The following users liked this post:
vtgt (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:45 AM
LS-1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
I appreciate how many miles someone racked up on the .1 GT3
Agree. Depending on history, this could be a nice value pick up for someone interested in a refresh.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-1
Agree. Depending on history, this could be a nice value pick up for someone interested in a refresh.
I was told it was a track car that the dealer concerted back to stock for the sale. Def needs to be looked at. And $73k is high for an 80+mi car IMO.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:39 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GM.RS
Pretty cool. Might what to remove P's logo, they can get kind of litigious... I'm totally naive about 991's, but I thought production #'s were not ever released for them, but they're right there in the tool? For the 3RS in the US,..
991: 1248 991.1 + 1461 991.2 = 2,709
997: 411 997.1 + 541 997.2 = 952

I knew they made a bunch more 991s but I didn't realize it was ~2.8x.
I know this is probably posted elsewhere, but what was the worldwide production run number for the 7.2RS?
Old 07-30-2020, 11:50 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
I know this is probably posted elsewhere, but what was the worldwide production run number for the 7.2RS?
~1500
Old 07-30-2020, 11:52 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnGT
~1500
I seem to recall the number was less than that?? Obviously not sure or I wouldn't be asking
Old 07-30-2020, 11:56 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

It was 1106 for .1 RS and 1500 for .2 RS according to total 911.
https://www.total911.com/the-ten-rar...s-of-all-time/
bonehead (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 01:13 PM
LS-1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
I was told it was a track car that the dealer concerted back to stock for the sale. Def needs to be looked at. And $73k is high for an 80+mi car IMO.
After looking again think you have a point about the price tag. Outside of mechanical to-dos there are a few pricy cosmetic items that need to be addressed.Steering wheel and shift **** look beat in addition to the front bumper (and all the stuff you cant see...)

Wonder if it could go sub 70k.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:51 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS-1
After looking again think you have a point about the price tag. Outside of mechanical to-dos there are a few pricy cosmetic items that need to be addressed.Steering wheel and shift **** look beat in addition to the front bumper (and all the stuff you cant see...)

Wonder if it could go sub 70k.
The Carfax makes it seem like it was in a tire wall at some point. Says there was damage on the entire left side and some of the front and rear.
vtgt (07-30-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:09 AM
BDZ
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally in the market to trade my low mile C4S for a stock, low mile .1 or .2 GT3 and was wondering why it was so hard to find one that doesn't have some kind of story. Stumbling onto this thread made me realize I'm probably going to be looking for a while...
Old 07-31-2020, 02:10 AM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BDZ
Finally in the market to trade my low mile C4S for a stock, low mile .1 or .2 GT3 and was wondering why it was so hard to find one that doesn't have some kind of story. Stumbling onto this thread made me realize I'm probably going to be looking for a while...

I’m biased but believe these cars are well sought and held vs flipped for the latest GT3, especially the no-stories cars. Shameless plug for Doug at Switchcars - I just sold my 26k mi .1 GT3 basically for what I paid for it and bought a heavy spec 15k mi .2 GT3 with all my wishlist items including pinned lines and 5-lug conversion. Both are no stories, no paintwork cars. Some track time on both cars, but under 20 range ones on each. Neither car was advertised for sale. Two separate, unrelated transactions over a quick two months round trip from first call from Doug about my .1 to transport truck from the west coast at my door in Atlanta with the .2. That says something, actually says a few things.

Last edited by gerryros; 08-08-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,987 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by BDZ
Couple of reasons. These cars are 13 years old (997.1). Anything that is around for 13 years, especially driving around thousands of other people everyday is likely to have received some damage. Lots of these cars were used on track early on and still are today. This will lead to them having a clean carfax report but when you paint meter the car or get a PPI, finding damage. I also think that people back then were buying 997 GT3's for the purpose of driving more than collecting. People did still collect them but I think more were buying to drive and were not thinking about how to buy a GT car and then sell 6 months later to make money. It just seems like that is the case but maybe that was just as common back then. Also there are only 900 or so 997.1 GT3's that came to North America. So you're dealing with a small sample size of cars. The ones that you're going to see online aren't always going to be the best examples. There will be some great examples, but they also may be priced accordingly which tends to make people not want to purchase. As mentioned, you really need to find someone that knows these cars and then use them to help you find one if you want a quicker purchase at a realistic price. Figure out what kind of story (track time/paint work) you are or are not ok with and then start looking from there. Do you want a no paint work, no track time car with low miles for $90k, that may be more difficult to find than saying you're willing to pay $100k for that car, which would be something like the red GT3 Doug currently has for sale. Also keep in mind maintenance on these cars. It gets expensive quick if an owner did not keep up with maintenance and you are then having to start from fresh flushing all fluids, getting pads/rotors done along with pinning coolant lines and replacing other items while the engine is out, compared to finding one that is up to date on maintenance.

Best of luck with the search. They're very good cars, just need to find the right one and more importantly the right previous owners that took care of the car properly. As mentioned, some of the best cars do trade off market between individual owners or people like Switchcars or Merit that deal with these cars and sellers everyday.
jackb911 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 11:41 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Perfectly stated.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:27 PM
BDZ
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Couple of reasons. These cars are 13 years old (997.1). Anything that is around for 13 years, especially driving around thousands of other people everyday is likely to have received some damage. Lots of these cars were used on track early on and still are today. This will lead to them having a clean carfax report but when you paint meter the car or get a PPI, finding damage. I also think that people back then were buying 997 GT3's for the purpose of driving more than collecting. People did still collect them but I think more were buying to drive and were not thinking about how to buy a GT car and then sell 6 months later to make money. It just seems like that is the case but maybe that was just as common back then. Also there are only 900 or so 997.1 GT3's that came to North America. So you're dealing with a small sample size of cars. The ones that you're going to see online aren't always going to be the best examples. There will be some great examples, but they also may be priced accordingly which tends to make people not want to purchase. As mentioned, you really need to find someone that knows these cars and then use them to help you find one if you want a quicker purchase at a realistic price. Figure out what kind of story (track time/paint work) you are or are not ok with and then start looking from there. Do you want a no paint work, no track time car with low miles for $90k, that may be more difficult to find than saying you're willing to pay $100k for that car, which would be something like the red GT3 Doug currently has for sale. Also keep in mind maintenance on these cars. It gets expensive quick if an owner did not keep up with maintenance and you are then having to start from fresh flushing all fluids, getting pads/rotors done along with pinning coolant lines and replacing other items while the engine is out, compared to finding one that is up to date on maintenance.

Best of luck with the search. They're very good cars, just need to find the right one and more importantly the right previous owners that took care of the car properly. As mentioned, some of the best cars do trade off market between individual owners or people like Switchcars or Merit that deal with these cars and sellers everyday.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Realized the low production number was going to make it hard to find low mileage examples, but I was surprised to see how many under 10k GT3's already have paint work due to various causes. That's the one deal breaker for me. I'm also looking for a bone stock model (exception being exhaust). Good thing is my budget is realistic so that should help. I'm looking to trade in my e39 M5 and C4S towards the car so I'll probably end up having to go through a dealer. I'll keep switchcars in mind and will reach out to them at some point.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:40 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

The journey may be long, but these cars are some of the most pure and visceral Porsche’s ever. IMO it’s worth the effort and time to find a good one.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...