Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
About a second based on the guys who have tested them and run them for seasons. But some people who just throw them on don't get that much, they can get the same time.

If you are putting them on for the first time, you might not even go as fast as the R6, they are really loose tires and then stick out of nowhere and take off flying.

Popp ran a 1:27.2 in that "TTS" car at Road Atlanta. Then the engine blew up pretty much immediately.

Those cars have much more than crazy aero, side exit exhausts, holes in frame, clutches with no flywheel that negate acceleration advantages of higher hp. ZR1 tranny's and that's just the tip of the iceburg. The cost to rebuild those cars not Corvette Prices anymore.

Plus they drive the heck out of them and have driven on A6's enough to tune them to nearly identical speed of slicks (at least for a 3 lap time trial).
YUP!!!

TTS w/ NASA is no joke and if anyone fast shows up at Sebring they'll knock down a sub 2.16.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Mike,

Your car would be TTS probably. You do take a hit for the PDK but get points back for over 3300# race weight so it would balance out to right around the 8.7# per hp so a 3500 race weight would be allowed 402rwhp Do you have the corner weights on your car or do like I have done go to a truck stop or dump and get your car weighed with you in it.

Peter
Cars PASM shocks are not height adjustable so it can not be corner balanced. rwhp is not 408hp that is crankshaft HP. I'd guess rwhp is probably around 360ish.
Pro driver on R888 and car can 2:26 at Sebring. I'd love to get into something like this but these TT cars I see are gutted non street cars. Mine is full interior street car.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BACK ON TOPIC THOUGH: What's with all the quiet from our Fla Porsche Reps? No bodies offering firm commitments or alternatives like Rad is. Weaksauce. I like the idea of June (other than the heat) if everyone was going to show up. (You know Lemons out of Lemonade style) and make it a gathering. Step up, go and get some hoosiers (or V710's if you're worried about longevity) and come party.

I'm starting to pull for Rad for coming into the lions den and slapping (a backhand slap) all the lions. Comon, it will be fun.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Rad wanted to bring his Fiat to the PNW, I know PJS and I would take him up on the challenge.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I think my Bose subwoofer and deviated stitching scared him off.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
If Rad wanted to bring his Fiat to the PNW, I know PJS and I would take him up on the challenge.
I would be psyched if rad came to the NW... I owe him.

I am still waiting for him to send me his scud for sale information sheet...

edit: hoosiers or better if you come to the nw BTW
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Page 19, guys still on the PIPE .... lord !
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Page 19, guys still on the PIPE .... lord !
Eddie, All the trash talk has been entertaining though! Im breaking in my motor right now... If the event happens in So Fla I will certainly attend. We still need to hookup to tune the 3.8... I should be ready in a few weeks.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Rad, I saw Izzone and the Greek saying they are in. Why you are saying otherwise?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE997.2RS
I said I was game for this weekend at HMS. My stock RS on MPSC's TTS against your Fiat in TTU. Then you would know how much quicker a good driver (ala Peter/ Randy/ Finn) with good mods is over a baseline RS w/ 400 whp.

You should smoke me by the numbers
This weekend I will be running on MPSC as well. I typically run 2 sessions on a type of tire, and another 2 sessions on a different type. I will be running A6 with 11 HC, and MPSC with 8 HC, so I can grab data from both tires.

It is going to be fun, because there only 26 cars in the TT run group, and we get lined up by lap times, low traffic.

The NASCAR 3/4 setup eliminates the only section I don't like at Homestead.

If there were 5 cars in TTU I would sign up for Hoosier contingency and run Hoosiers only, but there are only 3 cars registered. If we had 4 cars in TTU I would make everything possible to convince you to run in TTU.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Rad, I saw Izzone and the Greek saying they are in. Why you are saying otherwise?
Because if it not written, it doesn't exist.

Izzone, M3EvoMR, Trakcar, JP175, The Greek, Grady, GT3DE, Macul, Teo, Jenk, Senna, DeputyDog, whatup? Where and when are we doing this?

I'm in for Sebring in 3 weeks with NASA. I posted the rules above.

I only need the following:

"(insert your name here) accept the challenge as proposed by NJ-GT in post #200, to show the World my superior and vastly better driving skills, the performance and reliability of my Aero Beetle VS. the inconsistent, erratic, untrained and unreliable FIAT and its driver"

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Izzone, M3EvoMR, Trakcar, JP175, The Greek, Grady, GT3DE, Macul, Teo, Jenk, Senna, DeputyDog, whatup? Where and when are we doing this?

"(insert your name here) accept the challenge as proposed by NJ-GT in post #200, to show the World my superior and vastly better driving skills, the performance and reliability of my Aero Beetle VS. the inconsistent, erratic, untrained and unreliable FIAT and its driver"

Rad, throwin the gauntlet....come on aero beetles lets get it done.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously?

They would show up with detailing kits, bikini babes, Dolce shoes, Tri-Color leather jackets in this summer weather, ready have my car detailed, and waiting to see if I win the Cars & Coffee Trophy.

They would get confused if I explain that we are comparing my Fiat to the Aero Beetles at a racetrack, questioning why I'm doing this, and that my shiny paint finish would not last at the track, they'll try to talk me out.

They would question why I'm using a Scuderia and not a 458 Italia or 599 GTO that are the most advanced cars ever built.

They would advise me to put the car on Race mode and let the car do the driving.

No thanks, sometimes no-support is better than some support.

The good news, the crisis of 2008 brought a way different type of Fiat owners, and the momentum hasn't stopped. Plenty of them are Porsche guys, others are former Porsche guys, I'm somewhere in the middle thanks to VW Group.

Rad, check with NASA if they will let me drive on TT, and I'll sign up.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Now you gone and pissed me off....
Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

F'ing A, there it is!!!

Quick Reply: "Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge