Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:35 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
This video popped up in my YouTube feed this morning. Kind of pissed me off, really. "Oh, we go out of our way to treat our customers with unique vehicles right".

Not cool, Porsche.

Porsche 111 Diesel Cabriolet - a very special car needs a very special service. - YouTube
So cute. I wonder how much Porsche is charging the farmer for that part.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Enough that he traded the whole thing in and drove off in a 911
Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Enough that he traded the whole thing in and drove off in a 911
Nah, that was just the loaner! lol
Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I shudder to think actually.

When my CD had to be repainted and I tweaked it some in the process I looked at getting the "diesel" logo from the tractor to put on the lift gate (always bugged me that there was no model reference back there). It was a bit difficult to track the right one down and it made the modern badging look cheap*.

* Looks like maybe there was a fresh run or something as a quick search finds them and at roughly 100 euro they are significantly cheaper than when I looked a few years ago.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:46 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I have an expensive OEM "diesel" rear license plate holder. Which I removed out of shame. lol

Last edited by visitador; 10-06-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an expensive OEM "diesel" rear license plate. Which I removed out of shame. lol
It's an interesting side discussion as we wait for real information on the 3.0L case, how Porsche is the only German manufacture to actually use the words "diesel" in the US. Mercedes changed from diesel and turbodiesel to BluTec and BMW uses only a little "d" while Audi and VW went for TDI or tdi depending on how much money you are spending.

When I bought my CD, the GM at the dealer told me Porsche purposefully did not want to have diesel on the rear of the vehicle [in the US]. I don't know if that is a true story or not, but it was told to me.

Ok - now back or our originally scheduled program ...
Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl
When I bought my CD, the GM at the dealer told me Porsche purposefully did not want to have diesel on the rear of the vehicle [in the US]. I don't know if that is a true story or not, but it was told to me.
I'm pretty sure that it's the same in Europe and that the CDS there only says "Cayenne S" on the back.

The Hybrid and eHybrid are the same too where they just have the S designation on the back.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that it's the same in Europe and that the CDS there only says "Cayenne S" on the back.

The Hybrid and eHybrid are the same too where they just have the S designation on the back.
That is not universally correct
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
That is not universally correct
Odd. I thought I had seen "Hybrid" on the back of the few I've seen, but a quick image search was showing pics without it on the back and instead up front like the diesel logo.

Maybe they changed it mid run? Maybe the pics were mis-labeled and were really eHybrids? (not clear enough to tell and the calipers weren't visible)
Old 10-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I thought it was a great video
I actually did too. But the message rubbed me the wrong way in light of all of Porsche's inaction on this subject. Kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:49 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I actually did too. But the message rubbed me the wrong way in light of all of Porsche's inaction on this subject. Kind of talking out of both sides of their mouth.
I understand what you mean. But in general I would say Porsche commercials are well crafted. Same with their cars. Can't say that for their other departments much though....
Old 10-07-2016, 10:41 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Responding to another thread got me thinking.

There aren't really that many CDs out there (in the US) to begin with. So if we see a solid percentage returned in a buyback program and they never restart the line, could those that hang onto them be looking at a potential collector vehicle down the road?

My gut says no, but it was an interesting distraction to think about for a few minutes.

I can't quickly find numbers specific to the diesel, but 2012-2015 shows 66,731 Cayennes sold (note that 2012 and 2015 only contained partial years for the diesel) in just the US. Previously I've read that the diesel accounted for as much as 20% of Cayenne sales which would put our number somewhere around 13k and if we see similar buy back numbers to the 2.0l we'd be talking around 10k or so left without accounting for ones that are totaled.

Of course then there is the question of what will happen to those that are bought back. Will they be destroyed? Shipped off elsewhere? "Fixed" and returned to the market?

Just random nonsense to twist the noodle around on a Friday morning
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I can't quickly find numbers specific to the diesel, but 2012-2015 shows 66,731 Cayennes sold (note that 2012 and 2015 only contained partial years for the diesel) in just the US. Previously I've read that the diesel accounted for as much as 20% of Cayenne sales which would put our number somewhere around 13k and if we see similar buy back numbers to the 2.0l we'd be talking around 10k or so left without accounting for ones that are totaled.
I read somewhere Porsche forecasted and planned around 25% of sales on the Cayenne in diesel. Not too many of them around in inventory so the sell thru was as expected.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Responding to another thread got me thinking.

There aren't really that many CDs out there (in the US) to begin with. So if we see a solid percentage returned in a buyback program and they never restart the line, could those that hang onto them be looking at a potential collector vehicle down the road?

My gut says no, but it was an interesting distraction to think about for a few minutes.

Of course then there is the question of what will happen to those that are bought back. Will they be destroyed? Shipped off elsewhere? "Fixed" and returned to the market?

Just random nonsense to twist the noodle around on a Friday morning
Interesting thought- but I'm having a little trouble with the logic.
Assuming a buyback program would include an optional fix or a return. So that would make anyone holding on to an original CD in possession of an undriveable car (you would have to assume that part of deal would be to require the fix for a state re-registration. That would require us to park our undriveable cars in the hope that one day they'll be worth money.

I don't believe "fixed" CDs will be worth very much, but in their current configuration they certainly stand out in performance and economy.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:16 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Interesting article on VW's future. Case in point this specific portion of the article concerning diesels. Don't see diesels ongoing from VW at least in the US...so while the CD's built are here to stay looks like VW will decline any follow on act and move to electrics. Also sounds like they expect and are planning to decrease/lose US market share over this episode...especially given the cost of what this will eventually cost them with the fix to the 2.0L and buybacks and whatever the 3.0L solution will be.

"Putting a finer point on it, Woebcken repeated the notion that there’s little chance “diesel will come back to the same presence it has [even] now.” (VW will continue to offer diesel in other markets, where they’re more popular and/or haven’t been slapped with stop-sale orders.) Between now and 2020, Volkswagen plans to pivot toward affordable, low-compromise fully electric vehicles to lead its alternative-propulsion offerings."

Sorry gnat don't see any of this leading to Cayenne Diesels being sought after high priced/appreciating collectibles but more like a unique snapshot in time of the Cayenne model line with continued but somewhat accelerated depreciation.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswa...ws&date=100716

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue