that this is a backhanded sales tactic.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Tho there are clearly, in some small numbers, people that apparently believed they were buying a TDI because it's "good for the environment." That seems laughable to me
Yet you say the milage was part of what sold you. Better MPG means using less oil which is, wait for it, better for the environment

Me, I wanted to switch to diesel when I got the CD because it is overall better for the environment (less harmful emissions, uses less fuel, less waste energy in the fuel manufacturing, etc..).

I'd just think that, if you wanted to buy an SUV and be "good for the environment" you could have done better than a $80k Porsche.
Because a new diesel SUV was my requirement, in 2012 I was rather limited in my options (T-Reg, Q7, X5, and I forget the Benz). So not really a plethora of other options and the CD was released just as I was about to settle on the X5d. Sure it cost $15k more, but worth every penny.

Personally, I'm more than made whole IMO.
I completely agree and more over I think we are making out like bandits as I still think the whole thing is based on BS regulations with loopholes that VW could drive a fleet of trucks through.

The current argument, I think, has merit. If they are going to make us show up in person to prove we have the vehicle, why force us to go through all that online BS. They should have just had us bring it to the appointment so they could copy it as needed. Since they required us to supply that info ahead of time, they can relatively easily contact our respective states to verify ownership with the supplied info. That would also save the time that the dealerships have to spend dealing with all this too.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ maybe this saves a step if they actually need to do a buyback later?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue