Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 308 Posts

I started at 47.5 and got a 46k offer the next day with shipping/holding the car and a 45k offer to pick up in a few days with no hassle. I took the latter.

I would start at 49.5k and expect to wind up between that and 45k. That would've been an easy sale a few weeks ago - today people are way more spooked to make such purchases I think. Who knows.

I did it through Cargurus.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:12 PM
nbzxdk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I paid $45,500 ($43,500 if you deduct the freebees) for my 2009 C4 with similar mileage and options (silver), private party. I would think that $45k would be a reasonable price, given a 2012 (worth more), black (less desirable typically speaking; you will find black cars turn a lot of people off in the 997 world for some reason, having tried to sell an otherwise desirable one), and C2 Black edition (which I don't think carries a premium over a regular C2). Maybe in a normal market you could get $48k; not sure though.

I would start at $45k and see what happens; there aren't many buyers, and you might not get more than $40k right now. $55k would be more than a dealer could get in this current economic climate. Unfortunately, cars aren't liquid and manual 997.2 models don't "always go up in value" unlike what some people say here. I was shocked over the past few months on this thread when some posters were optimistically saying "this manual 997.2 XXX is a good deal" when it was clearly bubble pricing. In fact, anyone buying a car right now because it is a "good deal" is likely to be victim to the "never try and catch a falling knife" metaphor. Nobody knows how bad things will be or what the market will bring. I would hold off. I remember Audi prices crashing in 2015 due to the VW scandal; people were pricing the cars as if Audi was the next Saab. Prices recovered a few months later.

Best of luck to you.
Originally Posted by mujeriega
I agree, in this market, you're not going to get anywhere near 55... even with 10k fewer miles (worth about another $2.5-3k usually). I think the # from hex is a good benchmark especially if you're actually trying to sell it.
Originally Posted by hexagone
I started at 47.5 and got a 46k offer the next day with shipping/holding the car and a 45k offer to pick up in a few days with no hassle. I took the latter.

I would start at 49.5k and expect to wind up between that and 45k. That would've been an easy sale a few weeks ago - today people are way more spooked to make such purchases I think. Who knows.

I did it through Cargurus.
Thanks for all your responses, really appreciate that! Will you say that the existing CPO warranty on the car makes a difference?

I could certainly wait until the market warming up again and then try to sell the car. That being said, I might also try to just keep the car for long term.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:34 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I am/was looking for a 6spd C2/4/C2S/4S 6spd which is why I'm lurking here but when I see $55-60k C2/4's I don't think I would ever even consider paying that and especially now when maybe large purchases should be quite considered. If that is the market for a base car, I will do without.

I am also in the camp that I would never buy a black car after owning one previously. Never again!

G
Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
I am/was looking for a 6spd C2/4/C2S/4S 6spd which is why I'm lurking here but when I see $55-60k C2/4's I don't think I would ever even consider paying that and especially now when maybe large purchases should be quite considered. If that is the market for a base car, I will do without.

I am also in the camp that I would never buy a black car after owning one previously. Never again!

G
It's been a few months since I was looking last but a 997.2 C2 base 6 speed should be able to be had for under $50k, and really closer to $40k.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
It's been a few months since I was looking last but a 997.2 C2 base 6 speed should be able to be had for under $50k, and really closer to $40k.
Anything is possible in this market now, but I have seen 50k mile 997.2 C2 cabs with pdk in the $40k range not too long ago. Go to Cars.com and run a search, narrow to manual and arrange by price.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:26 PM
nbzxdk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Anything is possible in this market now, but I have seen 50k mile 997.2 C2 cabs with pdk in the $40k range not too long ago. Go to Cars.com and run a search, narrow to manual and arrange by price.
I search cars.com quite often and just did another one; things in the filter are: 2009-12, coupe, manual, under 50k miles. As a result, I barely see any car being advertised for under $50K.

Below is a screenshot of the search I just did few minuets ago: the first one is 45K but it had an accident before; anything has a clean Carfax history is priced around 60K and plus. I am really baffled..

Old 03-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

I think the high-end boutique prices for the S models has now carried down to the base models too. Though I will say the mileage on the second two are so low that they are REALLY good collector-category options, though I think $60k is insane for a base even at 18k miles. But if that's what the market will support right now then that's what it's worth. I think due to the current world financial situation, probably not many people are looking to move cars right now which is causing the supply to dry up. Everyone wants to wait a bit longer to see what's going to happen. Supply will increase if the market gets to the point where people are hurting for money and are forced to sell their toys/collectibles, and of course, if the market gets that bad, prices will be down because there won't be people as many people looking and able to purchase a car like this. Bottom line: Keep looking but I'd wait and base on prices just a couple months ago which is $40k-$50k for a base and a $50k to $60k for an S (both assuming clean carfax, 6MT, coupe).

Old 03-20-2020, 01:01 AM
admranger
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Newb here and I find this thread very helpful. I am also amazed by the civility. Other forums I visit usually would have had one or two inflammatory comments about over or under paying.

