Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Rob I was worried!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Rob do you have children? Have they ever done stupid stuff you dont have a clue why they did it?
My son discharged my fire extinguisher in the back yard. For NO reason. Both the kids (both boys)
played hockey in the living room with baseball bats and took out my 60 gallon saltwater reef tank.
Why?
Oh that's great to hear ............ I've got five (5) boys under my roof .......... 12, 10, 8, 6, 1 ........
God knows ..... paybacks are a bitch after what I put MY father through ! ! !
Old 08-11-2009, 01:30 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, my brother's brand new z28 was stolen out of our driveway years ago, sucks.
You need a lawyer stat!
These cars can be stolen, car thieves are a lot more creative than you think. There have been several 07-09 porsche's stolen in the NYC are this yr alone. The cops are just trying to flush out an easy answer to their case. No lie detector, to talky without atty.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl

What would be neat is if a car could page you when a window is broken or anything gets 'disturbed'.
wont work. i had the best clifford in the 80's, it pages me if any sensors are violated.... i lost my $900 kenwood.

i used to install alarm in HS. there is no system back then that i can't kill off within 3 min.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

the ford GT was supposed to do that. Kept calling Clarkson while he was driving it to tell him it was stolen.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW - Sorry for your loss. I have been through a similar experience and it is quite painful to go through it. It was an Acura MDX though not a GT3.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could start installing the James Bond self detonating car protection device that he utilized when the bad guys tried to jack with his car?! You know...the one that just blows the car up into a fireball!!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Given the electrics in a Lotus Esprit Turbo...always thought that was quite...ahh confident.

FYEO
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ocspeed
Up until recently I was in Vegas since '96 and spent part of that time working hotel security. Never heard of anything like this happening.

Especially to a car that stands out so much and requires specialized tools to steal

Even for criminals their work is based on risk / reward. Doesn’t make too much sense why they would go through all the trouble of stealing it only to burn it. There is no payoff in that for a thief and a ton of risk.

I will stay tuned to see how this all unfolds
In a nutshell that is why the cops think I did the deed.
Still waiting for any video evidence.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
wont work. i had the best clifford in the 80's, it pages me if any sensors are violated.... i lost my $900 kenwood.

i used to install alarm in HS. there is no system back then that i can't kill off within 3 min.
Why cant it page immediately?

I guess it could result in a lot of false positives.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
the ford GT was supposed to do that. Kept calling Clarkson while he was driving it to tell him it was stolen.
lol
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Why cant it page immediately?

I guess it could result in a lot of false positives.
i guess you haven't stole things before?
i do, you know in HS, since i am ugly, i got to have other skills to impress the girls. i dont want to goto prom alone.
the pager is beep immediately. but it only takes my crew about 30 seconds to pull out DIN units. the skilled workers take about 12 seconds to get the unit out.

security systems are for "gentlemen" thieves.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 278 Posts

LOL - awesome points.

I dunno if I can swing another gt3. There are plenty out there, but the costs have gone up, the residuals have gone down allot and the interest rates are not so hot.

Triple whammy
Crispenigl - I am contemplating "selling" (Swapalease) my 2007 with 8.5K miles, CPO car, 3M, nice options - $117 original MSRP, no stories. Working too much to get to the track these days

30 months left on lease, 58K residual with Porsche Financial, 10K per year.

Email or PM with details if anyone's interested - easiest way to a GT3 these days on a budget, per this discussion, is to assume the lease.

it's not speed yellow, but hey .2 the launch car is Guards!!

Chris
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This is a horrible story, please let us know how it turns out...

Stories like this make you really realize that fact that most cops are pieces of $hit. I'm so sorry your having to deal with those kind of people along with a stolen car.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 AM
997for40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following this thread and I feel your pain but I'll play devil's advocate here for a second. I used to work for an insurance company in the fraud department and I understand how they work. The business of insurance is only good when you're paying premiums, when it comes time to claim damages/loss thats a whole different story.

The car can be stolen as the previous post/article but what's puzzling is that why go to the trouble of torching it. If this car was indeed stolen, I'm sure kids are not involved, mostly syndicates specializing in euro exoticsand shipping it overseas ala "gone in 60 seconds" There's no way a thief will strip a car like this and sell it for parts like a Honda or Toyota.

Also, I noticed the OP mentioned he's been car shopping. I would refrain from posting in a public forum like this one about shopping for a new GT3 even though the claim is not settled yet and being investigated by law enforcement , to an investigator this doesn't look good.

This is just my opinion and you need excellent legal representation to battle your insurance company. With this bad economy, the last thing they want is to pay up.

Good luck..

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED