Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:55 PM
BDZ
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGT
The journey may be long, but these cars are some of the most pure and visceral Porsche’s ever. IMO it’s worth the effort and time to find a good one.
The best part is running the VIN of cars that are listed for $115k+ today and finding the previous listing about 5 - 7 years ago for $70k. Kicking myself for throwing money away on a bunch of M cars. Hindsight is 20/20 i guess.
The following users liked this post:
rrichmondd (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:42 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

This car has been posted here before. Last time was my post # 4159 ...
.... no one here seemed to know anything about it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post16589681

I was traveling back from Virginia yesterday, and decided to take the eastern route & avoid Rt95 northbound & Washington DC mixing bowl. So I drove through LaPlata & Waldorf & decided to stop in and see this car...

https://www.amkoauto.com/auto/used-2...f-md/31524888/

As I walked up, there were about 5 different sales reps standing outside the building. All wearing masks. I could see them all immediately start bickering on who I belonged to. The one lucky winner jumped on me quick. I asked about the car, referring to it as "the GT3RS". He had no idea what that car was & asked which one, pointing to their vast lot of cars. I said: It is a Porsche 911 and it would probably be inside your showroom. "Not so" he replied, as their building is not big enough to allow for any cars inside. "Can I interest you in something on our lot?" .... Do you know if you still have this car someplace? "I have no idea. I do not know of that car". He asked a couple others if they knew. "maybe the owner has it at some other place".

Oh well. I was not willing to start driving around looking for some other lot they might have. Their website says "contract pending". VIN # WP0AC2A98BS783077 - 7,188 miles. Asking $169K.

no idea if there is a back story on that car.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:57 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Couple of reasons. These cars are 13 years old (997.1). Anything that is around for 13 years, especially driving around thousands of other people everyday is likely to have received some damage. Lots of these cars were used on track early on and still are today. This will lead to them having a clean carfax report but when you paint meter the car or get a PPI, finding damage. I also think that people back then were buying 997 GT3's for the purpose of driving more than collecting. People did still collect them but I think more were buying to drive and were not thinking about how to buy a GT car and then sell 6 months later to make money. It just seems like that is the case but maybe that was just as common back then. Also there are only 900 or so 997.1 GT3's that came to North America. So you're dealing with a small sample size of cars. The ones that you're going to see online aren't always going to be the best examples. There will be some great examples, but they also may be priced accordingly which tends to make people not want to purchase. As mentioned, you really need to find someone that knows these cars and then use them to help you find one if you want a quicker purchase at a realistic price. Figure out what kind of story (track time/paint work) you are or are not ok with and then start looking from there. Do you want a no paint work, no track time car with low miles for $90k, that may be more difficult to find than saying you're willing to pay $100k for that car, which would be something like the red GT3 Doug currently has for sale. Also keep in mind maintenance on these cars. It gets expensive quick if an owner did not keep up with maintenance and you are then having to start from fresh flushing all fluids, getting pads/rotors done along with pinning coolant lines and replacing other items while the engine is out, compared to finding one that is up to date on maintenance.

Best of luck with the search. They're very good cars, just need to find the right one and more importantly the right previous owners that took care of the car properly. As mentioned, some of the best cars do trade off market between individual owners or people like Switchcars or Merit that deal with these cars and sellers everyday.
Excellent explanation. I spent a long time (call it 2 years) looking for the perfect 997.1 myself. With so few examples to choose from it would have required traveling the country to source one. I passed on a couple locally and always kicked myself after hesitating. I decided to consult with Doug at Switchcars and he was able to get a deal done for me on a car that never hit the open market. He took care of everything from payment to setting up delivery. All I needed to do was wire the money and wait for the truck to arrive. This was in January 2020 and I haven't regretted that decision for once second. He is a straight shooter and knows these GT cars inside and out. Don't hesitate to call him. It's well worth it.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:04 PM
yoojeankim
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Congrats. If I had been in the market for a 997.2rs, that car would be on its way to my driveway :-)

