Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

The Internet. The only place where any keyboard warrior is his mom’s basement can become an expert with instant credibility. Got to love it
Old 01-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
The Internet. The only place where any keyboard warrior is his mom’s basement can become an expert with instant credibility. Got to love it
Lol, we are keyboard warriors here. People with lives don't hang out on forums.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:40 AM
JAAM
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Red 1 owner 2010 manual on eBay
29k miles $50k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Porsch...0AAOSw19JeMJvB
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

Ironic comment from the guy that started this whole debate by making an unfounded claim and presenting it as fact.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Ironic comment from the guy that started this whole debate by making an unfounded claim and presenting it as fact.
Wow, this from the king of unfounded claims. I cited a credible, professional automotive source. What have you done?

Old 01-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ What a strange, unfounded comment.

^ This.

Your first point is a matter of philosophy, but it's based on an assumption that could be wrong. More information is needed. Your second and third points are flatly wrong. Articles noting multiple suspension-related changes for the 997.2-based GTS were published by many disparate sources with firsthand access to Weissach engineers responsible for the GTS (Autocar, EVO, Excellence, R&T, etc). As for the info I shared, it came from similar channels plus a one-on-one interview with the head of 997 development and/or subsequent written questions that required input from Weissach to answer.

What is apparently hard to find is a definitive list of the changes. As a fan of the 997.2 GTS, I'm curious too. But we've come to a strange place on Rennlist when speculative forum posts and hardbound dealer brochures (very low on the totem pole of model info from PAG) are trusted before vetted text for, say, Road & Track or answers/info from Weissach engineers. I only joined this conversation at the request of Prairiedog, and didn't realize it would turn into fellow Rennlisters suggesting I'll print hearsay. That's a pretty serious allegation, and I may need to reevaluate my contributions. The funniest thing here is I actually complimented the GTS in the R&T piece. Lol. Only on Rennlist…

Ah, but there is. You go on to state three differences below, but perhaps your definition of "bespoke suspension" is "utterly different suspension"? I guess I can see that, but even Carrera > GT3 is a matter of degree in the grand scheme of things…and tiny suspension tuning differences can add up to real, palpable changes.

I did a test years ago at Sears Point with a Spec 911 where the only change was damper valving, with Craig Watkins of SmartRacing & Flying Lizard setting the same 911 SC up with three different damper sets and realigning the car each time he swapped the dampers out…all on the same day. Talk about a lot of work! But it was worth it: The leap from new, off-the-shelf Bilstein Sports to custom-revalved Bilsteins was frankly shocking—that old 911 literally felt 10 or 15 years more modern. The third setup, a slight tweak to the rear dampers only, was frankly too subtle for me to pick up on—but it was something the car's owner wanted to try and he preferred it.

On this we agree. I don't think the superb handling of the 997.2 GTS is a coincidence, as it rarely is. From my philosophy of suspension, the differences between the S and GTS you mention above are enough to make the GTS chassis/suspenion unique. The result certainly is, this on top of a Carrera S that already handled well.
I agree Stout. In this case it's simply making some small tweeks. It's already a good suspension on its way out of production because of a new platform coming on line. It means they took their experience with it and pushed it forward. It doesn't mean they reinvented it for the model.

I very much appreciate the insight you gave based on your interviews and investigations.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:32 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I agree Stout. In this case it's simply making some small tweeks. It's already a good suspension on its way out of production because of a new platform coming on line. It means they took their experience with it and pushed it forward. It doesn't mean they reinvented it for the model.

I very much appreciate the insight you gave based on your interviews and investigations.
Small tweaks can add up to a lot. Anecdotally it seems that anyone who has driven both an S and GTS say the GTS is better even with the same parts. The only difference I found is the rear anti-roll bars. Likely due to being a wide body car.

I used to watch NASCAR back when it was fun, all the cars were almost the same. They all made the same horsepower or close. Small changes in tire pressure and suspension adjustments during pit stops to keep up with the track conditions and competition could send a car from the back to the front.

Porsche didn't study their cars and take notes of what works better? With the same components? Small tweaks can add up and/or perhaps a widebody with an S suspension is the magic bullet?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Anyway...back to regularaly scheduled programming...