I’ve been with a different German marque since 1994 but I am tempted by the offerings from Porsche. When I buy it’ll be my retirement car. Right now I’m in the learning mode and I really wanted to thank folks in this thread for the good info I’m gleaning. Also nice to see familiar names from other hobbies of mine like Kevin from Upscale.

So no useful content other than a thank you to all.

cheers!
The following 4 users liked this post by admranger:
Kineticdg (03-20-2020), prost893 (03-24-2020), Ratchet1025 (03-20-2020), Vincent713 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I was looking at some of the Ryan Friedman cars on Gurus and it appears if they have made pretty large price cuts on most of their cars I looked at in the last 7 to 10 days so it may be time to hit them up if anyone is looking to score some high quality, great build, 997, 991 and Turbo manuals in mint condition. Price cuts were in that $5,000 to $10,000 range just in last week or so.
ryan will have to cut prices a lot more than that to get the prices down to normal retail pricing
The following users liked this post:
FORENN (03-21-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 07:57 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Grab a bag of popcorn, you're in for a serious price drop in the next few weeks/months.
Economy is tanking with almost everybody working from home or just not working, soon enough people will be getting rid of their toys for fifty cents on the dollar.

Originally Posted by admranger
Newb here and I find this thread very helpful. I am also amazed by the civility. Other forums I visit usually would have had one or two inflammatory comments about over or under paying.

I’ve been with a different German marque since 1994 but I am tempted by the offerings from Porsche. When I buy it’ll be my retirement car. Right now I’m in the learning mode and I really wanted to thank folks in this thread for the good info I’m gleaning. Also nice to see familiar names from other hobbies of mine like Kevin from Upscale.

So no useful content other than a thank you to all.

cheers!
Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtsedaka
Grab a bag of popcorn, you're in for a serious price drop in the next few weeks/months.
Economy is tanking with almost everybody working from home or just not working, soon enough people will be getting rid of their toys for fifty cents on the dollar.
I’m certainly not rooting for bad things to happen but fear you may be correct David.

One thing I am certain of is that prices for toys won’t be going up in the near term.
Carrera991 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtsedaka

Sweetwater...the largest on-line seller of MI goods (Music Industry) is experiencing a big uptick in sales since last week. I was ready to jump to my death last Tuesday, but yesterday we had our second-largest day ever in our 25-year history. On a Friday, Our slowest day. Plus my retail location is closed.

No doubt walk-in biz will be way down for cars dealers, and the economy is going to take a hit, but if you avoid the bullsh*t reporting of some news outlets fighting for eyeballs and remember the Spanish Flu of 1918 was over in a year. And that includes a period where it went quiet when it first arose in Kansas (where it originated). The only reason it got the Spain name was because they had free press where it could be reported openly. Hence my desire to leave the TV off.

Yes, we will take a hit. Yes, we are resilient. I'm doing what I can to help people that are out of work by gifting a couple close friends out of work and supporting those places that CAN'T work. My wife canceled her hair/nail/ whatever women do appointments but we'll pay them anyway. Others are doing the same. This is a time to pay back since I've been so lucky. Even if business tanks for a while I'll dip into my retirement to pay employees. Not sure if it will.

Ironman88 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 249 Posts

^^^ I can only share my personal experience selling a very nice Euro 911SC this month March 2020. Listed it on the Bird. The sale took twelve days, received four offers. It sold for 50% more than I paid for in January 2016. Good cars sell even in this environment! The the car has been paid for and picked up. The buyer is happy, I’m satisfied with the result.

BTW: The reason for the sale, clearing out a few cars to add another halo car, if and when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:53 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nbzxdk
Thanks for all your responses, really appreciate that! Will you say that the existing CPO warranty on the car makes a difference?

I could certainly wait until the market warming up again and then try to sell the car. That being said, I might also try to just keep the car for long term.
Not really; it might make the purchase easier (giving the buyer more confidence) but doesn't add to value.

This isn't a great time to wait, but nobody knows if next year will be better. We could bounce back, but CV could come right back when restrictions are released, and these protective measures could throw our economy right into an extended recession or worse. Now might be your best time! Nobody knows. I haven't heard enough conversations about what will happen if we are just postponing the inevitable infection of 1/2 or more of the population, and by kicking the infection can down the road while shutting down the economy to do so, are adding potential financial ruin to the mix.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I would pay more for a car covered under a CPO. First, you know the car will be mechanically sound/sorted. PPIs do not catch all repairs needed and most are absolute bunk except for the super obvious. How many times have you had those difficult to duplicate, intermittent problems? Second, a warranty has and adds some value.

If you have two exactly the same cars, but one comes with CPO and one doesn’t . . . which would you get?

Based on my experience with CPO and non CPO cars, I think and would pay 3% or more for the CPO car versus a comparable non covered car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug H:
admranger (03-21-2020), mjsporsche (03-21-2020), Porsch (03-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)