I'd love to hear what all went into $100,000 of extra goodies! That is a lot of goodies.
Thanks! looks like others already mentioned below =]

Originally Posted by GM.RS
Congrats. You bought quite the car!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by drl
Congrats, beautiful car!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Looking forward to seeing another RS in Denver/Northern CO
i've been connecting again with some other folks! can't wait to see you out there

Originally Posted by nle
It's quite the car - Dundon full intake & exhaust power package, all preventative measures, 3 sets of Mooty e88s + 1 set of bbs monoblocks, Ohlin TTX, host of suspension goodies, and all stock parts. One heck of a machine!

Congrats to yoojeankim!! Glad it's staying in the RL community.
yes! pretty much the cake and icing & sprinkles =]

Originally Posted by nstymatt
Holy crap that's an insane list of stuff done.. Basically the entire catalog thrown at it. Steal at $185k. Any idea on mileage?

Originally Posted by WantA997
Congrats. I fell head over heels in love with that car (and Dundon) when I saw this video on Instagram a couple of years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcSkfTsjbfF/
haha i saved that clip! i love it
Old 07-31-2020, 05:46 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

The journey may be long, but these cars are some of the most pure and visceral Porsche’s ever. IMO it’s worth the effort and time to find a good one.
They finally posted pictures and a price for this 84k mile .1 GT3:
https://www.porschemonterey.com/used...0a036aedee.htm
Also a pumpkin .1 RS:
https://www.porscheofcoloradosprings...co-id-35623521

if folks here want some better pictures or my opine, I can oblige for GT3. I will say the dealer has history. I’ve dealt with them in the past for some stuff. Not ideal service-wise.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,091 Posts

Originally Posted by BDZ
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Realized the low production number was going to make it hard to find low mileage examples, but I was surprised to see how many under 10k GT3's already have paint work due to various causes. That's the one deal breaker for me. I'm also looking for a bone stock model (exception being exhaust). Good thing is my budget is realistic so that should help. I'm looking to trade in my e39 M5 and C4S towards the car so I'll probably end up having to go through a dealer. I'll keep switchcars in mind and will reach out to them at some point.
E39 M5 could be sold privately pretty easily or through Enthusiast Auto Group. Great driving cars. I really enjoy them. A lot of my friends own them as my friend owns an E39 M5 business.

As far as paintwork, are you avoiding due to the possible unknown? If it was documented as something cosmetic and not an accident figure out if you would be ok with that. My last C2S had paitnwork and I didn't like it, simply because I knew that come the sale, I would get questions about it. It's easier to sell a car without paintwork, but I think we may be one of the most particular groups when it comes to paintwork on cars. Porsche buyers really do not like it for some reason. Every other brand seems to look at a car and figure out if it looks good or not then purchase as long as there is not signs of accident damage. It's like over revs, normally you would do a PPI and maybe a compression test and if everything is good, you buy the car, but DME reports will make cars unsellable.

For modifications, I would say that finding one with just an exhaust should be easy enough, but I would not discount cars with small things like an upgraded steering wheel, that can be changed back, or something like grille screens. You can find stock models, but when you find the perfect car and have to spend $2k to get it back to stock, that's not a bad price to pay for an otherwise great car.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:01 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Anyone know anything about this car? Its local to me and I;ve been looking for a SY Car for awhile, going to pop in this week.

SY - 997.1 GT3 - ~30k Miles
WP0AC29917S793008

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4754/overview/
FWIW I checked this car out the other week and wanted to get the data out there

- Absolutely 0 Maintenance Records
- Coolant Lines have not been taken care of
- Driver Side Door was repainted
- Waterpump was on its way out
- Deck Lid also looked to have been repainted but couldnt confirm
- Has a LWFW but with a weird part number, looks to be 996 CUP and not the standard 997RS or RS 4.0 Mod
- Has a Fabspeed Exhaust
- Has clear bra covering 50% hood/fenders and 100% Bumper
- Has clear bra on mirror caps that is disgusting and needs to be removed ASAP
- Mismatched Center Caps on the Wheels
- Interior Lights all burnt out
- Steering Wheel / Shifter are super ratty

I spoke with the previous owner and the dealer was in around ~85/86

The car drove great so I can't knock it there; however I didn't put it on a lift or inspect it.

