Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Here's a question since somebody here brought up a salvage/flood car. This place called "The Group" in S. Carolina makes a business out of selling cleaned up flood/wrecks and shows very nice pictures https://www.thegroupinventory.com/

I've seen members here find the original salvage pictures, probably from Copart https://www.copart.com/ and they don't look good. These dealers say things like "The water only came up to the lug nuts"

There's a place that will give you the access to auction results called autoauctionhistory.com https://autoauctionhistory.com/ Has anybody here used it? What does it cost? Or is there another source to get the real "nitty gritty" pictures and description?
Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

You’d have to be clueless to buy a flood car. Do you really think the insurance companies are stupid? Greedy, yes. Stupid, no. A flood damaged car will never be right. Never. Just for kicks, check out the recent Car Trek series from Tavarish , Hoovie and Ed Bolian.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
You’d have to be clueless to buy a flood car. Do you really think the insurance companies are stupid? Greedy, yes. Stupid, no. A flood damaged car will never be right. Never. Just for kicks, check out the recent Car Trek series from Tavarish , Hoovie and Ed Bolian.

https://youtu.be/Dom6bmnd_Dc

I'd never buy one. I don't even buy high-mileage. But others have brought it up, and get told stories all the time by unscrupulous sellers. If there was a way for them to see the TRUTH from Copart auction pictures that can possibly save some Rennlist newbies some grief.

Many many many years ago I bought a salvage title BMW 325ES that had been hit in the side-rear. About a year old, basically new. Looking back at what I paid, and how I got rid of the car later, it worked out for me, because I researched the up and downs of THAT car. A flood car? I don't think I would ever do it. But seeing a Copart auction picture could be a case of being "Scared Straight" to a newer car guy
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

duplicate post
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug H
This car was discussed on here about 3 years ago when for sale in Chattanooga area and I believe some even looked at it. Seemed like a basket case back then and that the price kept going lower and lower and lower on before it finally disappeared. Tempted some on here, but perhaps PPIs or in person inspections scared them off. I cannot recall for sure, but it was in this thread.

Perhaps someone got it sorted out since then, perhaps not. Cars like this can end up costing way more than the premium low mileage cars.
Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS

https://youtu.be/Dom6bmnd_Dc
Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I'd never buy one. I don't even buy high-mileage. But others have brought it up, and get told stories all the time by unscrupulous sellers. If there was a way for them to see the TRUTH from Copart auction pictures that can possibly save some Rennlist newbies some grief.

Many many many years ago I bought a salvage title BMW 325ES that had been hit in the side-rear. About a year old, basically new. Looking back at what I paid, and how I got rid of the car later, it worked out for me, because I researched the up and downs of THAT car. A flood car? I don't think I would ever do it. But seeing a Copart auction picture could be a case of being "Scared Straight" to a newer car guy
There's are some very specific reasons one could justify buying that car (for like $20K or less)...
-LS Swap
-winter beater (better than a used Golf GTI!)
-dedicated track build.
-997.2 Safari build for the country home!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:19 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 2012 Turbo

Don't see this very often. A 2012 Turbo that has been repainted from black to white. No affiliation here, just seemed interesting.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...097906546.html
Old 04-07-2020, 11:43 AM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-targa4s
Don't see this very often. A 2012 Turbo that has been repainted from black to white. No affiliation here, just seemed interesting.

and a manual! Very rare!
Old 04-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by JT77
and a manual! Very rare!
Originally Posted by 911-targa4s

Wow! $155K build. Very nice enthusiast spec. for the price of GTS.
Bose is about all I see missing...
great candidate for a daily driver at that price/mileage.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Abe Froman

Yea but jeeez who paints a black car white? It's crazy. To do it right would be so expensive. If it could even be done. Very strange listing. One of the strangest ever.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Yea but jeeez who paints a black car white? It's crazy. To do it right would be so expensive. If it could even be done. Very strange listing. One of the strangest ever.
I prefer white instead of black. I'd take it one step further and throw on a set of white Sport Classic Fuchs like these.

...or white Sport Design 10 spokes
prost893 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 AM
SP2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Right now I don't know if anyone is doing a panicked selloff of their 997.2. Most Porsche owners don't work at restaurants. They may not have to sell, and there's always been, and always will be car buyers with money. 997.2 are low production since they were made during the last financial hiccup.

Some people will take some hits, others may profit from this crap.
Probably not. But I'm sure there are Porsche owners who OWN restaurants. And same goes for travel. Probably not a lot of maids who own Porsches. But there are people who have 6 figure incomes that work for airlines who will not have a job for a while. Chrysler laid off 2000, highly paid white collar employees. many more examples. Plus all the tech IPO money that used to fund Porsches is gone. It's a lot more nuanced than just busboys at restaurants losing their jobs.
Adams (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:58 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I prefer white instead of black. I'd take it one step further and throw on a set of white Sport Classic Fuchs like these.

...or white Sport Design 10 spokes
Do you happen to know where I can get wheels like these in 19in?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

It does have Bose. Bose is standard on 997 turbos. Definitely the cheapest 997.2 turbo 6MT I have ever seen. The color change seems to be putting a big hurt on resale. I can't speak to the quality of the paint, but if you were ever going to do a color change (or buy one), it's best to start with a black car as you can get away with not painting difficult areas (like inside and engine bay), and it doesn't look out of place. They say it had a left front fender issue, but the side skirts and rear lip appear to be the non-painted raw plastic. Strange that they would paint the front lip white, but replace the side skirts and rear lip with unpainted pieces instead of painting the originals which were factory painted, unless of course the painted originals were damaged. The build sheet also shows "XD9 wheels paint in exterior color", but the wheels on the car look to be typical dark gray Turbo IIs, not black. Seems to me, it might have run over something at speed, like a curb, damaging the wheels and skirts along with the fender. I'd be curious to see what it looks like underneath.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:25 PM
prost893
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Do you happen to know where I can get wheels like these in 19in?
Here's a couple options. These are such cool wheels.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU19SCWHEEL.html
https://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/produc...wheels-silver/
Old 04-08-2020, 06:47 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by prost893
I like the 2nd link but they are only 17in. The 1st link are nice but I want the fans (spokes) to be a bit wider at the end. I think what I'm looking for has to be custom made cause I haven't seen them on the market.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)