Now is definitely the bottom of the market, I've seen quite a few nice deals out there in the last month.

997.2 C2 Cab 50k for $37k
https://www.porscheoftysonscorner.co...ource=cars.com
Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Are kidding here? Do you not like Sport Suspension?
No, not kidding at all. You obviously have not researched this. The GTS was designed with. a Bespoke suspension which is responsible for the amazing handling and ride that the car is known for. This is well documented. Porsche never intended for the sport suspension option to be ordered in the GTS - it was an S model option..
Don't even try to turn this around on us....you stated "You obviously have not researched this". The burden of proof is on the person making the claim contrary to popular opinion.
When pressed for "research" that has been "well documented" [sic] it amounted to one line from one magazine.

We aren't arrogant or dumb enough to imply that Pete Stout is wrong. We all know he is an expert. Fortunately he is here to clarify which, thankfully, he has.
We are saying that you made a jerk-ish comment implying that most people are just stupid for not knowing about the famed bespoke 997 GTS suspension.

Correct me if I'm wrong: The Sport Suspension also added a limited-slip diff. (on 2WD models) which is probably the reason Doug H and many others prefer it to the standard one.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 01-29-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:09 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoravos
Anyway...back to regularaly scheduled programming...

Now is definitely the bottom of the market, I've seen quite a few nice deals out there in the last month.

997.2 C2 Cab 50k for $37k
https://www.porscheoftysonscorner.co...ource=cars.com
Pluses: Price, Manual, Moderate Mileage and Accident occurred in 2011.
Minuses: Accident on the Carfax, Cabriolet (to me)

Should be a nice driver for someone out there though.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:15 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Pluses: Price, Manual, Moderate Mileage and Accident occurred in 2011.
Minuses: Accident on the Carfax, Cabriolet (to me)

Should be a nice driver for someone out there though.

Yeah, good driver's car, which is what i'm usually on the lookout for. Having been actively looking for a 997.2 Cab over the summer this is probably at least $3k below what I was seeing. I didn't see any 997.2 with under 60k miles (even with accident/damage) listed under $40k.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

In the used market, cabriolet lovers will always get better deals than coupe lovers. Should be the other way around, what a shame.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:09 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Small tweaks can add up to a lot. Anecdotally it seems that anyone who has driven both an S and GTS say the GTS is better even with the same parts. The only difference I found is the rear anti-roll bars. Likely due to being a wide body car.

I used to watch NASCAR back when it was fun, all the cars were almost the same. They all made the same horsepower or close. Small changes in tire pressure and suspension adjustments during pit stops to keep up with the track conditions and competition could send a car from the back to the front.

Porsche didn't study their cars and take notes of what works better? With the same components? Small tweaks can add up and/or perhaps a widebody with an S suspension is the magic bullet?
I had a 997.2 with 19,000 miles and stock suspension, and I drove a GTS at the same time with stock GTS (not sport), thinking I might want to upgrade. Both were PDK, and that is the reason I decided not to upgrade: I wanted to get back into a manual. Back to the cars however; I couldn't tell a difference! (in terms of suspension; obviously the GTS had sport seats and Alcantara, more power, and looked better, which isn't really the point of this thread)

2 years prior, I almost bought a GTS with sport suspension (before prices went through the roof: I wish I had purchased!). That car was much firmer, much more akin to how a 981 GT4 suspension feels. It would be a bit much for some, but no question, it was beefed up for sporty driving and unmodded track work.

The stock GTS suspension might be more comfortable, but is it higher performing or sportier? No way (unless you have a GTS with stock suspension that you own and are trying to justify not upgrading....then tell yourself whatever makes you sleep better at night. You know it isn't true, but still.....)
Old 01-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Haha, the GTS guys have crashed this thread.
yes and they seem to be a particularly sensitive bunch. you guys should try driving more, posting less. this thread used to be informative but has really gone down the sh!tter.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bobby 911:
nochain19 (01-29-2020), Porsch (01-30-2020), Unframed (01-31-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Carrera 4 Launch Edition

https://www.highlinemotorgroup.com/2...7/Details.aspx

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)