I decided to pass on the car because with all the minor things wrong with it, I couldn't feel confident nothing major wasn't going to pop up.

I'm sure this car could be a great driver if someone put in the time / effort to bring everything up to date, but the dealer wouldn't budge on price and I am still GT3less...
The following users liked this post:
Rambler_13 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

FWIW I checked this car out the other week and wanted to get the data out there

- Absolutely 0 Maintenance Records
- Coolant Lines have not been taken care of
- Driver Side Door was repainted
- Waterpump was on its way out
- Deck Lid also looked to have been repainted but couldnt confirm
- Has a LWFW but with a weird part number, looks to be 996 CUP and not the standard 997RS or RS 4.0 Mod
- Has a Fabspeed Exhaust
- Has clear bra covering 50% hood/fenders and 100% Bumper
- Has clear bra on mirror caps that is disgusting and needs to be removed ASAP
- Mismatched Center Caps on the Wheels
- Interior Lights all burnt out
- Steering Wheel / Shifter are super ratty

I spoke with the previous owner and the dealer was in around ~85/86

The car drove great so I can't knock it there; however I didn't put it on a lift or inspect it.

I decided to pass on the car because with all the minor things wrong with it, I couldn't feel confident nothing major wasn't going to pop up.

I'm sure this car could be a great driver if someone put in the time / effort to bring everything up to date, but the dealer wouldn't budge on price and I am still GT3less...
Going to put the VIN here too so that the above is quoted with the VIN. WP0AC29917S793008

All great info and thanks for sharing. With all of the above items, it's probably around $5-10k to get it up to spec if you wanted to add pinning the lines. Figure $2-3k for lines. Water pump will be $500 when the engine is out. $1k for the steering wheel if you wanted a new one and $200 for a new shifter. The clear bra is going to be $2k if you want it replaced and I would say interior lights could be done for sub $100. Center caps are probably $200 but that's a guess. Dealer doesn't have a ton of room in it at $85/86k. So I think they are going to hold onto it until they get a price near $90k that they're asking.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Going to put the VIN here too so that the above is quoted with the VIN. WP0AC29917S793008

All great info and thanks for sharing. With all of the above items, it's probably around $5-10k to get it up to spec if you wanted to add pinning the lines. Figure $2-3k for lines. Water pump will be $500 when the engine is out. $1k for the steering wheel if you wanted a new one and $200 for a new shifter. The clear bra is going to be $2k if you want it replaced and I would say interior lights could be done for sub $100. Center caps are probably $200 but that's a guess. Dealer doesn't have a ton of room in it at $85/86k. So I think they are going to hold onto it until they get a price near $90k that they're asking.

Thank you for that,

The little errors with the car honestly didnt bother me at face value, I was just more perplexed at some of them. If I had Clearbra on my mirrors that was covered with dirt on the inside and outside, I would replace it. If I lost a center cap, I would replace it with the right one and not a random Porsche one. I guess everyone is different and maybe this car is a peach that needs a little updating, but I didn't feel like finding out what other corners were cut through its ownership.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thank you for that,

The little errors with the car honestly didnt bother me at face value, I was just more perplexed at some of them. If I had Clearbra on my mirrors that was covered with dirt on the inside and outside, I would replace it. If I lost a center cap, I would replace it with the right one and not a random Porsche one. I guess everyone is different and maybe this car is a peach that needs a little updating, but I didn't feel like finding out what other corners were cut through its ownership.
Yeah I was going to mention the same thing but in case the previous owner was on here, I didn't want to mention that. Typically, you can tell a lot about a car on whether or not a lot of the small things were deferred or looked over. With all of those little things, it would make me try and find another car. One or two of those things is possibly ok, like the water pump, since some would wait until it has failed, but when I hear about the light bulbs, center caps, etc., that is a lot of small cheap items that should have been fixed by either the owner when he had the car or the dealer.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 PM
BDZ
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

E39 M5 could be sold privately pretty easily or through Enthusiast Auto Group. Great driving cars. I really enjoy them. A lot of my friends own them as my friend owns an E39 M5 business.

