Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
They may have had too much in it to deal at the time and/or perhaps car had needs that showed up on PPIs.

Decent 997.2s were going for dang near retail at auction in 2019 and Manhiem wholesale would have been around same price. So let’s just assume they purchased for upper $60s, They then have shipping and pack costs. Add to that any costs or repairs to sell car and they could easily have low $70s in the car.

The only way to get a sound car like this at a decent cost in 2019 was to take it in on trade, not auction or wholesale. The wholesale/auction market for quality liquid cars was a blood bath in 2018 and 2019. Used car dealers relied upon back end money for their profits. New car dealerships get their pick of lease cars and a constant flow of trade ins.

The car was listed for sale by Ferrari of Newport for a few days and this is certainly the type of car an Alfa Romero dealership would have wanted to sell if it was a decent car that needed nothing. Just because they only have used Ferraris right now at this moment doesn’t mean they never sell other brands, even with limited space. They are in business to make $$$s and will do so if profit is there.
If they did offer it for sale it was a fast trip to Cali and back and a dumb move.

Ferrari Newport Beach puts it up for sale on 1/8/19 with 30,961 miles

it's sold by the Alfa dealership in San Diego on 1/12/19,

It gets smogged 1/16/19, and serviced on 1/17/19 in Pennsylvania

Driveanything.com puts it up for sale 1/19/19. They took title on it 2/4, and had a PA road inspection done.

The dealer has it listed now with 31,863 miles.

The only thing that makes sense is they didn't care much if it sold as an executive was driving it for a few months.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
If they did offer it for sale it was a fast trip to Cali and back and a dumb move.

Ferrari Newport Beach puts it up for sale on 1/8/19 with 30,961 miles

it's sold by the Alfa dealership in San Diego on 1/12/19,

It gets smogged 1/16/19, and serviced on 1/17/19 in Pennsylvania

Driveanything.com puts it up for sale 1/19/19. They took title on it 2/4, and had a PA road inspection done.

The dealer has it listed now with 31,863 miles.

The only thing that makes sense is they didn't care much if it sold as an executive was driving it for a few months.

Lol, brother.it doesn't really matter. I just said something strange about the car. It could have been in California for a month or so before it was put up for sale in California or it could have been in Mexico or Canada or Patong the whole time and people were just listing a car for sale for sale they had never seen.

I do think these guys are upside down at $69k at this point. There are a lot of dealers probably siting on GTSs with more money tied up in them than they could hope to get back out now.

Last edited by Doug H; 03-29-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Lol, brother.it doesn't really matter. I just said something strange about the car. It could have been in California for a month or so before it was put up for sale in California or it could have been in Mexico or Canada or Patong the whole time and people were just listing a car for sale for sale they had never seen.

I do think these guys are upside down at $69k at this point. There are a lot of dealers probably siting on GTSs with more money tied up in them than they could hope to get back out now.
I reached out and asked in case anyone here is interested in buying it. They got it from an Alfa dealer in Maryland. I copied what they said below.

As to value, if it's nice $69k is reasonable under normal circumstances. Today? Not sure who's buying. My business had a 10% uptick this week including some big-ticket stuff, but that could be due to people being locked up and PLUS we had some really great buys. In times like this people want value: They also want a diversion from CNN.. I for one wouldn't be car shopping. This could be a time of some forced humility.

"Hi Kevin,

That’s very strange because I purchased the car from franchise dealership that was a trade on an Alfa Romeo, but it was in Maryland. No time was the car in California, the only assumption I can make is perhaps there’s a correlation or affiliation with the dealership in California?

Occasionally we do get calls from them on trades as they know we do sell a lot of 911 product, this was a car I used personally for about seven months before we officially listed it for sale. I put about 800 miles on it at that time.

Sincerely,

Brett J. Levine
Automobile Consultant
driveanything.com
Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I reached out and asked in case anyone here is interested in buying it. They got it from an Alfa dealer in Maryland. I copied what they said below.

