Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max Power
if you can scan a key remotely with a laptop or other scanning device, all one would need to do is park near the elevator in a parking garage. you could be sitting in the back on a van. when someone parks a GT3 and walks past your van and while waiting for the elevator, you use your laptop or scanning device to scan the key in their pocket. by the time they get on the elevator, you have their codes.
Since I did not valet, this is possible.

Got a link to an actual use case?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oneyedjack
After the arrest of the dips%&t who has previous convictions for ARSON and is wanted in another state, I am AMAZED that there is still talk that the OP may have been involved.
I am used to it now
Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not possible. To scan a key immoblizer would require being within an inch or closer of the key for awhile. Sure you can RF scan 'all day' for unlock codes from key FOBs but you are not receiving anything from the immobilizer. You really need to have access to the key the way a valet might...hmmm.
+1 The only thing scanning would do is disarm the alarm on the car. But you'd still need the key to start it.

As a previous mechanical engineer, this mystery is intriguing....
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
BTW - I love the color of your car - maybe Ill get a PTS gt3 in your riviera blue...

Thanks, I'm pretty smitten with it also.

I think lots of guys would like to get their gt3's in riviera.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68228

See post # 23 on page 2.

See what I mean?

Good luck and have some fun with the shopping.

Phil
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

After the arrest of the dips%&t who has previous convictions for ARSON and is wanted in another state, I am AMAZED that there is still talk that the OP may have been involved.

So I present the following as a possible method for stealing the car WITHOUT the owner's consent.

A little background...Suncoast Porsche sells a replacement key head conversion kit. Basically a 996>>997 key conversion. If you look at the attached install guide, you will see the inside of a modern Porsche key. The black arrow in Figure 2 and Figure 4 point to the transponder 'pill'. This pill is part of the immobilizer system and is an electrical transponder contained in a glass pill. The transponder contains a code that is also programmed into the car's ECU at the factory. When the key is inserted in the ignition the transponder "magnetically couples" to the car and communicates its code. This code has to match the code programmed into the ECU. If it matches the car starts.

Now to the crime.....OP valets the car. The valet removes the transponder pill from the owner's key and sticks it in the car near the ignition key slot so that the owner's key will work normally. He also makes an immpression of the original key and then has a copy of the key cut. This new key will work because a working transponder pill is already in the car.

He gives the duplicate key to a dip**** colaborater, who simply drives off in car in 'less than 60 seconds'. Dip**** gets paranoid or scared when every other car at 3:30 AM has rollers and he is driving the only yellow Porsche in Clark County so he drives to desert and burns car.

At least its plausible.
+1 BUT, OP says that he always had possession of all his keys. This leads me to believe that the "magnetic" code can probably be defeated by having a variable magnet that you adjust while turning the key at the same time (and it would unlock the steering column and start the car once the correct setting is found). But then again, this would also assume that the thief had gotten an imprint of the OP's keys to begin with. Of course, this wouldn't be too hard to do since all you need is a clay bar, fold it in half with the key sandwiched and you just made a mold.

But like I said in my previous post, this is almost like a puzzle we need to get solved!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Has the insurance company settled the claim? If not, did they give you a time limit and provide a rental?

I am used to it now
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I predict this will become Rennlist's all time most viewed and posted thread....ever. I just hope the OP is in his new GT3 before that happens.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I predict this will become Rennlist's all time most viewed and posted thread....ever. I just hope the OP is in his new GT3 before that happens.
It's got a ways to go before it catches the hit it thread.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Has the insurance company settled the claim? If not, did they give you a time limit and provide a rental?
In the last month, the prices of a 997.1 gt3 have recently dropped by about 10k. Mostly due to 2010's coming out.

At the time of my theft the .1 was going for 100 to 115 (extremely optioned car.)

Now you can find it out there for 85k (a stripper) and low 90s.

It should hopefully wrap up today.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I have a decent shot of getting one before then
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In the last month, the prices of a 997.1 gt3 have recently dropped by about 10k. Mostly due to 2010's coming out.

At the time of my theft the .1 was going for 100 to 115 (extremely optioned car.)

Now you can find it out there for 85k (a stripper) and low 90s.

It should hopefully wrap up today.
I wouldn't agree with the $10k drop. I could have bought three different, very low mileage gt3's, well optioned in the upper eighties. Numerous ones were priced in the $90's. These were CPO quality cars -not CPOed but I had the option at more cost of course. This was in March. There are just more available now.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't forget to post herein how the bad guy did the theft.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
rvklein
Racer

any update?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Armand
+1 BUT, OP says that he always had possession of all his keys. This leads me to believe that the "magnetic" code can probably be defeated by having a variable magnet that you adjust while turning the key at the same time (and it would unlock the steering column and start the car once the correct setting is found). But then again, this would also assume that the thief had gotten an imprint of the OP's keys to begin with. Of course, this wouldn't be too hard to do since all you need is a clay bar, fold it in half with the key sandwiched and you just made a mold.

But like I said in my previous post, this is almost like a puzzle we need to get solved!
Not a magnetic code, but a digital code transmitted wirelessly. Early on in thread someone posted technique -- sans the real nitty gritty details -- on how one properly equipped and motivated could "steal" one's RFID pill ID and then later at car transmit this to fool car's security system into thinking a legitimate key was being used to start the engine. Mechanically the key can be cut to fit the lock to turn the ignition switch and with the spoofed RFID the engine can be started.

All it takes is someone who knows how and wants the car bad enough.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED