39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

This weekend was fun. Great to meet all the rennlisters I see posting all the time. Especially the Greeks....

The track didnt seem to flow at first. There was hardly any grip for street R comps, like RA1, NT01, etc. Track absolutely loved slicks and R6's. Monumental difference! Also, track workers compounded the situation. Never seen so many red flags in my life. I added it up, and in our group along, lost about 45 min of track time. There was only 1 serious accident that warranted a red flag. The rest was all just spins. Really affected the weekend.

Best I did on RA1/NT01 combo was 2:29:00. I'm sure the Hoosier boys have plenty of video of me sliding around trying to get away. All in all, a great fun trip.

Would I go again? Maybe in a couple of years. In my opinion, if your located on the easy coast, it's good for 1 visit. Tracks like VIR, Road Atlanta, Sebring, etc are much better tracks.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
RS77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adding my two cents for what a superb track and facility COTA is. Great three days - I probably dont track my GT3 as much as some on this list but what a car - it takes an incredible beating and delivers such wonderful tactile reward and sound - that there was at least a dozen RS's at the track and a handful of 3's says everything about what a superb track car the 3 is.

I was 2.33 best on Pilot Sport Cups - i dont think i could get them to go any faster - maybe a second or so - the MPSC's are very slick when cold and only give three of four laps of peak performance on this track then get greasy. At that time, the tire is squaealing in every corner and the car moving around quite a bit - fun, but not going to go much faster. I think the Hoosiers are a couple of seconds faster.

COTA is a great combination of technical and speed. A couple of great straights - the front straight is the shorter of the two - with the uphill blind trun one turn-in - in the mornings you are looking right into the sun - think Dan Gurney at Le Mans in the Cobra - and cant see the apex. The 11-12 straight is slightly kinked right and doesnt seem as much like a straight but is a 5th or 6th gear run where you are topping 150 mph before the braking zone. There are a couple of very technical areas - the esses after one are Porsche hell - rapid direction changes - and the tight section after the 11-12 straight is one in which you can get the car to pivot and grind out of low speed corners with its huge rear end grunt.

The track has great flow and is really a place where you can imagine running in a rhythm over a number of hours. The GT3's sound superb on the echoing front straight.

Well worth a trip.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Automatic too?

Clearly this track favors horsepower over handling. I guess this will become a favorite track for those that enjoy horsepower to hide their poor driving skills.
I don't think that is true. Horsepower helps obviously, but there are many tight and technical sections of the track. The ZL1 can handle quite well for a nearly 4k piggy. I think it's a manual ZL1.

Lou has always been cool to me, but I don't know how he was coming across this weekend at COTA since I wasn't there (unfortunately.)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
This weekend was fun. Great to meet all the rennlisters I see posting all the time. Especially the Greeks....

The track didnt seem to flow at first. There was hardly any grip for street R comps, like RA1, NT01, etc. Track absolutely loved slicks and R6's. Monumental difference! Also, track workers compounded the situation. Never seen so many red flags in my life. I added it up, and in our group along, lost about 45 min of track time. There was only 1 serious accident that warranted a red flag. The rest was all just spins. Really affected the weekend.

Best I did on RA1/NT01 combo was 2:29:00. I'm sure the Hoosier boys have plenty of video of me sliding around trying to get away. All in all, a great fun trip.

Would I go again? Maybe in a couple of years. In my opinion, if your located on the easy coast, it's good for 1 visit. Tracks like VIR, Road Atlanta, Sebring, etc are much better tracks.
Did anybody get the red flag ballbusting like at Winterfest?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Did anybody get the red flag ballbusting like at Winterfest?
Haha. No scream fests this time. The flags were so random. Red flag for 5 min followed by 10 min black flag. But then next session, there would be a black flag for two turns, then all of a sudden green flag is waving.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

That guy was probably one of the most arrogant people I've met at a DE. Just ask fellow members on here. Don't care how many years of experience you have, cant have that attitude at a DE....
Nick being subtle as usual. We missed you guys..

Originally Posted by Drew_K
I normally wouldn't comment on things like this, but I noticed the same thing. Whoever was in that car pulled up almost next to me on a yellow flag lap, starting weaving back and forth to get my attention (I saw him coming already), and started honking at me to give him a passing signal. I refused because we were under yellow.
The the DE Cup, we'd send him home fast.

Originally Posted by tgavem
Car in front of COTA
That's just pretty!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
El Matador
Instructor

[quote=Drew_K;10194948]
That guy was probably one of the most arrogant people I've met at a DE. Just ask KYROCKS and 85GOLD. Don't care how many years of experience you have, cant have that attitude at a DE....
I normally wouldn't comment on things like this, but I noticed the same thing. Whoever was in that car pulled up almost next to me on a yellow flag lap, starting weaving back and forth to get my attention (I saw him coming already), and started honking at me to give him a passing signal. I refused because we were

Happened in red/intermediate as well. Gtr guys got a nice ripping during drivers meeting, and I witnessed a ford gt dive bomb a z3 into the trip-apex turn.

Had a great time at Cota and enjoyed meeting new rl's. We were pretty bummed to see Geisha retire (I still don't think it will happen). nothing like grabbing drinks at a packed lounge at the W and seeing Steve st John studying his videos in the corner...

Last edited by El Matador; 02-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 PM
dcrooke
Intermediate

+1 for handling .... I was surprised by how slow the Nissan was in a straight line compared to other things, but it was loving the carousel and the esses ... averaging around 148 mph at T12, but managed a 2:28 and that was a lap with mistakes (they all were

/ stock GT-R, street setup, used 295/680-19 Pirelli's

Last edited by dcrooke; 02-03-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: car setup
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Rene
Racer

Great meeting a few of you guys. I was in the white 27 Vette in green group. Should have some great videos to post soon.

Red flags were silly but they seem to be getting that sorted. Spoke to a SCCA corner worker they are trying to get the COTA official in control up to speed.

Track felt aukward at first seemed not to flow but by this morning it all made sence & I could tell there is way more time to make in the eases & 16-19 complex. Great to see so many GT3's in one spot. Also glad to see no Vette's oiled down the track for you guys.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default So you thought the Advanced groups were crazy ;)

[quote=El Matador;10195028]
Originally Posted by Drew_K

I normally wouldn't comment on things like this, but I noticed the same thing. Whoever was in that car pulled up almost next to me on a yellow flag lap, starting weaving back and forth to get my attention (I saw him coming already), and started honking at me to give him a passing signal. I refused because we were

Happened in red/intermediate as well. Gtr guys got a nice ripping during drivers meeting, and I witnessed a ford gt dive bomb a z3 into the trip-apex turn.

Had a great time at Cota and enjoyed meeting new rl's. We were pretty bummed to see Geisha retire (I still don't think it will happen). nothing like grabbing drinks at a packed lounge at the W and seeing Steve st John studying his videos in the corner...
Speaking as one of the aforementioned naughty GT-R drivers .... the red group was at best half Intermediate, half beginner. There were no point-bys to be had for love nor money on Friday. I will definitely to having had a bit of a case of the red mist over this, and in hindsight, if someone simply isn't checking their mirrors, or simply doesn't care to give point-bys, no amount of Manselling around behind them with your main beam on is going to help. I put it down to a combination of inexperienced DE participants and the awe of being at that track

On Saturday, John and I decided to do a pit lane pass every 3 laps to just avoid the traffic, but Mark's briefing seemed to have a positive effect on the mirror checking; Sat morning was remarkably better, and the mini-session strategy proved unnecessary.

It's really unfortunate that there was so much chaos, because Mark is a fantastic organizer ... I think a number of folks must have inflated their resume on him in order to get into the DE. I hope the track forgives him, and I doubly hope it is not scored as a negative against DE's in general.