As to value, if it's nice $69k is reasonable under normal circumstances. Today? Not sure who's buying. My business had a 10% uptick this week including some big-ticket stuff, but that could be due to people being locked up and PLUS we had some really great buys. In times like this people want value: They also want a diversion from CNN.. I for one wouldn't be car shopping. This could be a time of some forced humility.

"Hi Kevin,

That’s very strange because I purchased the car from franchise dealership that was a trade on an Alfa Romeo, but it was in Maryland. No time was the car in California, the only assumption I can make is perhaps there’s a correlation or affiliation with the dealership in California?

Occasionally we do get calls from them on trades as they know we do sell a lot of 911 product, this was a car I used personally for about seven months before we officially listed it for sale. I put about 800 miles on it at that time.

Sincerely,

Brett J. Levine
Automobile Consultant
driveanything.com
Oh dear, pretty obsessive to email the guy. Although you have taken this down an unintended rabbit hole, the guy that emailed you back does seem to be a bit disingenuous about just officially listing it for sale 7 months ago.

. . . (1) Driveanything has had the car listed on Cargurus for 434 days (14 1/2 months ago) and the car was listed for sale on Gurus 10 prior by another dealership (445 days ago).

. . . (2) Car Fax says Ferrari of Newport listed it for sale on January 8, 2019 (445 days ago?), and that Driveanything listed it for sale on January 19. 2019 (434 days ago?).

The one consistency here is Carfax and Cargurus seem to correspond and they are tracking by Vin #.

RE: My Original Point

Before you took this down a rabbit hole, my only comment was it would seemed strange for a dealer to wholesale a 997.2 GTS in 2019 "unless it had needs or warts." You then stated that Ferrari of Newport never sold used Porsches implying nothing strange or car had no needs or warts, but now you are saying it was sold whole by an AR dealer in Maryland so we are back to my original comment . . . why would an AR dealer (be it California, Maryland or on Mars) dump 997.2 GTS with only 31k miles unless it had needs or warts.

Nothing I ever said was meant to be gospel. Just raised something I saw as strange.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

One owner cab 997.2 no accident with 6sp manual.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=264997675
Old 03-29-2020, 09:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vincent713
One owner cab 997.2 no accident with 6sp manual.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=264997675
Nice!. Look at the price history jump around on that thing.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Selling my 2009 c2s manual, triple black, ~28,000 miles, first and only owner, never tracked or abused, sport Chrono, sports seats, spacers, Bose, Nav, Sat radio.....No accidents, completely stock except for tint. Making room for Spyder.
Babied for 11 yrs
First $50k takes it , before going to the dealer in Atl area.
Would have asker $55k last month.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Selling my 2009 c2s manual, triple black, ~28,000 miles, first and only owner, never tracked or abused, sport Chrono, sports seats, spacers, Bose, Nav, Sat radio.....No accidents, completely stock except for tint. Making room for Spyder.
Babied for 11 yrs
First $50k takes it , before going to the dealer in Atl area.
Would have asker $55k last month.
Nice. Would have sold quickly last month as several were looking for an unwrecked low mileage manual for less than $60k. That looks to be a nice car and a great deal. I would have paid up to $52k for it last month and tried to flip it. Great opportunity for someone with cash to burn.

Porsche or Ferrari spyder?
Old 03-31-2020, 12:18 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Oh dear, pretty obsessive to email the guy. Although you have taken this down an unintended rabbit hole, the guy that emailed you back does seem to be a bit disingenuous about just officially listing it for sale 7 months ago.

. . . (1) Driveanything has had the car listed on Cargurus for 434 days (14 1/2 months ago) and the car was listed for sale on Gurus 10 prior by another dealership (445 days ago).

. . . (2) Car Fax says Ferrari of Newport listed it for sale on January 8, 2019 (445 days ago?), and that Driveanything listed it for sale on January 19. 2019 (434 days ago?).

