Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftFreak
Why are GTS's so expensive? For 70-80k, you can get a nice 997.1 Turbo 6 spd.
exactly
Old 04-27-2020, 04:30 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
The GTS is a different experience. It’s a true drivers car. I wouldn’t ever consider a turbo anything, including a 911. Numbers are not as important to me as feel.
To each their own but I wouldn't describe the GTS as a better feeling car than a Turbo. Just depends on what you like. I owned both cars simultaneously and to me, the Turbo was a much more exciting car to drive than the GTS. I actually bought my GTS partly based on comments such as yours about it being just a better feeling car, more driver oriented, more pure, etc. I'm also traditionally biased toward RWD and naturally aspirated cars . Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe on a race track I would see the true handling virtues of the GTS. But I'm rarely on a race track and if I was, I'd be in a GT3. The GTS is certainly spectacular, but so is the Turbo. You really have to drive both and decide for yourself. This is just my personal experience. I have no interest in convincing anyone that one car is better than the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
Adams (04-28-2020), gator99sky (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:41 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
To each their own but I wouldn't describe the GTS as a better feeling car than a Turbo. Just depends on what you like. I owned both cars simultaneously and to me, the Turbo was a much more exciting car to drive than the GTS. I actually bought my GTS partly based on comments such as yours about it being just a better feeling car, more driver oriented, more pure, etc. I'm also traditionally biased toward RWD and naturally aspirated cars . Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype. The GTS is spectacular, but so is the Turbo. You really have to drive both and decide for yourself. This is just my personal experience. I have no interest in convincing anyone that one car is better than the other.
Yeah, I’ve got no need to convince anyone either. For some people the Turbo is no doubt the right choice. I was answering a specific question from a poster asking why the GTS is so desirable and holds such good value. My perspective comes from over 1,000,000 miles in a wide variety of cars on the road and also thousands of miles instructing and competing on racetracks across the country. For my use, and many others including the Porsche factory (GT3), a naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive sports car is the only way to go. Turbo buyers tend not to be drivers in the traditional sense and are instead focused on other parts of the car ownership experience. I have no issue with that. We are all free to get whatever it is that we want out of our cars, and each of us are right for ourselves! Any 911 is an exceptional car. While I have no interest in a Turbo, I have spent many miles on track in Turbo and Turbo S models, and the things they can do for their drivers is astounding.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:58 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Yeah, I’ve got no need to convince anyone either. For some people the Turbo is no doubt the right choice. I was answering a specific question from a poster asking why the GTS is so desirable and holds such good value. My perspective comes from over 1,000,000 miles in a wide variety of cars on the road and also thousands of miles instructing and competing on racetracks across the country. For my use, and many others including the Porsche factory (GT3), a naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive sports car is the only way to go. Turbo buyers tend not to be drivers in the traditional sense and are instead focused on other parts of the car ownership experience. I have no issue with that. We are all free to get whatever it is that we want out of our cars, and each of us are right for ourselves! Any 911 is an exceptional car. While I have no interest in a Turbo, I have spent many miles on track in Turbo and Turbo S models, and the things they can do for their drivers is astounding.
Sounds like you and I typically like similar cars. I've only had rear wheel drive sport cars my entire life before buying the Turbo. I value handling and road feel over power. I have more fun in a Miata than in a Hellcat. I cursed AWD sports cars since I was in HS. The 911 Turbo changed all that for me. It's hard to explain, it just feels like a more complete car. Again, just suggesting people actually drive both since GTS prices are now approaching Turbo prices. If the GTS was at a $20k discount to the Turbo then I think it would be a pretty obvious choice. But when the prices are similar, it becomes a much tougher decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
Adams (04-28-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:12 PM
Dr.H
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Color you don't see very often.
2006 C2 Mexico Blue Triptronic, 61k miles, $43k