As far as paintwork, are you avoiding due to the possible unknown? If it was documented as something cosmetic and not an accident figure out if you would be ok with that. My last C2S had paitnwork and I didn't like it, simply because I knew that come the sale, I would get questions about it. It's easier to sell a car without paintwork, but I think we may be one of the most particular groups when it comes to paintwork on cars. Porsche buyers really do not like it for some reason. Every other brand seems to look at a car and figure out if it looks good or not then purchase as long as there is not signs of accident damage. It's like over revs, normally you would do a PPI and maybe a compression test and if everything is good, you buy the car, but DME reports will make cars unsellable.

For modifications, I would say that finding one with just an exhaust should be easy enough, but I would not discount cars with small things like an upgraded steering wheel, that can be changed back, or something like grille screens. You can find stock models, but when you find the perfect car and have to spend $2k to get it back to stock, that's not a bad price to pay for an otherwise great car.
I'm pretty sure I would be able to sell both of them fairly easily but they're enthusiast cars and figured a dealer would gladly take both on trade towards a GT3. The e39 is a great drivers car in a rare color with service history going back to new that I just picked up off BaT a couple of months ago, but not EAG quality (or price). I don't mind paintwork if it's done well on my "cheaper" car but I'm looking at the GT3 as a car I'm going to enjoy which hopefully retains its value (or gains) like the past few purchases I made. That's why I'm looking for the best, low mileage example I can find. Even though I go through cars fairly often, I have a feeling i'll be holding onto the GT3 for years. As far as why I'm avoiding any paintwork, it just happens to kill the value on any modern 911 I've seen, regardless of why it was done or the quality of the job.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

If you want a GT3 talk to Doug, also be ready to ****** it up when you find it.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

2011 GT3 listed at Copart. WP0AC2A96BS783501

https://www.copart.com/lot/44635910/...gt3-tx-mcallen
Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Found this interesting looking GT2:
https://www.cncexotics.com/details-2...28s796255.html
Looks clean on the surface and according to the Carfax. Looks like the wheels were painted by a previous owner and some carbon fiber bits were added also.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:11 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 469 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by BDZ
I'm pretty sure I would be able to sell both of them fairly easily but they're enthusiast cars and figured a dealer would gladly take both on trade towards a GT3. The e39 is a great drivers car in a rare color with service history going back to new that I just picked up off BaT a couple of months ago, but not EAG quality (or price). I don't mind paintwork if it's done well on my "cheaper" car but I'm looking at the GT3 as a car I'm going to enjoy which hopefully retains its value (or gains) like the past few purchases I made. That's why I'm looking for the best, low mileage example I can find. Even though I go through cars fairly often, I have a feeling i'll be holding onto the GT3 for years. As far as why I'm avoiding any paintwork, it just happens to kill the value on any modern 911 I've seen, regardless of why it was done or the quality of the job.
You could sell both of those cars here on RennList. If you take some decent pics and answer people quickly you can sell cars easily, IMO. A dealer will try and destroy you on your trade-ins.
Selling a car can be fun if you approach it with the right attitude. In the past I have sold my cars myself and done pretty well, but certain times I did not have the time and traded the car to a dealer and even though it saved me time, I got fleeced in retrospect. I negotiated a good "trade-in" value, thinking I got top dollar, but in reality if selling on my own I would have sold for significantly more money. It was easy, because I dropped off the car and was done, but you pay dearly for that convenience.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...