I will say, despite early frustrations and a lot of red flags, it was still an epic and enjoyable weekend, and I hope everyone else agrees .... at least those whose cars came home intact

Amid all the crazy in red, there was also a pretty competent chap in a black GT3RS, I learned a few things from following him
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

[quote=dcrooke;10195162]
Originally Posted by El Matador

Speaking as one of the aforementioned naughty GT-R drivers .... the red group was at best half Intermediate, half beginner. There were no point-bys to be had for love nor money on Friday. I will definitely to having had a bit of a case of the red mist over this, and in hindsight, if someone simply isn't checking their mirrors, or simply doesn't care to give point-bys, no amount of Manselling around behind them with your main beam on is going to help. I put it down to a combination of inexperienced DE participants and the awe of being at that track

On Saturday, John and I decided to do a pit lane pass every 3 laps to just avoid the traffic, but Mark's briefing seemed to have a positive effect on the mirror checking; Sat morning was remarkably better, and the mini-session strategy proved unnecessary.

It's really unfortunate that there was so much chaos, because Mark is a fantastic organizer ... I think a number of folks must have inflated their resume on him in order to get into the DE. I hope the track forgives him, and I doubly hope it is not scored as a negative against DE's in general.

I will say, despite early frustrations and a lot of red flags, it was still an epic and enjoyable weekend, and I hope everyone else agrees .... at least those whose cars came home intact

Amid all the crazy in red, there was also a pretty competent chap in a black GT3RS, I learned a few things from following him
i have no issues with slower driver or slower cars if they understand the art of point by. after a lap, i start using my front bumper.....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rene
Great meeting a few of you guys. I was in the white 27 Vette in green group. Should have some great videos to post soon.

Red flags were silly but they seem to be getting that sorted. Spoke to a SCCA corner worker they are trying to get the COTA official in control up to speed.

Track felt aukward at first seemed not to flow but by this morning it all made sence & I could tell there is way more time to make in the eases & 16-19 complex. Great to see so many GT3's in one spot. Also glad to see no Vette's oiled down the track for you guys.
CotA is upscale, we have F430's for that
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 AM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, here's mine in the CRX from Saturday. Did not run video in the GT3 today. Sound sucks, so turn it down.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
LG running a 2:34 in a bone stock down to the tires Camaro ZL1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQjqyg0qaw
Who is that guy? Heard a lot of complaints about him if its the red camaro. I know at one point he parked his entire rig of front of the area where we come off track and blocked it. I was like, what the what?

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
Not so much.

The two long straights are balanced by the highly technical esses (irregular radii, on/off camber, blocked visuals, etc.) and the tight double 180's (13-15)followed by huge triple apex increasing radius sweeper (16-18). Well driven handling cars pick up tons of time in those sections, while the big power guys take charge on the two big straights.

I ran 2:33 in the CRX (210 hp, 1900 lbs) on Hankook RS-3's and 2:35's in my 7.2 GT3 on MPSS. The CRX did 135 mph on the back straight while the GT3 topped 150. Different solutions to the same problem.
CRX was quick. When are you going to post video/data on that lap? Surprised you were slower in the GT3. Especially since the tires were comparable.

Originally Posted by dcrooke
+1 for handling .... I was surprised by how slow the Nissan was in a straight line compared to other things, but it was loving the carousel and the esses ... averaging around 148 mph at T12, but managed a 2:28 and that was a lap with mistakes (they all were

/ stock GT-R, street setup, used 295/680-19 Pirelli's
Can we see the video/data on that? Nick did a 229 flat and i did a 231.1, both on R comps. Maybe we need to switch to Datsun if you beat both of us in a stock car on stock tires making mistakes

[quote=mooty;10195183]
Originally Posted by dcrooke
i have no issues with slower driver or slower cars if they understand the art of point by. after a lap, i start using my front bumper.....
Worst open passing manners ever. I've never seen anything like that before. 90% of the points were in the straights despite the option to pass in the corners. And even then there were some high hp cars parking it in the corners and flooring it in the straights.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
Ok, here's mine in the CRX from Saturday. Did not run video in the GT3 today. Sound sucks, so turn it down.

http://youtu.be/SULlPs8fuQQ
Great driving. Where's the data???

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list