http://dadsclassiccars.com/used-2006...741384-1184625

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...RE-MEXICO-BLUE
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.H:
Doug H (04-28-2020), lexhair (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Valid point...but I think it lacks perspective. A 911 Turbo is a 911....people who buy 911s tend to be drivers, unlike the demographic who buys a base Panamera or 4 cylinder Macan.
Are Turbo owners as "Because, race car" as a GT2 RS buyer? Not at all but they're much closer than the aforementioned buyers.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 04-28-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:26 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Valid point...but I think it lacks perspective. A 911 Turbo is a 911....people who buy 911s tend to be drivers, unlike the demographic who buys a base Panamera or 4 cylinder Macan.

Abe, I've got a different perspective than you then. There are many, maybe even a majority now, of 911 buyers who aren't drivers. Not on this forum for sure, but out of Porsche's total sales, the true drivers are few these days.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Abe, I've got a different perspective than you then. There are many, maybe even a majority now, of 911 buyers who aren't drivers. Not on this forum for sure, but out of Porsche's total sales, the true drivers are few these days.
Please define "true drivers".
Is track time necessary to be a "true driver" ?
Does a targa or cab or PDK disqualify one as a "true driver"?
I am not attempting to be sarcastic, but just looking for sincere clarification as to how many may feel here.
Are you referring to passion (regardless of power of the vehicle) rather than a transportation appliance ?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:29 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
I am not attempting to be sarcastic, but just looking for sincere clarification as to how many may feel here.
Are you referring to passion (regardless of power of the vehicle) rather than a transportation appliance ?

I'm sure "drivers" know they are drivers. And I'm equally sure the overwhelming majority of people on forums like this one consider themselves drivers of one type or another. Then there are the people who simply shop badges so they can brag that they drive a "Porsch" or a "Beemer". C'mon, surely you know what we're talking about.
The following users liked this post:
lexhair (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 02:33 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Are Turbo owners as "Because, race car" as a GT2 RS buyer? Not at all but they're much closer than the aforementioned buyers.
What does that mean for someone who has a 911 AND a base Panamera 4? Asking for a friend.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by lexhair
What does that mean for someone who has a 911 AND a base Panamera 4? Asking for a friend.
Your "friend" is a driver who is practical and possesses good taste?
The following 3 users liked this post by Abe Froman:
admranger (04-28-2020), lexhair (04-28-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Someone who buys a 911 because of the driving characteristics and heritage would be my definition of a driver.

Plenty of people drive bad-*** 911s though that are simply doing so because they like the looks of the car or want to show off. Like the lady who, when commented on how gorgeous her bumblebee GT3 RS 991.2 looked, responded "this old thing?" Or the woman who drives her 992 C4S around with the spoiler stuck in the upwards position. I see her 5x a week, or used to before CV. Always with the spoiler stuck up.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:12 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Someone who buys a 911 because of the driving characteristics and heritage would be my definition of a driver.

Plenty of people drive bad-*** 911s though that are simply doing so because they like the looks of the car or want to show off. Like the lady who, when commented on how gorgeous her bumblebee GT3 RS 991.2 looked, responded "this old thing?" Or the woman who drives her 992 C4S around with the spoiler stuck in the upwards position. I see her 5x a week, or used to before CV. Always with the spoiler stuck up.
I think *generally* people driving older sports cars are more likely to be "drivers" while people driving the latest and greatest are trying to project an image.
That GT3 RS lady sounds like she was trying to be modest and self-deprecating:-)
Man we got off-topic!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:15 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I think *generally* people driving older sports cars are more likely to be "drivers" while people driving the latest and greatest are trying to project an image.
That GT3 RS lady sounds like she was trying to be modest and self-deprecating:-)
Man we got off-topic!
Any lady driving a GT3 RS is okay in my book.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug H:
admranger (04-28-2020), paddlefoot64 (04-28-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:49 PM
admranger
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The red GTS with red gauges and belts is a beauty! A year too early for my current buying schedule...

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)