Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Thanks all. I just called PCNA and spoke to their customer care folks. Seems my VIN (2013 CD) is not affected by the diesel emissions issues. They said it was VIN specific and based on manufacturing date. Mine is an early 2013 model year with production completed 10-1-2012. So no extended warranty for me but also no workshop / recall order either. For those like me who have heard nothing, might be worth a phone call to PCNA and have them check your VIN too.

Maybe that's why I got an email from a local dealer a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to trade in or trade up my 2013 CD ...
Originally Posted by visitador
I think this letter from CARB clarifies the whole thing. All are non-compliant

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/2015_1...nal_signed.pdf
Quick update: PCNA called me yesterday (before I had planned to call them) and said my 2013 CD does indeed qualify for the recall after all. I am to be getting the official documentation soon and it will describe what actions to take ... i.e. contact dealer and arrange for the recall to be done, etc. I'll also get the extra warranty coverage and whatever else is ultimately offered as per any settlement, assuming there is something else. It was very nice and proactive of PCNA to get back to me, I even have a case number! So I guess I'm back in the game with the rest of you CD owners.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Quick update: PCNA called me yesterday (before I had planned to call them) and said my 2013 CD does indeed qualify for the recall after all. I am to be getting the official documentation soon and it will describe what actions to take ... i.e. contact dealer and arrange for the recall to be done, etc. I'll also get the extra warranty coverage and whatever else is ultimately offered as per any settlement, assuming there is something else. It was very nice and proactive of PCNA to get back to me, I even have a case number! So I guess I'm back in the game with the rest of you CD owners.
I'm not sure you'll be getting any documentation describing what actions to take, since I don't think Porsche has an approved action plan yet.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:13 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm not sure you'll be getting any documentation describing what actions to take, since I don't think Porsche has an approved action plan yet.
I suspect you may be right ... but I don't know, in talking with them they seemed pretty sure what was going to be done and confident the info I get will detail it. We'll see, maybe I won't get any documentation for a few months!
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats.

Maybe they just meant that when there is something to send then you'll be on the list too.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:56 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I suspect you may be right ... but I don't know, in talking with them they seemed pretty sure what was going to be done and confident the info I get will detail it. We'll see, maybe I won't get any documentation for a few months!
Originally Posted by gnat
Congrats.

Maybe they just meant that when there is something to send then you'll be on the list too.
Maybe this provoked the call. Mueler is headed to the US to discuss with the EPA in person the way forward. This should have been done a while ago...like at the beginning of the crisis. A face to face sometimes does more good than an email or just ignoring the issues. Fingers crossed. Maybe I'll get my CD anyway?

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive
Old 01-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the Muller meeting will be interesting given this info:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/bu...=20718446&_r=0
Old 01-09-2016, 12:37 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update, Canada. Got the same copy and paste letter from as others in N.A. from Porsche Canada President and CEO, offering the extended limited warranty, letter came in late Dec, dated Dec 21.
I emailed my sales manager indicating that this provided no benefit to me as I already purchased the warr at time of purchase and suggested options of either refund warr cost or stacking this 2 year warranty onto my existing ext 2 year warranty.
He indicated that Porsche is aware of this issue and are "working on an alternative" and that "information has been slow".
So, good to know this somewhat niche issue is apparently on the radar and hopefully being addressed by Porsche.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Everything is slow when they know they have to pay. There is nothing mysterious here. As I previously posted a link to a YouTube presentation, upper management must have approved all this software since the beginning. No lower level engineers would have been able to slip in the software because everything is documented. Now it is dragging time hope to lessen the financial hit.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No lower level engineers would have been able to slip in the software because everything is documented.
As a SE myself, I disagree with that assessment. Upper management has no idea about the details of the code implementation even on the most regulated products. Even on projects with rigorous code reviews it is still possible to add "malicious" code.

Now the big question would have to be, what does a small group of rogue programmer get out of doing this. I can't think of anything so I can't see it being done with out direction from higher up.

Now that said, rather than an official part of the project I can easily envision higher management approaching a set of developers that would do it off the books and get it added to the code base in small pieces that don't stand out.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

From the video I saw, some code was added under titles that were totally unrelated to emissions
Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 AM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the video I saw, some code was added under titles that were totally unrelated to emissions
To be clear, the code was added by Bosche, they confirmed this along with a notification that it is only for testing and if you use this during normal operation you will be braking the law. The code is opaque to the car manufacturers, they only provide the configuration and data.

The way the code was enabled/entered was by entering a small number of dummy configuration points like negative temperatures in certain conditions.

The odd thing is that the analysis was done "on cars with SCR systems" (edit - should be "on a car with SCR"). They did not have an analysis of the early 2.0L TDIs with the LNT systems - the guy did it on his own car and it wasn't a 3L. I'd like to see what the hack was like in the older systems.

Last edited by ddeliber; 01-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:06 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting out as a software engineer, then working my up to software senior management, I am sure they or someone in upper management was aware. I look at it like this, motor fails QA for emissions levels, at that point management is aware of issue. Management or SE suggests solution or possible workarounds to fix issue. Firmware is changed, end of story. Some management had to know maybe not to the CEO level, but certainly SR VP. And seeing Porsche is under the VW umbrella, solution may have come from VW engineers to begin with across organizations. Now how it got approved or who approved it is the problem. My understanding is that VW will not release internal VW emails to EPA USA.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:20 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Slightly off topic but in light of the stop sales order by Porsche anyone have a clue why Porsche dealers are still selling CD's on eBay? Seems like a violation of the stop sale order. And Porsche's own website car locator still shows CD's for sale....

We're in the market for a CD (just started looking when the news broke). We're still looking, feeling like it'll sort itself out with the 3.0's without much fuss and the potential of an added warranty is a plus, though we've slowed the search a bit waiting for a solution and in part because inventory is scarce. Three CD's have been sold in a few days by local non-Porsche dealers so up here they're still selling well.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

To B.Kish: Who knows? Is there any provisions in the contracts between POA and the dealers that allow POA to enforce any stop sales, including used car inventory that the dealer actually owns?

Now, as for the software irregularities. I wonder whether some of our genius software engineers here are willing to reverse engineer a CPU of a 3.0 TDI and find out what those AECDs are doing? Anyone wants to chip in and maybe search a used one on Ebay? Just curious.

Last edited by visitador; 01-10-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Kish
Slightly off topic but in light of the stop sales order by Porsche anyone have a clue why Porsche dealers are still selling CD's on eBay? Seems like a violation of the stop sale order. And Porsche's own website car locator still shows CD's for sale....

We're in the market for a CD (just started looking when the news broke). We're still looking, feeling like it'll sort itself out with the 3.0's without much fuss and the potential of an added warranty is a plus, though we've slowed the search a bit waiting for a solution and in part because inventory is scarce. Three CD's have been sold in a few days by local non-Porsche dealers so up here they're still selling well.
My info is the stop sale is not set in stone. CD sales are "discouraged" as if a CD is sold now it comes with some extra warranty that adds considerable cost to the vehicle which is absorbed by Porsche.

Porsche I think would prefer to hold sales until this software business is sorted so it can resume selling the CD without the added expense of this extra warranty.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue