Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 10:18 AM
flipwils11
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for finding those pics from when it was new, very helpful to see and compare against how it sits now.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:21 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
You know leaving superficial things to be “fixed” probably in some ways psychologically makes guys think they can get a deal, esp since it’s presented poorly, which is a dangerous position when bidding on BAT.

It’s fun to watch PTS anything in the 997 even if I personally wouldn’t pay more for it, it’s crazy to me there are only 20 PTS 4.0 globally

this video was pretty telling when they had some premonition around the 997 value matching the older RS’s
PTS Arctic Silver 4.0
I never understood paying for PTS and then choosing a color like Arctic Silver, which is probably the most common color, after black, on all 997 carreras. There is nothing PTS or unique about it about. The RS 4.0 just happens to be the only variant of 911 Porsche didn't offer the color on so they get to charge you $10k to spray it the same color as the other 20,000 bodies they sprayed in the same factory for other 911s. I laugh every time I read "the only one...." and the differentiator is something so silly. If Ferry Porsche farted on the driver's seat of my GT3 during the assembly process, that would certainly make it unique and "the only one", but I'm not sure I would find it appealing.

Last edited by 8Lug; 10-27-2023 at 10:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 8Lug:
luv2race (10-29-2023), sirringo (10-28-2023), Steve Theodore (11-03-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:27 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't a member here own a rivi blue car and lived in Texas also? He had a bunch of 997's .
Old 10-27-2023, 10:42 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go-ran
Didn't a member here own a rivi blue car and lived in Texas also? He had a bunch of 997's .
Yes, this was Rudy Mencinas' (@mr993) car. Here is a pic of it from his collection. We were both after the red one in the middle, but he beat me to it.

Here are pics from when he painted the calipers and put on the wheels.

Last edited by 8Lug; 10-27-2023 at 11:11 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 8Lug:
arkaid (10-27-2023), GlenGT3 (10-28-2023), seis-speed (10-27-2023), TheDeckMan (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I never understood paying for PTS and then choosing a color like Arctic Silver, which is probably the most common color, after black, on all 997 carreras. There is nothing PTS or unique about it about. The RS 4.0 just happens to be the only variant of 911 Porsche didn't offer the color on so they get to charge you $10k to spray it the same color as the other 20,000 bodies they sprayed in the same factory for other 911s. I laugh every time I read "the only one...." and the differentiator is something so silly. If Ferry Porsche farted on the driver's seat of my GT3 during the assembly process, that would certainly make it unique and "the only one", but I'm not sure I would find it appealing.
People back in the old days picked PTS if there was no color on the palette they liked. Didn’t matter to them if it was unique they just ordered what they liked. That’s why there were a good amount of 997 GT cars in PTS colors that were offered on the common standard palette for most other models at the time. Such as these two examples of Guards Red and GT Silver. Lots ordering PTS nowadays are trying desperately to be a “1 of 1” or stand out from the dozen or so new GT3’s at cars and coffee.

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:59 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
People back in the old days picked PTS if there was no color on the palette they liked. Didn’t matter to them if it was unique they just ordered what they liked. That’s why there were a good amount of 997 GT cars in PTS colors that were offered on the common standard palette for most other models at the time. Such as these two examples of Guards Red and GT Silver. Lots ordering PTS nowadays are trying desperately to be a “1 of 1” or stand out from the dozen or so new GT3’s at cars and coffee.
Yes, understood. I have zero problem with ordering the color you want and paying up for it. However, I find it quite rich that Porsche calls it "paint to sample". What did they sample? The 5000 liters of paint already sitting in the paint shop?
Old 10-27-2023, 11:10 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Yes, understood. I have zero problem with ordering the color you want and paying up for it. However, I find it quite rich that Porsche calls it "paint to sample". What did they sample? The 5000 liters of paint already sitting in the paint shop?
Porsche “paint to sample” really isn’t a true paint to sample. Porsche’s base PTS is just an expanded color palette. They do offer a true PTS at great extra cost even over normal PTS. Nowadays it’s called “paint to sample plus”. You submit a color sample then they conduct a feasibility study to see if it can be done and do their best to match it. Costs an extra $23k over normal PTS which is already $14k-$20k depending on the model.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:21 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Porsche “paint to sample” really isn’t a true paint to sample. Porsche’s base PTS is just an expanded color palette. They do offer a true PTS at great extra cost even over normal PTS. Nowadays it’s called “paint to sample plus”. You submit a color sample then they conduct a feasibility study to see if it can be done and do their best to match it. Costs an extra $23k over normal PTS which is already $14k-$20k depending on the model.
That's my whole point. PTS has become a joke. It means nothing anymore except in rare cases where the color selected is truly unique. It used to be a true match to a customer's paint sample. Now it just means picking a regular Porsche color that for whatever reason does not appear on the standard palette for that specific model variant. It's no longer special. I read somewhere that something like 40% of new GT cars are PTS (of existing Porsche colors). That makes many standard colors that are less popular much more rare than some PTS colors.
sirringo (10-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 11:32 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by pputkowski
You guys are getting as bad as the Ferrari crowd. The last day-ish worth of comments are cringe-worthy. It’s a GT car after all. Calipers/wheels/seats/consoles are so minuscule.

Yea but black seatbelts, who likes black seatbelts? lol
jreifler (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 12:03 PM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 117 Posts

That's my whole point. PTS has become a joke. It means nothing anymore except in rare cases where the color selected is truly unique. It used to be a true match to a customer's paint sample. Now it just means picking a regular Porsche color that for whatever reason does not appear on the standard palette for that specific model variant. It's no longer special. I read somewhere that something like 40% of new GT cars are PTS (of existing Porsche colors). That makes many standard colors that are less popular much more rare than some PTS colors.
Bingo. IG accounts like ptsrs exacerbate this obsession, although I do like the time/effort Will puts into the content. When everything is special, nothing is.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:11 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 89 Posts

Last edited by Tombstone4478; 10-27-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:12 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 89 Posts

PTS is just like the word Xerox. everyone knows what it really is. no one is claiming it means one off colors anymore. its just a term that stuck. dont read into it too much. and until every buildable car is able to be built with that wide range of the colors, PTS will always be more desirable than non pts. and why has it become a joke? people love customization and variety of choices. would you feel better if it was just called "expanded color selection" and was still the same premium? why is it ok for bucket seats to increase value? anyone can throw them in a GT3.............but not anyone can color a GT3 in a rarer shade. no, PTS is not a joke. its brilliant marketing that makes a lot of money for Porsche all while making plenty of clients feel special. IMO of course
Old 10-27-2023, 12:20 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts

I was thinking the same, there are some buckets in marketplace I found and some trashed red wheels that could be re-powdered to the titanium, which would just leave the calipers, belts and steering wheel, pretty easy… I would take it back to full OE even the muffler.

But when it jumped past 190 already I realized it was going to crazy land and I should just watch
I have a set of back 997.2 GT3 OEM wheels i could sell.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:30 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts

Its certainly bringing people out of the woodwork, will be an interesting auction
Ryan Friedman looking to snag it and flip it for $275K after he sorts out the cosmetics ;-) This is a top of the market car for sure, just needs someone to go through it to get it to 100%.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:44 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
PTS is just like the word Xerox. everyone knows what it really is. no one is claiming it means one off colors anymore. its just a term that stuck. dont read into it too much. and until every buildable car is able to be built with that wide range of the colors, PTS will always be more desirable than non pts. and why has it become a joke? people love customization and variety of choices. would you feel better if it was just called "expanded color selection" and was still the same premium? why is it ok for bucket seats to increase value? anyone can throw them in a GT3.............but not anyone can color a GT3 in a rarer shade. no, PTS is not a joke. its brilliant marketing that makes a lot of money for Porsche all while making plenty of clients feel special. IMO of course
Did you read my comments? I said I'm all for people painting cars whatever color they want and paying up for it. It's a joke in the sense that it's so special when the PTS is a common 911 color. And yes, I would feel better if it was called "expanded color selection". I would sleep much better at night. Ok, enough with PTS. Let's get back to cars for sale.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...