The one consistency here is Carfax and Cargurus seem to correspond and they are tracking by Vin #.

Before you took this down a rabbit hole, my only comment was it would seemed strange for a dealer to wholesale a 997.2 GTS in 2019 "unless it had needs or warts." You then stated that Ferrari of Newport never sold used Porsches implying nothing strange or car had no needs or warts, but now you are saying it was sold whole by an AR dealer in Maryland so we are back to my original comment . . . why would an AR dealer (be it California, Maryland or on Mars) dump 997.2 GTS with only 31k miles unless it had needs or warts.

Nothing I ever said was meant to be gospel. Just raised something I saw as strange.

Doug H, I was a General manager and Wholesaler in the automotive business for 16 years, and you are100% correct. Dealers are in it to make money, and if that car (GTS) was no excuses, they would have sold it regardless of what franchise they represent. Porsche is an easy sell, and of course the GTS is very desirable. They would have undercut a Porsche dealer, and turned a quick $6,000 or so. As a franchised new car dealer, the overwhelming percentage of profit comes from your used car department, and the ones you may the big money on are the trades which are easier to steal. Auction cars are not high profit. Also, as I've said here before, small independent lots generally only have access to problem cars, because those are the only ones that get taken to auction. I would never purchase a car, especially a high end car like a Porsche from a no-name independent. Trade-ins and off lease cars are kept by dealers because of the profit they can generate.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:40 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice. Would have sold quickly last month as several were looking for an unwrecked low mileage manual for less than $60k. That looks to be a nice car and a great deal. I would have paid up to $52k for it last month and tried to flip it. Great opportunity for someone with cash to burn.

Porsche or Ferrari spyder?
718 Spyder.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

This is the thread to help other people by getting information. Whatever it is, wherever it comes from, I'm thankful for it. And the reason I help is I found my last car purchase HERE. I see frauds, I point them out. I see anything pertinent, I point it out. Because it's fun, or maybe I find something I can't live without. New people appreciate help and this is a great thread that involves people with experience, including you. And everyone deserves a hand that contributes. You do a great job of that.

Had you gotten the information it would be "insightful" or "helpful". If someone else does, they are "obsessive" and "taking the thread down a rabbit hole". Whatever it is that drives you to take little, petty, personal shots at people here is so strange ....especially for a guy that at least from appearance, is successful. Some people enjoy the sport of trying to be top dog. I find it embarrassing. I mean...25 years ago I got into that sh*t during USENET newsgroup days. But I'm older now, and hopefully a little bit wiser. And it doesn't feel good to insult people. It's fun in the moment, but there's afterburn.

I'm glad you're here Doug, and that you track down so many listings, sharing your knowledge. I suspect you've helped somebody either buy a great car or avoid a crappy one.
The following 5 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
Adams (04-01-2020), Bobby 911 (04-17-2020), chekraze (04-02-2020), TerrestrialFlyte (03-31-2020), Unframed (04-05-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 358 Posts

1-owner 6-speed 997.2 4S Cab, 30K miles:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=269234978
Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
1-owner 6-speed 997.2 4S Cab, 30K miles:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=269234978
I love that place's cars this C4S cab is very nice. Some really special PTS turbos on their site.

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/

Check out this Zanzibar Red 997.1 turbo on their site.

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/2007...urbo-c-170.htm
Old 04-01-2020, 10:26 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 358 Posts

Unique listing:

2005 RUF Cab 6-speed

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...carrera-s-ruf/
Old 04-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I love that place's cars this C4S cab is very nice. Some really special PTS turbos on their site.

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/

Check out this Zanzibar Red 997.1 turbo on their site.

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/2007...urbo-c-170.htm

The red car is crazy. I think I love it in a way but then I wonder if I'm crazy for doing so. I asked them to send me the price. You know paint to sample is expensive, but if you do it right you get a bit of or even more in resale.

EDIT - It just sold for $108k....so he states.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)